Jason Cole report on Doug Whaley

YoloinOhio

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the Ragland thread, but I suppose it belongs here...

The rookie injuries are bad luck, but Whaley has been really short-sighted with a lot of moves and these types of injuries shouldn't be so crippling. We never seem to have a back-up plan and have been put in bad situations by a lack of depth. Jeff Tuel started a game at QB. When Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams went down with injury, it was the theme of the season. No one stepped up and dominated in those roles because we had no depth to fill those spots. Our current WR depth is questionable, and I don't know who Whaley could possibly blame for that.

I'm still on the fence with Whaley, but I feel like he needs to be better prepared. Even though he is a great player, the decision to move up to get Watkins looks more like a Detroit Lions move every year. I don't know how a team with no depth can afford to be throwing 1st round picks out the window, and that is a prime example of the nearsightedness I'm referring to.

The rookie injuries are bad luck, but Whaley has been really short-sighted with a lot of moves and these types of injuries shouldn't be so crippling. We never seem to have a back-up plan and have been put in bad situations by a lack of depth. Jeff Tuel started a game at QB. When Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams went down with injury, it was the theme of the season. No one stepped up and dominated in those roles because we had no depth to fill those spots. Our current WR depth is questionable, and I don't know who Whaley could possibly blame for that.

I'm still on the fence with Whaley, but I feel like he needs to be better prepared. Even though he is a great player, the decision to move up to get Watkins looks more like a Detroit Lions move every year. I don't know how a team with no depth can afford to be throwing 1st round picks out the window, and that is a prime example of the nearsightedness I'm referring to.

How many teams have dominating depth players? I don't really watch other teams, I always figured it was the norm to have a few pro-bowl capable starters, and the depth guys were expected to be 'solid' but nothing spectacular. Is this why we suck? Because we don't have pro-bowl talent for depth?

Well, to be fair I wouldn't expect a backup safety, QB, or WR to ever "dominate." If they dominated a game, they would be starters, not backups.

And the Jeff Tuel thing was before he was GM.

But yeah, lack of depth on this team is pretty bad. Right now it is at its worst at the safety and Oline in my opinion. you could probably argue QB too, but I don't think it is that bad.

Well, to be fair I wouldn't expect a backup safety, QB, or WR to ever "dominate." If they dominated a game, they would be starters, not backups.

But yeah, lack of depth on this team is pretty bad. Right now it is at its worst at the safety and Oline in my opinion. you could probably argue QB too, but I don't think it is that bad.

Untrue. He was GM in all but title.

Edited by FireChan

How many teams have dominating depth players? I don't really watch other teams, I always figured it was the norm to have a few pro-bowl capable starters, and the depth guys were expected to be 'solid' but nothing spectacular. Is this why we suck? Because we don't have pro-bowl talent for depth?

Where did I say we need to have pro-bowl talent for depth? I guess I went too far with "dominating" but I still stand by the fact that we have been practically throwing unprepared players to the wolves for the most part when someone goes down. We signed a guy who hasn't suited up in over 12 months. Not an encouraging back up plan, if you ask me.

Untrue. He was GM in all but title.

Whaley was named GM in May of 2013. Jeff Tuel's first start was in October 2013. Whaley was the GM (in title).

*Edit/Rant: This whole Tuel thing...I don't want it to get overblown because it was a few years ago...but the fact that people are conveniently not accrediting that to Whaley shows how little accountability he has. He gets an unnecessary pass and we shift blame on to Nix. I just can't really say Whaley has done a great deal to impress me. He doesn't strike me as a very prepared man.

Edited by fridge

Once again someone at 1 Bills Drive is chirping. Same sh*t, different day.

I'm 50/50 when it comes to Whaley. There's things I like and things I really dislike. His trend of always wanting to trade up in he draft is concerning.

I'm also waiting to see how he handles this Tyrod contract. I'm worried that the reports of $35M over 2 years maybe true. If so Whaley would be giving Tyrod an additional $10M over the next 2 seasons for no reason. That would truly be concerning.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Whaley is responsible for the roster and we haven't sniffed the playoffs since he's been here. I like him but he is not the God some people on this board make him out to be. I don't think he gets fired if we miss the playoffs again but I don't think it would be uncalled for. At some point you have to stand by your record, and so far, Whaley is failing in that department.

Where did I say we need to have pro-bowl talent for depth? I guess I went to far with "dominating" but I still stand by the fact that we have been practically throwing unprepared players to the wolves for the most part when someone goes down. We signed a guy who hasn't suited up in over 12 months. Not an encouraging back up plan, if you ask me.

Whaley was named GM in May of 2013. Jeff Tuel's first start was in October 2013. Whaley was the GM (in title).

That's true, but I assumed he meant for the entirety of the 2013 offseason.

I think it's easy enough to ignore garbage like this, but part of me wonders how there is no consequence for a "media member" who flat out lies about a person or organization ( "many in the organization feel that ..........").

We also had Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, and Thad Lewis in 2013. Not saying they were all great moves, obviously, but I don't think the Bills intention was really ever to sit on Tuel as the backup. (And hell, their intention was to have Kolb start before he went down, over EJ)

We also had Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, and Thad Lewis in 2013. Not saying they were all great moves, obviously, but I don't think the Bills intention was really ever to sit on Tuel as the backup. (And hell, their intention was to have Kolb start before he went down, over EJ)

Kevin Kolb was a hit away from retirement before the Bills signed him. Everyone knew it except Whaley. Just more bad luck, huh?

Edited by FireChan

Whaley is responsible for the roster and we haven't sniffed the playoffs since he's been here. I like him but he is not the God some people on this board make him out to be. I don't think he gets fired if we miss the playoffs again but I don't think it would be uncalled for. At some point you have to stand by your record, and so far, Whaley is failing in that department.

I believe we've been closer to the playoffs since hes been GM than at any other point in this drought. The last two years we have been 9-7 and 8-8. Its not there but its getting close.