Reggie Ragland to have knee surgery; out for season

It's more nuanced than simply saying Kiko for Shady. KA's rookie contract turned into a 5 year 40M deal for McCoy that helped hamstring them this off-season.

Shady's contract can rightfully be debated, but the team was not hamstrung by it or the cap this off-season. They were able to sign everyone they wanted to bring back and are still under the cap with room to get Tyrod and Gilmore locked up (or tagged) for next year. The cap fears we heard so much groaning about headed into the off season were overblown.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did the team need a RB who demanded a contract extension to this degree? After 6 seasons of wear and tear?

What is so they could lead the league in rushing yardage for 1000 ? Alex

Buh bye troll, way to login after the Ragland injury to do your thing. Wicket smaaaaaaaht man.

I def felt losing him was a big deal

but

I think that between Spikes and Z. Brown......they will cover it up.

Which makes it .... not a big deal, no? We replaced him with a street FA and a cheap vet FA.

Edited by FireChan

It's more nuanced than simply saying Kiko for Shady. KA's rookie contract turned into a 5 year 40M deal for McCoy that helped hamstring them this off-season.

I've always thought the best way to describe the team under Whaley in terms of resources was as Bill from NYC said: he's been fast and loose. Why did the team need a RB who demanded a contract extension to this degree? After 6 seasons of wear and tear?

You can keep parroting this thinking that if it said enough it will be true

it is not

We have not lost any player that the bills wanted to keep.......the cap has not been an issue

Which makes it .... not a big deal, no? We replaced him with a street FA and a cheap vet FA.

it will be if we keep losing linebackers

I think that between Spikes and Z. Brown......they will cover it up.

Me too. Frankly, I thought Z. Brown was going to have a chance to start when they first signed him, before the draft. Spikes is great to have back on the roster too. We all though the defense was going to suffer without Kiko too (granted, we did actually get to see him play for a season).

You can keep parroting this thinking that if it said enough it will be true

it is not

We have not lost any player that the bills wanted to keep.......the cap has not been an issue

it will be if we keep losing linebackers

It's more about who they couldn't add IMO.

I think a RT and a starting safety would've been smart adds, but instead they chose to keep Kyle and Corey Graham.

Debatable moves IMO

Edited by thebandit27

This is why you do not draft a hurt player. Now our 1st and 2nd rounders are done and we had no 1st pick last year. Our 1st pick the year before is coming back from injury. No wonder we don't win more than 7 to 9 games most of the time the past 16 years. There systemically something wrong with the Bills franchise. Even luck would give us one 10 win season, Unbelievable!

Edited by USABuffaloFan

To be fair....when you have fans telling you they are "realists" and your take is homer.....your gonna lash back.

I can see where this is gonna go

It is Whaley's fault for injuries now

I know this is positive spin where non really exists

but at least they didnt "chance it" with this young stud and possibly cause more damage......Reggie will be back next year just as Spikes is coming off his 1 year contract with us.....he will be in the film room while he rehabilitates.....and will be with NFL trainers and on a NFL weightlifting program as soon as his surgery heals

Its not like he was taken out back and put down

Can you, ... can you see where this is going to go? Frankly, I thought I already had laid out the conclusion after posting numerous facts that you completely failed to address. That's the human nature part of this forum, and others, that I find so intriguing.

Look, I realize that you don't like me or my posts and argue with just about everything that I put out, hardly ever using any counterarguments much less actual facts, usually simply with emotional outbursts and absolutely nothing concrete, relevant, germane, or remotely pertinent to my original points. Your posts are literally, as in dictionary-defined, retarded.

Let's take your post above, it's filled with absolutely nothing but opinionated gibberish.

The post that it responded to the team's stated methodology in researching Shaq.

Then I made a comment about how decisions relate to the risks taken.

Then I commented on the blatant fact that several positions of need weren't even addressed in the draft. Needs that even most here are now claiming as glaring yet for which I was condescended to at the time of the draft by the same posters.

Then I pointed out the known fact that Ragland isn't strong on his pass-coverage skills to say the least and then implied that his starting cohort at ILB doesn't either, also blatant knowledge.

Then I went on to mention that neither of our safeties is known as primarily as a cover safety, also factual.

I implied the fact that Adolphus Washington has no significant experience whatsoever playing DE but that's where our genius visionaries are going to start him.

Then I went on to describe the futility of the Bills as a franchise outside of the Polian era, also factual and backed up as such.

Then I went on to state the obvious, or what should be obvious although I realize you won't get it, that the odds of either Shaq and/or Ragland's chances of success in the NFL are no greater than for any other players drafted in rounds 1 or 2 as they were.

Then I stated that Shaq wasn't prolific at Clemson, when he wasn't.

And yet you come back with your response above. Is that all that goes through your head when reading something like that? Wait, don't answer that. You know the adage about keeping one's mouth shut. If you do, then expect a response from me.

Again, your post offered absolutely nothing of value to anyone besides emotional nonsense. You, like the majority here, are nothing but a one-liner machine with an attention span that makes even the most ADD people proud.

Either way, all those facts put together, and more, paint a certain picture of this franchise in its current state. Only in your world is Whaley exempt.

Yet, you don't mention a word of any of that, ignore the conclusion, and then claim that "you know where it's going." Honestly, ...

And no, I didn't post this for your benefit, I posted it for the benefit of others. Yeah yeah, continue on with your mindless nonsense in response to my posts, as BillsVet stated about another post, I'll expand to the majority of posts here, its symbolism (and style) over substance, and you're one of the generals in that Army.

So keep up the good work partner!

:rolleyes:

Edited by TaskersGhost

This is why you do not draft a hurt player. Now our 1st and 2nd rounders are done and we had no 1st pick last year. Our 1st pick the year before is coming back from injury. No wonder we don't win more than 7 to 9 games most of the time the past 16 years. There systemically something wrong with the Bills franchise. Even luck would give us one 10 win season, Unbelievable!

The answer is never draft or sign players who could get hurt. It's so obvious. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Show me where it is a fact that Ragland has below average pass skills when there are so many reports to the contrary?

and

I dont have an expert opinion.....Rex felt that Ragland was a "150 tackle guy".....that sounds pretty good to me?

ROFLMAO

Show me all the reports to the contrary from credible sources.

Man, dense or what. You're your own worst enemy.

And what now, 150 tackles is good coverage?

You're a laugh riot! Really, you're your own worst enemy.

Edited by TaskersGhost

As they say, you make your own luck.

Everyone, EVERYONE, knew fully about Shaq's shoulder status. But apparently the opinions of Ryan's son at Clemson led the charge and "forced" Whaley to draft him. The Bills always play their hands as smarter-by-half and get screwed, and then scratch whatever little noodles they have to scratch while forum fans make excuses for idiotic and negligent decision making.

And btw, now we have a slew of people here talking about how Shaq and Ragland are going to come back gangbusters next season. Well this just in, sitting most of a season, or even half of it, or in Ragland's apparent situation the entire thing, doesn't exactly grease the skids for the following season, it merely adds additional questionmarks to a questionmark that already existed, at least in Shaq's case.

Either way, when you make dumb decisions and the risks of those play out, it's hardly bad luck. It's reaping the fruits of stupidity and negligence!

Edited by TaskersGhost

Crap. Should have read through the rest of the thread.

I'm now more concerned with Ragland and Lawson getting healthy and On the field. Missing TC and preseason is a much bigger deal for rookies than vets so I'm no longer counting on help from them this season. 2016 should now be about getting them right physically and getting them some NFL experience, if possible. Then they can come into next season healthy and ready to hit the ground running.

Lawson is on PUP, which is important. He must miss at least 6 weeks, but he can return without using our one IR designated-to-return allowance. That can be used for Ragland. Or he can be carried on the active roster if the team thinks he will only miss a few weeks of the regular season.

Good luck to the kid this week.

So now we know. I only hope they don't rush them back. I think one is more likely to be injured in football if one is slow to react or hesitant, and a rookie who missed training camp in Rex's complicated scheme sounds like a recipe for just that fraction of a second delay that will put them at a physical disadvantage. Take your time, be fully in condition and game-ready.

It is probably the right decision to have surgery now if there is any question of it being needed.

And of course, giving my heart reaction: crap crap crap crap :sick:

Edited by Hopeful

I dont see how we will be worse off on obvious run downs

Spikes dominates in that area....and its not like we are hoping that he can do it coming out of college.....we have actually watched him do it 2 years ago

What I need to see now is just how they platoon a very good coverage LB and a very good run stop LB together

Good luck platooning against hurry up offenses that love to exploit LBs that can't cover and won't give you a chance to substitute. Especially the Pats and their pick you poison approach with two big TEs who can both block and run routes, whether lined up tight or split out.

Spikes and Brown were exposed in 2014 and while I think there's room for Brown to improve, I can't say the same about Spikes.

GO BILLS!!!

Good luck platooning against hurry up offenses that love to exploit LBs that can't cover and won't give you a chance to substitute. Especially the Pats and their pick you poison approach with two big TEs who can both block and run routes, whether lined up tight or split out.

Spikes and Brown were exposed in 2014 and while I think there's room for Brown to improve, I can't say the same about Spikes.

GO BILLS!!!

You'll see Brown and Brown in those situations.

Who let Ragland drink WNY water? You drink the water near Orchard Park, you're bound to have an injury. Geez, haven't the Bills learned they need to bring in bottled water from outside the area? I'm sure those water pipes have some ties to Love Canal.