The scariest part of the upcoming 2016 season

Jobot

blade...this is absolutely baffling you would say this....injuries happen.

Your going to BLAME Tyrod for getting injuried? I suppose he could subscribe tot he Kyle Orton school of playing QB?

WOW

The season really is starting.....its bringing in the finest input

John- I thought that was kind of funny too that TT should be blamed for getting horse collared in the Titans game. As far as a back up QB, we'll find out this year. I'm leaning towards he will be a solid starter for us, but we'll see.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of depth is a lousey argument and always has been. Nobody has 'depth' in that almost every starter is a lot better than his back up. What is lacking is a few bonafide stars that will the team to win. They could emerge from what the roster has today. But no one has earned that status to date.

I disagree as the Bills don't even have competent starters at some positions much less depth behind them. Most teams have some competent depth that came come in and the team keeps going all season long. The Patriots come to mind along with most playoff teams as every year they have loads of injuries to starters and yet still make the playoffs and contend for a SB.

Buffalo doesn't even have a competent RT much less a backup and should any player on the line Wood, Glenn or Incognito go out with a serious injury then the offense is in serious trouble. Same with the WR's as they have two and the rest are scrubs. The Bills entire team lacks quality depth at almost every position IMO

I disagree as the Bills don't even have competent starters at some positions much less depth behind them. Most teams have some competent depth that came come in and the team keeps going all season long. The Patriots come to mind along with most playoff teams as every year they have loads of injuries to starters and yet still make the playoffs and contend for a SB.

Buffalo doesn't even have a competent RT much less a backup and should any player on the line Wood, Glenn or Incognito go out with a serious injury then the offense is in serious trouble. Same with the WR's as they have two and the rest are scrubs. The Bills entire team lacks quality depth at almost every position IMO

At what positions do the bills not have comp starters?

This should be good

Edit.....I see that your pointing at the RT position.....look man....this was the TOP running team in the NFL and RT was a part of that

And we dont have depth at the Center and guard positions? We scalped a quality OG from the panthers who ALSO had a very effective running game who plays both G and C

The only spot we are weak at right now is the Lawson position because TWO counted on guys are out with injury....and every team deals with this....EVERY team

Edited by John from Hemet

Hello Tyrods agent. He gets paid like a backup because he hasn't taken this team to a winning record and gotten his running hiney injured during last season. He's showing promise but has to proof consistency and health.

Tyrod is injury prone & is 0-5 when forced to throw over 30 passes in a game. I like his ability to read defenses but he needs to learn how to hit passes in the middle of a defense & to climb the pocket and be passer first. I think you let him go if he repeats his 2015 performance and shows no statistical improvement.

Oh, I almost forgot... There's something else very, VERY, scary about this upcoming season... That would be facing the Seahawks... AT THEIR HOUSE... If you recall, it didn't go so good last time... And that was in our backyard.... Hope we fare better this year!

At what positions do the bills not have comp starters?

This should be good

Edit.....I see that your pointing at the RT position.....look man....this was the TOP running team in the NFL and RT was a part of that

And we dont have depth at the Center and guard positions? We scalped a quality OG from the panthers who ALSO had a very effective running game who plays both G and C

The only spot we are weak at right now is the Lawson position because TWO counted on guys are out with injury....and every team deals with this....EVERY team

Simply writing a name on a chart doesn't equate to actual talent. Look back over the last few years to see what kind players the team attempted to replace Andy Levitre with and then look at some recent draft picks for the line. I come away thinking the Bills scouting dept isn't very good in judging line talent.

EVERY team does deal with injuries every year and just looking at the Patriots last season and how beat up their offensive line was at one point and yet those players had enough talent to help the team get to the AFC Championship game. They also lost their starting WR, RB among others and they had like a total of five players who played in all 16 games. The good teams have decent backups at most every position.

The 2013 Buffalo Bills under Marrone were also the #2 team in the NFL in rushing and they had some scrubs on that year's line too. RT is still a big question mark for this year's team as is RG and what kind of quality depth can be behind players that wouldn't even be starting for most of the playoff teams? Also, like I mentioned the Bills have two quality starters at WR and some real unknowns for the remaining three positions so what kind of quality talent will we see if a rash of injuries hit the WR corps?

Edited by Nihilarian

If I'm a Bills fan my fears probably go something like this

1)Depth/Holes (No wr2, no S's or LBS, no cb3, oline is thin esp on right side)

2)Schedule (You face 5-6 great teams and 3-4 really good ones. Bills/Rex have no history of beating the best

3)Rex , he still has trouble in game/clock management and overall discipline. Plus the fact that he's never really been a teacher or good at developing players. He NEEDS his guys.

Rex has to prove hes an actual coach, no more excuses imo.

I think some Bills fans think they were hit hard with injuries last year and that's not the case. Bills were probably bottom 5-10 in the league. And again this speaks to depth

29. Buffalo Bills

Aside from LeSean McCoy's lingering hamstring issue, the Bills were one of the NFL's healthiest teams through the first three games of the regular season until a cascade of injuries hit. McCoy re-injured his hamstring, Sammy Watkins hurt his calf, Karlos Williams suffered a concussion, Tyrod Taylor injured his knee and Percy Harvin aggravated his hip injury. The team took more blows in Sunday's loss to the Bengals, when right tackle Seantrel Henderson left with a concussion and defensive tackle Kyle Williams injured his knee. Coach Rex Ryan's frustration boiled over after Sunday's game when he brought up, on his own, that the Bills had been "snake-bit" and that the amount of injuries has been "unbelievable" to him. But it's important for Ryan to remember that his team has completely avoided season-ending injuries to key contributors, which is why they rank so low on this list. -- Mike Rodak

Players out for season: LB Ty Powell (knee), DE Jarius Wynn (knee)

Players injured: RB Karlos Williams (concussion), RB LeSean McCoy (hamstring), WR Sammy Watkins (calf/ankle), WR Marcus Easley (shoulder), WR Percy Harvin (hip), G John Miller (groin), QB Tyrod Taylor (ankle, knee), WR Marquise Goodwin (ribs), T Seantrel Henderson (concussion), DT Kyle Williams (knee), S Aaron Williams (neck), S Bacarri Rambo (quad)

Total starts missed: 11 -- Williams (3), McCoy (2), Watkins (2), Easley (1), Harvin (1), Miller (1), Taylor (1)

I dont look at the name on the back of the jersey

I look at what they did on the field

and the example you pointed out was part of a OL that led the league in rushing

Leading the league in rushing or attempts doesn't mean much if the team isn't winning a bunch more games. Let's look at last year. While the team led the league in big plays which equates to pass players over 25 yards and run plays over 10 yards they were still very much like that 2013 team in that they were 31st in three and out percentage.

Now, you would think that a team that runs the ball as much as Buffalo did in 2013 and 2015 that they would be able to maintain possession of the football longer instead of quickly punting the ball away. That stat tells me that the Bills had great difficulty in maintaining a sustained offense!!

This is a big reason I was hoping the Bills FO would fix the problems at RT & RG like they attempted to do in the 2014 offseason by making offers to Bryan Bulaga and Jahri Evans. It takes five quality players on the offensive like to make a competent unit and three out of five isn't going to cut it and never will as opposing teams will just load up their pass rushers at the weakest point on the line.

Scariest part of the upcoming season will be the contract extensions for Gilmore and Taylor. Overpaying for a CB and committing to a QB prior to the upcoming dismissals of the HC and GM may not be in the franchises best long term interest

Leading the league in rushing or attempts doesn't mean much if the team isn't winning a bunch more games. Let's look at last year. While the team led the league in big plays which equates to pass players over 25 yards and run plays over 10 yards they were still very much like that 2013 team in that they were 31st in three and out percentage.

Now, you would think that a team that runs the ball as much as Buffalo did in 2013 and 2015 that they would be able to maintain possession of the football longer instead of quickly punting the ball away. That stat tells me that the Bills had great difficulty in maintaining a sustained offense!!

This is a big reason I was hoping the Bills FO would fix the problems at RT & RG like they attempted to do in the 2014 offseason by making offers to Bryan Bulaga and Jahri Evans. It takes five quality players on the offensive like to make a competent unit and three out of five isn't going to cut it and never will as opposing teams will just load up their pass rushers at the weakest point on the line.

If the D hadnt fallen in the toilet this would not even be a discussion

If the D hadnt fallen in the toilet this would not even be a discussion

That isn't the point and the fact is the offense faltered quite a bit last year at different times and against different teams. That second game against the Patriots comes to mind as the Bills with 30 rushes for 94yards only averaged 3.1 yards per rushing play and were tackled for a loss 6 times for 18 yards. Tyrod Taylor was only sacked 2x in this game vs the 8x in that first game.

The closest this team has been to having a somewhat solid offensive line was in 2012 with Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears. While last year's line graded better, that was because Incognito graded so much higher as he was the top rated OG in the league and his stellar play help elevated the two players on either side of him.

The point is that the RT position could be a real disaster this year and RG isn't far behind...much less depth!! Urbik is gone this year.

That isn't the point and the fact is the offense faltered quite a bit last year at different times and against different teams. That second game against the Patriots comes to mind as the Bills with 30 rushes for 94yards only averaged 3.1 yards per rushing play and were tackled for a loss 6 times for 18 yards. Tyrod Taylor was only sacked 2x in this game vs the 8x in that first game.

The closest this team has been to having a somewhat solid offensive line was in 2012 with Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, Pears. While last year's line graded better, that was because Incognito graded so much higher as he was the top rated OG in the league and his stellar play help elevated the two players on either side of him.

The point is that the RT position could be a real disaster this year and RG isn't far behind...much less depth!! Urbik is gone this year.

Not sure where Bandit is to discuss. But last year they were first in YPC and if you take out the QB number I think they still graded highly (6th if I remember). I do agree that the 3 and out percentage and the rush yards do make sense. However I wonder if our chance for points was greater if we did get a first down (once we get some momentum we are tough).