Kaepernick and the National Anthem

If one is getting pissed off, then they are taking it personal. Don't take it personal.

"Dont Take Anything Personally

Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you wont be the victim of needless suffering."

Wow. That's almost...zen. I wouldn't have thought your knowledge of Eastern philosophy went beyond water softeners. You've been hanging out with Asian carp for too long.

Shady .................

BILLS Player Invites Cops to Game vs. Kaepernick...

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — Bills running back LeSean McCoy said he is inviting 15-20 Buffalo police officers to an upcoming game at a time when the 49ers visit Buffalo next and quarterback Colin Kaepernick is protesting police and the treatment of African-Americans and minorities.

McCoy said the gesture was not a direct response to Kaepernick’s kneeling protests during the national anthem, and that he has no problem with his protests. Kaepernick is set to start for the first time this year on Sunday against the Bills. McCoy said it has yet to be determined if the police officers will attend this weekend’s game or Buffalo’s following home game on Oct. 30 against New England.

“Just an appreciation type of thing,” McCoy said. “Cause they’re taking so much heat right now. There’s things that are happening that’s definitely wrong but I just feel like there’s bad people, there’s bad cops and there’s good cops.”

McCoy revealed the invitation when asked about the attention surrounding Kaepernick and his protests.

That can be debateable about how you interpret "law enforcement." Wasn't one of the MAJOR causes of the war, that the British impressment of SOME of our sailors.

There was the British Constitution you know...

"Though the public opposed conscription in general, impressment was repeatedly upheld by the courts, as it was deemed vital to the strength of the navy and, by extension, to the survival of the realm."

Unless his employer doesn't mind.

It was a legal practice in England under King Edward, common during wartime, and practiced since the 1200's

Wrong war

Great Britain was still the pre-eminent world authority on land and sea during this time... They still held land and colonies in the Americas apart from the 13 they lost in the revolutionary war... For years after the revolutionary war, they continued to fight a proxy-war with the colonies by arming Native American tribes that stood against American expansion.

It's only debatable if you're an idiot. "Impressment" was not "law enforcement," it was conscription. And the issue of impressment wasn't about some point of common law, it was about the British refusal to recognize claims of American citizenship.

Refusal to recognize American citizenship was not not strange at all, under the circumstances.... Secondly, How did you cook up some crazy correlation between this and anything to anything that happened in Nazi Germany?

Edited by #34fan

No, let's forget that, and instead remember it's a poem about armed resistance to the British during the War of 1812. The Royal Navy wasn't bombarding Ft. McHenry under the guise of "law enforcement." You nitwit.

Anyone ever tell you you're a real d___ sometimes?... Have one of your grandkids read you the dictionary definition below...

Ballad Bal-lad - 1. A narrative poem often of folk origin and intended to be sung. consisting of simple stanzas, and usually having a refrain...

In this case, the verses were set to music written back in 1773... I know the song, the poem, and the history surrounding it... Just FYI, The Crown's fleet was used for all manner of law-enforcement... From putting down uprisings, to babysitting ports, to enforcing blockades.... The Royal Navy may not have been operating like a "Law enforcement entity" at Ft McHenry, But they were still very much the preeminent authority on the seas...

Anyone ever tell you you're a real d___ sometimes?... Have one of your grandkids read you the dictionary definition below...

Ballad Bal-lad - 1. A narrative poem often of folk origin and intended to be sung. consisting of simple stanzas, and usually having a refrain...

In this case, the verses were set to music written back in 1773... I know the song, the poem, and the history surrounding it... Just FYI, The Crown's fleet was used for all manner of law-enforcement... From putting down uprisings, to babysitting ports, to enforcing blockades.... The Royal Navy may not have been operating like a "Law enforcement entity" at Ft McHenry, But they were still very much the preeminent authority on the seas...

So just to be clear...your argument is that verses written in 1814 are a ballad that predates the writing of the verses by some 40 or so years, referring to the resistance to a law enforcement authority that had no authority over the people actually doing the resisting and wasn't enforcing any law. And you've actually thought this through, and think it makes sense?

You are an imbecile.

It's only debatable if you're an idiot. "Impressment" was not "law enforcement," it was conscription. And the issue of impressment wasn't about some point of common law, it was about the British refusal to recognize claims of American citizenship.

It's highly debateable.... At the time, It was not uncommon for deserters of the Royal Navy to Join the crew of American Merchant ships... The concept of Territorial waters was loose, if not nonexistent in most places.. The Crown had a policy not dissimilar to "stop and frisk" -Except they could actually produce a warrant.

So just to be clear...your argument is that verses written in 1814 are a ballad that predates the writing of the verses by some 40 or so years, referring to the resistance to a law enforcement authority that had no authority over the people actually doing the resisting and wasn't enforcing any law. And you've actually thought this through, and think it makes sense?

You are an imbecile.

It's a fact... The tune for the star-spangled banner was written in 1773 for a DRINKING song... Stop being such a whiny little girl..

Edited by #34fan

I've been up all night discovering that what I THOUGHT to be an issue in the war of 1812 was purely irrelevant.

As it turns out, this song, and the war it belongs to, has even more debatable aspects...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-war-of-1812-102320130/

In the interest of enlightenment, and historical accuracy, I've deleted one of my previous posts... I maintain that the star spangled banner is one of the most misunderstood hymns in existence... Aside from being a poem grafted to a 16th century DRINKING SONG, the politics of the man who wrote it are questionable at best by modern American standards... Francis Scott Key stood for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT America than the one we live in today...

The more Info I gather, the more I realize that the entire issue of the National Anthem needs to be revisited... My apologies to the board for any inaccuracies conveyed by me.

Edited by #34fan

Francis Scott Key stood for a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT America than the one we live in today...

If accuracy is the concern, then it's safe to say that Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Washington, Hamilton, Franklin, Paine, etc, etc, etc all believed in (or stood for if you prefer) a completely different America than the one in which we live today.

Yes, All of them... That'd be a fair assumption. Of course, you could also assume that NONE of them could have perceived American society the way it is now...

I think if any of those mentioned above written our national anthem, their morality should be held up to the light as well...

It's highly debateable.... At the time, It was not uncommon for deserters of the Royal Navy to Join the crew of American Merchant ships... The concept of Territorial waters was loose, if not nonexistent in most places.. The Crown had a policy not dissimilar to "stop and frisk" -Except they could actually produce a warrant.

It's a fact... The tune for the star-spangled banner was written in 1773 for a DRINKING song... Stop being such a whiny little girl..

So now you're going to go with the theme song of the Anacreontic Society being about resistance to law enforcement?

Why don't you get back to us when you actually know what the !@#$ it is you're talking about.

So now you're going to go with the theme song of the Anacreontic Society being about resistance to law enforcement?

Why don't you get back to us when you actually know what the !@#$ it is you're talking about.

Tom, It's very hard for most normal people to stoop to your level... Whatever your psychological issue is, It reigns supreme on this board... I can't insult someone I truly feel sorry for.

I think if any of those mentioned above written our national anthem, their morality should be held up to the light as well...

Their morality is frequently scrutinized, especially these days. Who among them has not had everything they sacrificed and stood for ridiculed because many were slave owners? Anyone with intellect knows that despite their moral failures, their legacy is probably the greatest in human history.

Greatest in human history? :lol: That's another thread... Many people did many things to advance humanity to this stage... Many sacrifices were made by countless heroes unsung... In the last 24 hours, I rediscovered a part of history I thought I knew... I knew about the omitted verses in the SSB, but chose to put them in context of the times... The fact is, If you were a slave owner, you also owned part of the murder, rape, abuse, and degradation those people endured under that system...

F. Scott Key, from all accounts wasn't the worst guy in the world... Some of the info I gathered speak of him freeing many of his own slaves... Even defending blacks in court on numerous occasions...

However... He was an owner.... He helped perpetuate that greedy, heartless, blood-soaked, machine known as the slave trade...

If our society truly represents freedom of choice, and expression, then we HAVE to respect the choice of some African- Americans NOT to observe a poem written by a white, slave-owning lawyer about a ferocious battle which he WATCHED from the safety of a ship EIGHT MILES away....