NFL’s Policy on Cannabis

ALF

Unlike the NBA and MLB, the NFL has actually taken recent steps to lessen punishment for positive Cannabis tests(See Josh Gordon). A tangible example of this was the raising of the threshold for a positive test from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 35ng/ml.

In addition the NFL uses suspension as a last resort, coming into effect after the fourth positive test.

That shouldn’t surprise anyone given that the NFL, more than any other sport, does everything it can to keep players on the field.

Here is the NFL breakdown:

First Infraction – Mandatory Rehabilitation Program

Second Infraction – 2 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)

Third Infraction – 4 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)

Fourth Infraction – 4 Game Suspension

Fifth Infraction – 10 Game Suspension

That’s right, the NHL does NOT include Cannabis on its list of banned substances

Edited by ALF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that it's an illegal substance, in most places anyways, but can't understand why they are concerned with a drug that offers no competitive edge when it comes to a players ability.

It's all about the public image of the league. Except that you wonder if they're not hurting their image more by outing these guys and suspending them than if they just let them smoke their weed in private and in peace.

It's all about the public image of the league. Except that you wonder if they're not hurting their image more by outing these guys and suspending them than if they just let them smoke their weed in private and in peace.

I wonder the same. There are plenty of reputable workplaces that don't regularly test for weed. Suspend them if becomes a legal issue

I get the public image part but when you're suspending guys for 4+ games for smoking weed while suspending guys for 1-2 games for domestic violence, you've got your priorities wrong. Edited by The Wiz

Public image... when I think most Americans support legalization these days.

That's the thing about it. It seems either people support the legalization or just don't care. I really don't see a lot of public outcry about how it should still be illegal.

Hell, even d.a.r.e. removed it from their gateway drug list.

Why risk it? If the banned list had on it bananas, waffles, and milk, then don't eat bananas, waffles, and milk.

These pro athletes are supposedly so self-disciplined With their training; they need to be disciplined about following the rules too.

Probably because most of these guys aren't actually risking anything. You can be tested once per year if you're not in the substance abuse program, and after that you can smoke all you want until next training camp. The only people that are actually risking anything are those that are in the substance abuse program and can be tested like twice a week.

What kills me is that its the offseason.

I can understand if its during the season but come on.

They are getting paid in the off season and dont start getting paychecks until September. So if someone wants to smoke some weed in May or June, who cares? As long as they are clean when they report back for work

Now that being said, rules are rules and Dareus knew them. He really did put himself first and that pisses me off

CBF

Its going to change eventually... I would much rather have players smoking weed then drinking alcohol, taking pain pills, or any other self medicating option

But that being said when your making millions weed should be an easy thing to set aside

Why risk it? If the banned list had on it bananas, waffles, and milk, then don't eat bananas, waffles, and milk.

These pro athletes are supposedly so self-disciplined With their training; they need to be disciplined about following the rules too.

There is a legit reason to risk it, it offers an alternative to powerful and much more addictive prescription pain medications. Some (not all for sure, but some) players use it because prescription pain killers are flat out dangerous to use at the levels these people need to use them on a daily basis. On the other hand, you could smoke a little weed, not become physically addicted and cause minimal (if any) additional harm to your body.

The ONLY reason it is still illegal is because giant pharma lobby big time to keep it that way so they can keep patients addicted to their artificially created medications instead of someone growing their own medication. The gov't is bought and paid for. It's that simple.

Edited by Mark80

Unlike the NBA and MLB, the NFL has actually taken recent steps to lessen punishment for positive Cannabis tests(See Josh Gordon). A tangible example of this was the raising of the threshold for a positive test from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 35ng/ml.
In addition the NFL uses suspension as a last resort, coming into effect after the fourth positive test.
That shouldn’t surprise anyone given that the NFL, more than any other sport, does everything it can to keep players on the field.
Here is the NFL breakdown:
First Infraction – Mandatory Rehabilitation Program
Second Infraction – 2 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)
Third Infraction – 4 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)
Fourth Infraction – 4 Game Suspension
Fifth Infraction – 10 Game Suspension
That’s right, the NHL does NOT include Cannabis on its list of banned substances

So, according to this (and assuming it is for weed), Dareus has committed his FIFTH infraction. These guys are killing me. :wallbash:

Well I read one article that said Dareus issue might have actually been missing a test or a few tests. Which counts as a failed test. And since he was in the program, he is subject to upto 10 tests a month. It is just a ****ty situation from the get go...plain and simple.

Let's get this straight.

As a good pro bowl type player and a university grad. I have the opportunity to earn the respect of teammates, fans, family and can use my fame to do good things for my family,and the community.

Conservatively I could earn $2,000,000 per year for 4 years, then $10,000,000 per year for likely a maximum of 5 years and if I am really good another $6,000,000 for 2 years.

I can lose 10% or 25% or 50% of that if I continually smoke pot, take illegal substances or beat up my spouse....or I can collect the total $70,000,000 if I don't do these dumb things, keep my respect, help others and never look behind me and deceive those around me.

Marcel is a useless person. He does not deserve cheering for, or buying his jersey, or being a Bill. He has had his gimme.

Don't need to hear about his poor life, where he came from or how the NFL should allow pot. Lots of good people in the NFL came from the same place.

I agree with just about everything said here. I'm proud at the rational, scientifically supported stance that most of us are taking. It certainly shouldn't be tested for and its only a matter of time before it's not. The players will continue to concede more power to the league to test for performance enhancers in exchange for loosening its stance on weed.

With that being said, you simply can't keep getting caught. As it stands now Dareus is a guy that needs to kick the habit because he's in the program. It's almost like being on probation. There's things that your friends not on probation can do that you just can't.