Pure Genius: Patriots Acquire Mingo from Cleveland

I'd like to add that Belichick is brilliant.

Rex must be a god in your opinion? Say what you want, the guy is a proven winner. If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

Super Bowl champion (XXI, XXV, XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX)

AFC champion (1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014)

NFC champion (1986, 1990)

AP NFL Coach of the Year (2003, 2007, 2010)

NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Edited by DirtDart

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. I know the Pats certainly miss on their share of players but I hate moves like this. Do I think there's a chance that he might be a good player in NE instead of the tire fire that's Cleveland? Of course. NE just did this with

Sheard who put up his best sack numbers since his rookie year with them.

I'm always in favor of getting former high draft picks for low costs, barring major issues. Jerry Highes was a failure in INd and we stole him. It's amazing what a winning culture can do for a player.

Aren't we hoping for the same thing with Lawson?

For some reason, I have a feeling Belichick will make the transition as easy as possible for him.

Sure, we stole him, but I'm lost on the winning culture thing. The we that stole him is the Bills organization, right? A winning culture here is not what turned it around for Hughes. Or did I misinterpret what you wrote. Just looks weird to follow that 1st underlined sentence with the next sentence. They just don't go together.

The Bills' situation is miserable? That's just plain miserable silliness to compare the two.

Well, while it was joking a bit, since you mention comparison... that inept team has the second longest streak of post season absence/futility in the NFL. Guess who is comparatively worse, by three seasons?

Well, while it was joking a bit, since you mention comparison... that inept team has the second longest streak of post season absence/futility in the NFL. Guess who is comparatively worse, by three seasons?

I was specifically comparing draft choices in the 5 year period.

@RapSheet

Barkevious Mingo saw his 5th-year option declined & didn’t fit in the new coaching staff. Can he have a #Pats resurgence like Jabaal Sheard?

Except Sheard signed as a FA and had time to learn the playbook and the Patriot** way.

I can't imagine coming in when TC is practically over is going to help Mingo.

Sheard not being retained was because Pettine's didn't think he fit his scheme - and that was stupid. Sheard has talent. Mingo was a horrific pick by the most hated GM Cleveland has ever had, Mike Lombardi. Honestly, Mingo could be a decent situational pass rusher - if he can locate the QB once in the backfield. He has had trouble with that though. I'm surprised they managed to dump him for a 5th and jettison his guaranteed salary. I wonder if they'd have interest in fellow bust, Justin Gilbert.

Agreed but the Moss trade alone is enough to offset any lack of success with the others.

I seriously doubt that is true.

Sure, we stole him, but I'm lost on the winning culture thing. The we that stole him is the Bills organization, right? A winning culture here is not what turned it around for Hughes. Or did I misinterpret what you wrote. Just looks weird to follow that 1st underlined sentence with the next sentence. They just don't go together.

At least the Bills are trending upward and knocking on the door.

Haha. I was talking more about the Pats.

I will say that the defense that Hughes joined in Buffalo (Mario, Kyle, Dareus) was miles better than what he had in Indy.

Same old problem with this argument: if you are a genius, you don't wait until the 6th round to pick a top-5 all-time NFL QB.

EDIT: And, go to Chiefsplanet and ask them what they think about "The Patriot* Way". Christ, they've hired everybody from that entire team, players and coaches, and none of it worked. They didn't start getting better until the got rid of everybody from the Pats. Chiefs fans will tell you the Patriot* Way is BS. Or, is Tom Brady.

Brady didn't even play enough at Michigan to be a sleeper. He's a 6th round flyer...that makes Belechick look great...and this will be proven by: how long Belechick sticks around when Brady leaves the game. Ego-wise, I'm pretty sure Belechick will try to coach the year after. I see them crashing and burning, and Belechick exiting quickly to prevent any permanent tarnish. And, he might just quit the same day Brady does. But, remember:

Belechick sucked in Cleveland, before he got to the Patriots, so, you never know. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Other times they just suck

:lol::thumbsup:

Belechick sucked in Cleveland, before he got to the Patriots, so, you never know. :lol:

It did seem like he was turning that program around, laid the foundation for those great ravens teams. Was a great 30 for 30 on it.

:lol::thumbsup:

It did seem like he was turning that program around, laid the foundation for those great ravens teams. Was a great 30 for 30 on it.

How? He was Cleveland's HC from 1991-1995. They had one player (Larry Webster, a career backup) from those years on the great Ravens teams (meaning 2000 and beyond).

:huh:

2010: 4-12

2011: 6-10

2012: 6-10

2013: 6-10

2014: 9-7

2015: 8-8

I must have missed the trend.

Or you cant read what you just posted, or are not smart enough to understand. Both are believable given your posting history.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Or you cant read what you just posted, or are not smart enough to understand. Both are believable given your posting history.

:lol:

Come the !@#$ on.

6 > 4

9 > 6

8 > 6

You know, math.

Riiight. Dude, we've been within 2 games of 8-8 for pretty much the past 15 years. That's a flatline, not an upward trend.