Schefter: Shaq Lawson Back Between Week 6 and 8

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that this season is only their first of hopefully a long career and in the grand scheme of things, this is a small amount of time.

The issue is that we aren't a playoff team. We are in win now mode and don't have the luxury to gamble so much with our first two picks.

No, we couldn't have predicted Ragland's injury. But we put our own backs against the wall when we took a guy who many already knew was going to miss half the season.

If we were the packers, or a team that makes the playoffs regularly, this is a different opinion.

And we also have no idea if this is going to be a domino effect and these injuries will nag them all year.

I understand that this season is only their first of hopefully a long career and in the grand scheme of things, this is a small amount of time.

The issue is that we aren't a playoff team. We are in win now mode and don't have the luxury to gamble so much with our first two picks.

No, we couldn't have predicted Ragland's injury. But we put our own backs against the wall when we took a guy who many already knew was going to miss half the season.

If we were the packers, or a team that makes the playoffs regularly, this is a different opinion.

And we also have no idea if this is going to be a domino effect and these injuries will nag them all year.

Keep saying it enough, and maybe it becomes true? This is simply a false statement.

I AGREE that taking Shaq was a calculated risk. Ragland wasn't a risk at all.

I'm 100% sure that he'll do some of that as the Sam--he did it at Clemson too.

He was pretty good at it. I forget the game but Shaq stopped the RB for 3-4 yard game when he had to cover, but Dodd gave up like 30 yard gainer when he had to cover the RB. Combine his physical attributes (I think his 3 cone, shuttle, and jump were in the category most likely to have a 10+ sack season) with his mental (he was making run pass reads almost every down) and he could be a stud.

He was pretty good at it. I forget the game but Shaq stopped the RB for 3-4 yard game when he had to cover, but Dodd gave up like 30 yard gainer when he had to cover the RB. Combine his physical attributes (I think his 3 cone, shuttle, and jump were in the category most likely to have a 10+ sack season) with his mental (he was making run pass reads almost every down) and he could be a stud.

Justis Mosqueda had Shaq as his best bet as a pass-rusher based on his "Force Players" criteria, which has been fairly predictive over the years:

http://playmakermentality.com/sorrybearsfans

Keep saying it enough, and maybe it becomes true? This is simply a false statement.

I AGREE that taking Shaq was a calculated risk. Ragland wasn't a risk at all.

During the draft, it was rumored by both networks that his shoulder was a reason for his draft ranking. That wouldn't come from no where.

Now, whether you think the Bills knew or were inept, I'll agree that would be up for debate

During the draft, it was rumored by both networks that his shoulder was a reason for his draft ranking. That wouldn't come from no where.

Now, whether you think the Bills knew or were inept, I'll agree that would be up for debate

You said "many already knew would miss half the season." That is a false statement, no matter how you spin it. The Bills knew about the shoulder and took a risk that surgery would not be needed until after the season, since Shaq had played with the issue for THREE YEARS.

You said "many already knew would miss half the season." That is a false statement, no matter how you spin it. The Bills knew about the shoulder and took a risk that surgery would not be needed until after the season, since Shaq had played with the issue for THREE YEARS.

Yes, many teams knew about his shoulder and maybe needing surgery. That's not a spin. That was said

Yes, many teams knew about his shoulder and maybe needing surgery. That's not a spin. That was said

If I can't help you understand the difference between the statement above and the statement you made earlier, there's no point in continuing this discussion.

I find it interesting how people dont understand the Shaq Lawson pick

but joke about how they are gonna drop him into coverage sometimes

even though he has shown to be able to do it

and then the white elephant in the room is that Mario flat out refused to do it

and people wonder why the defense might be better with a player that actually can do what the HC wants

but dont understand that even with the shoulder (which had played with for 3 years) why Shaq was taken where he was

This is true but you really gotta' let it play out and let the vocal apologists reach that conclusion themselves so they can take ownership of it as their next excuse in the grieving process.

Shaq and Ragnuts weren't going to make or break this season but people who can't be critical of the organizational decision making process gotta' have something to feel sorry for themselves about and the loss of the defensive-savior rookies fits the bill.

It's like clock work.

Every year excuses are made for the ineptitude.

You guys are insanely lame. Guess we are going 2-14 this year.

Who would expect a first and second rounder to help this football team?

That's a really far out concept.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

there's always next year, amirite?

Yes. Want to know why?

Because it's good enough to not yield results in the draft, while not good enough to make the playoffs. It's hell.

Its true.

But that does not mean i don't think we should give the Bills a pass whatsoever.

We should still expect a winning season. I stand firm in that.

Some folks have lumped me in as an excuse maker. I do have hopes , and do think in what ifs at times.

First season in with All New Coaching gets a pass from me. I think i am decent and fair fellow.

But i also do not like to stand around waiting to have gifts handed to me.

Bills need to work hard this year, and get results or i am looking Rex in the Eye ( metaphorically ) with ire and distaste.

This year is the acid test for Rex and his defense and his HC ability..

Prove it btches. If not , El Pegulio better make some moves. Like offering Roman a brand new chair at the table !

Injury excuse wont cut it, this year.

Go Bills !

While recent results have been undoubtedly disappointing, the characterization of inept is baseless and not reflective of reality. Mediocrity is a more accurate description. The hope is they can move beyond the results of the last two seasons that no one at OBD (or TBD) should be satisfied with.

Yeah but what's not good is that the Bills have had playoff caliber talent for the past couple of seasons and haven't been able to make them. That indicates other issues that need to be addressed. Personally, I think QB play is one of them so maybe this will be the season. Unfortunately, I think coaching is another and that doesn't bode as well.

Come on now, there's what, maybe a half-dozen of those types 'round here?

The rest of us just want to see the kid have a chance to play and see where his NFL game falls on the Upshaw-Suggs scale of boundary conditions.

As far as people who actually POST in these threads..........there are unfortunately more people here that I'm talking about than those who you are. You are far too kind.

I'm looking forward to it too though.........I love it when players exceed my expectation and I didn't want to see totally lost seasons from both of these guys.

IMO, those injuries are actually adding INSULT to the organizational injury that was aiming low on draft day in a misguided attempt to fill temporary needs.

I don't see Shaq as a Suggs.......I see him as an average, replaceable producer at the next level.

But unfortunately we will probably have to wait until December......which hopefully won't be garbage time, for a change.......... before we can start that evaluation.

Because he's a 1st round pick who played at a high level for a national championship contender...and he will have had lots of time in the meeting rooms and interacting with coaches/teammates.

Do you think Shaq will harm the defense?

Right. He's an immediate starter when he gets back. Partly because his track record proves that he's good enough and partly because we suck at LB.

Whaley is a gambler. Sometimes you gamble and you win and sometimes you lose.

Not a bad reason to stay away from gambles.

That's putting it too strongly. They didn't know he would miss half the season. They knew they were taking a risk that he might miss half the season. Bad enough, maybe, but they didn't know this for sure and shouldn't be blamed for knowing it. They should be held responsible for what they did ... taking the risk.

Seriously? Ragland's injury came as a result of a fluke - By all accounts Lawson is a talent that should have been selected higher. Assuming he comes back healthy the Bills win. Look back to Thurman Thomas - he was supposed to be damaged goods coming out of college. The Bills came out pretty well with that pick.

Agreed that Ragland's injury was a fluke. He didn't have a major history of injury in college.

But Thurman Thomas is the high side of the scale. There are lowlights too. Willis McGahee was supposed to be damaged goods coming out of college too but he fell so far that they just couldn't pass up such a mega-bargain. How did that one turn out? It works both ways, and you're right that it's not necessarily a horrible pick, but they do get the responsibility for picking the guy with all his pluses and minuses.

Practically every pick in every NFL draft, if you listen to the coaches, is a guy who they just couldn't believe fell that far. I hope he's as good as they think he will be.

Edited by Thurman#1