Cardale body language/ pocket presence very Jim Kelly??

Bocephuz

Ok.. Before you flame away.. I'm not putting him in the HOF yet.. And Yes I know it is a 4th quarter preseason performance against scrubs.

With my disclaimer out of the way..None of the Bills QBs in the last 20 years has remotely reminded me of #12 ... but Jones's body language/ style immediately did.. From the first time I saw his college tape. And Sat night confirmed

Did he not pass the first glance test??. Consider he is new to taking snaps under center and not from the Gun all the time like he did in college.

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/videos/10154202841985659/

OK ... Here are the specific Kellyisms:

Classic over head throwing delivery ...check ( that throw to O' Leary over the middle was total Jim Kelly.. I've seen that throw to Andre Reed a hundred times... Watch and tell me otherwise?)

Tall Calm Pocket Presence.. Check

Situational Awareness..(run to sticks on 4th down)... check

Cockiness... ( he yelled at Roman to change play on last drive) ... Check

Insinct to step up into pocket rather than spin and scramble ... Check

Rifle Arm... Check

Big Tough Presence... Check

Let me be clear... The best thing for him is to sit on the bench this year and learn the nuances of the pro game.

I will go on the record here and now saying as long as he doesn't get ruined by having to play for any significant time in'16...move ahead in time and If TT gets injured at any time in '17.. Cardale will be a legit threat to steal TT's job sooner rather than later

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

its nice to have hope, but this kid wasn't a first round selection. any other draft out of that out of that year kelly would have been first choice. that was a hell of draft.

Just observing his general demeanor, throwing style and presence .. That's all. Clearly he is not as ready / polished as JK was in '83

Has mouth...check,two arms..yup,legs..uh huh,Bills uniform that too its uncanny.lol.looked good bro but I'll hold off on the Jim Kelly stuff till after the second preseason game

Putting the future projections aside.. At the very least doesnt he physically resemble Kelly on the field? Am I way off base here?

I get it, OP. He appears confident and at-ease out there. Looks like he is always having fun. I like that, and JK behaved similarly on the football field. Big arm with a monster physical presence. Rookies, especially supposed project QB's, don't typically climb the pocket and hit Powell with that laser.

We are all cautiously optimistic...well some more than others, but there is a lot to be excited about here. We shall see.

I get it, OP. He appears confident and at-ease out there. Looks like he is always having fun. I like that, and JK behaved similarly on the football field. Big arm with a monster physical presence. Rookies, especially supposed project QB's, don't typically climb the pocket and hit Powell with that laser.

We are all cautiously optimistic...well some more than others, but there is a lot to be excited about here. We shall see.

You get my point .. Gracias sir

He does all of those things that you suggest well. He stands tall and is comfortable in the pocket. Cardale is 2 years away IMO but he has good instincts. He's a gamer.

For those questioning his draft status, if he came out a year earlier he probably would have been a top 10 pick. No one questions his talent. He is just raw (really raw). He isn't very consistent which is why he fell to the 3rd. He's not a 3rd round talent though. He has an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. He was a risk to go early but it's not like Nassib (for example) that didn't have the tools.

He does all of those things that you suggest well. He stands tall and is comfortable in the pocket. Cardale is 2 years away IMO but he has good instincts. He's a gamer.

For those questioning his draft status, if he came out a year earlier he probably would have been a top 10 pick. No one questions his talent. He is just raw (really raw). He isn't very consistent which is why he fell to the 3rd. He's not a 3rd round talent though. He has an extremely high ceiling and an extremely low floor. He was a risk to go early but it's not like Nassib (for example) that didn't have the tools.

:beer: Agreed.

Good natural instincts are priceless. I would venture to say his natural game is more suited for the NFL pro style offense than the Old fashioned option high school offense Meyer ran. I watched a few Ohio State games last year and it was totally Friday Night Lights.

Physically he is built like a LB like Kelly was so I see where you are going with that.

Physically he is built like a LB like Kelly was so I see where you are going with that.

👍

Good natural instincts are priceless. I would venture to say his natural game is more suited for the NFL pro style offense than the Old fashioned option high school offense Meyer ran. I watched a few Ohio State games last year and it was totally Friday Night Lights.

yes, Urban runs the read option. Cardale isn't a read option QB. Urban didn't recruit him, Tressel did. It wasn't a good match when he inherited him and I don't think urban ever expected him to play. He was forced into action and succeeded in the offense for a short time mainly due to the OC they had at that time, Tom Herman, who was able to call plays suited to Cardale's strengths. Herman left to take the HC job at U of Houston and the new OC was not at all prepared to call anything but Urban's system last year. Barrett runs it perfectly. Cardale does not. He's a pro style QB with some mobility. Not a running QB like urban needs.

Oddly enough, urban just got a 5 star pro style QB to sign here in the 2016 class. No clue why he wanted him or why he came.

Edited by YoloinOhio

yes, Urban runs the read option. Cardale isn't a read option QB. Urban didn't recruit him, Tressel did. It wasn't a good match when he inherited him and I don't think urban ever expected him to play. He was forced into action and succeeded in the offense for a short time mainly due to the OC they had at that time, Tom Herman, who was able to call plays suited to Cardale's strengths. Herman left to take the HC job at U of Houston and the new OC was not at all prepared to call anything but Urban's system last year. Barrett runs it perfectly. Cardale does not. He's a pro style QB with some mobility. Not a running QB like urban needs.

Oddly enough, urban just got a 5 star pro style QB to sign here in the 2016 class. No clue why he wanted him or why he came.

Thank you for the detail Yolo. Even though I hated watching the OS O in the games I watched last year (zzzz) It was clearly effective. Is there a chance Meyer will adapt to his personnel? Or will he just plow ahead HS style regardless? Edited by Bocephuz