Kaepernick and the National Anthem

You realize that the cartoon is characterizing people who disagree with taking a knee for the anthem that way, correct?

If you want to interpret it that broadly, but I didn't. I am thinking of the stereotype of those that fly the confederate flag and criticize the protests. Lots of people can't stand the confederate flag and criticize the protest. I am not lumping them together,

You're giving him too much credit.

Where's the Objective Interpretation of Cartoons Manual?

If you want to interpret it that broadly, but I didn't. I am thinking of the stereotype of those that fly the confederate flag and criticize the protests. Lots of people can't stand the confederate flag and criticize the protest. I am not lumping them together,

And a lot of people have a problem with this so-called "protest", not because of an abstract sense of patriotism, but because it is an attack on the people of this country and western culture generally.

They live in the most egalitarian society in the history of the world, one that has bent over backwards to give them equality, often to the detriment of the majority, and they have the audacity to spit in our faces and whine about how racist we are and how oppressed they are.

There's a lot to be said for someone who has the courage to stand up for himself in the face of adversity to defend his rights. But there's a clear distinction between that and a pampered brat throwing a temper tantrum over perceived micro-aggressions.

That's not politics injecting itself into anything. That's a company contracting to do a promotion as a form of paid advertising.

I'm assuming that's part of the defense budget so that would absolutely be politics injecting itself. Your tax dollars are going directly to the NFL to require the players to stand for the anthem. Here's an article on it. http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/09/19/defense-department-paid-sports-teams-53m-taxpayer-dollars-play-anthem-stage-over-the-top-military-tributes/

I'm assuming that's part of the defense budget so that would absolutely be politics injecting itself. Your tax dollars are going directly to the NFL to require the players to stand for the anthem. Here's an article on it. http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/09/19/defense-department-paid-sports-teams-53m-taxpayer-dollars-play-anthem-stage-over-the-top-military-tributes/

We need to have a military. We live in a country where our military service is non-compulsory, which is a truly amazing thing given the way the world has always worked throughout history.

The military has to advertise.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Why !@#$ for free if she's going to pay you for it?

True. God forbid the leagues that make obscene amounts of profits anyways just make the players stand for the anthem out of patriotism for this country.

Edited by Doc Brown

That's not politics injecting itself into anything. That's a company contracting to do a promotion as a form of paid advertising.

Bingo! Let's go back to the old way. I liked it better then. And the players will no longer have to suffer the oppression of being used as military recruitment tools against their will.

LMAO

DKh2YBfUIAAbmkp.jpg

Can you explain what Kap is protesting? Is it that racist cops kill twice as many whites than blacks every year? Or that blacks are killing each other in record numbers? Or that his black dad ran out on him, so a white couple took him in, gave him an education, got a scholarship from a white run school, and made millions from a white NFL owner. Damn those racist Whities that gave him every chance to succeed.

And the problem with this is what, you feel the DoD could get a better return if they go back to the 'Army of One' commercials?

Do you also have a problem with the government spending money to advertise enrollment dates for the ACA?

I feel dumb and naive for not even knowing the DoD paid the major sports leagues for the athletes to stand for the National Anthem. I just thought it was decent patriotism. So the NFL has Salute to Service games, breast cancer awareness month where I'm forced to see pink everywhere, United Way, NFL Play 60, etc... but they need money in order to have their players stand up on the field for the National Anthem? Pathetic. Does Canada pay the NHL for playing Oh Canada?

21766408_10154888285451931_3042401712804

If that's actually true, I'd be curious to see what the govt actually contacted the NFL for.

Assuming the agreement didn't say anything about how they appear during the anthem, I'd stop playing for ****ty NFL service.

Now if the govt was paying the NFL to have players stand at attention during the anthem, I'd sue the NFL if I was the govt.

As a note, I'm ok with the DoD halting payments to the NFL. Mostly because, JHFC the NFL makes enough money that they can cover it themselves for those publicity stunts.

As for the flag thing...

Look, I understand that people are upset about the flag kneeling thing. To ape Firefly, I understand, but I don't comprehend. But I accept that.

But come on, the kneeling for the anthem was dying out people. Less and less attention was being paid. It was old news, and the best way to stop a movement designed to generate publicity would be to ignore it.

Instead, our President put them back in the limelight and fed it.

Reporters had said that they heard a lot of whispers that players privately supported the protests, but many didn't join because they were worried about making the team, or about their contracts. They, like a lot of people, agreed with a stance but didn't say anything because it meant they might not have a job. But when some blowhard says that people should be able to fire you on caprice, and insults people at every level of your organization, no schiesse, it galvanized people.

I'd say most people don't like players protesting during the anthem because the NFL made it a pseudo-salute to service military ceremony. Some folks find it distasteful to take the attention away from that and draw it to other things. They don't want these players to never be activists or to never speak out, just that they find a proper time and place to do so. I'd say, from my experience, that's how a huge chunk of the "!@#$ Kaep" crowd feels.

Rightly or wrongly, the anthem had become ingrained in football and our American culture had conjoined it with patriotism and supporting the troops. You saw it way back in the first Bills Super Bowl with the show of force during the anthem. It was a symbol of America and our military.

I don't think they should "do away," with the anthem. This saga sucks on all sides, but the anthem is football. Far too often we call our football players warriors and preach about their sense of leadership, toughness and devotion when the true warriors get less attention. Remembering who are the real heroes is important. Maybe not to some soulless parasitic leeches, but it's important to the heart of America.