The scariest part of the upcoming 2016 season

Jobot

How did I get $42 million?

Lets predict the cap is 165m in 2017, could be even higher with the Rams move to LA. Spotrac says they have about 134m committed to 2017. They currently have over $11m in cap space. Carry that over and you get $42 million.

Now they cant go nuts. But they have options. The team wont have to be torn apart. They can sign Taylor, Gilmore, and Woods very easily. The question they must ask themselves is can this core win in the playoffs. If you commit to Taylor and Gilmore then you basically have your your team + draft picks for the next couple years.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets predict the cap is 165m in 2017, could be even higher with the Rams move to LA. Spotrac says they have about 134m committed to 2017. They currently have over $11m in cap space. Carry that over and you get $42 million.

Now they cant go nuts. But they have options. The team wont have to be torn apart. They can sign Taylor, Gilmore, and Woods very easily. The question they must ask themselves is can this core win in the playoffs. If you commit to Taylor and Gilmore then you basically have your your team + draft picks for the next couple years.

Exactly - that's why the prudent thing to do is let Tyrod prove he's worth the money.

Also, not saying they will but you can save around $15 million cutting Eric Wood, Corey Graham, Nickell Robey, Dan Carpenter, Jerome Felton, Marcus Easley, and Cyrus Kouandjio.

All these players can be replaced with draft picks. You can also make a decision on Kyle Williams. Very little dead cap, saves you another $6.8 million. This move would depend on how Williams plays this year. If he is his old self he is a bargain.

So add that $15 million to the $42 million and you see we are perfectly fine. We would have to find a starting center, Kicker, and safety in the draft or free agency, not the hardest thing to do. Plus Blanton may replace Graham this year.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

anyone who denies the scariest part of 2016 is rex ryan is fooling themselves. we are a team that could and should win enough to make the playoffs, ensuring ryan stays. rex ryan will be just like wayne fontes in the history of the buffalo bills. he'll win enough to keep his job when its on the line but ultimately, as shown by his character, be the loser he is.

anyone who denies the scariest part of 2016 is rex ryan is fooling themselves. we are a team that could and should win enough to make the playoffs, ensuring ryan stays. rex ryan will be just like wayne fontes in the history of the buffalo bills. he'll win enough to keep his job when its on the line but ultimately, as shown by his character, be the loser he is.

I know what you are trying to do but Fontes made the playoffs 4 times. If Rex does that here you think its failure?

If Rex gets this team to the playoffs multiple times like Fontes did they will biuld him a statue in Buffalo

I know what you are trying to do but Fontes made the playoffs 4 times. If Rex does that here you think its failure?

i go to the prom to go home with the prom queen, not the wall flower. But each their own.

The scariest thing happening this football season is the presidential election.

i go to the prom to go home with the prom queen, not the wall flower. But each their own.

Don't knock the high effort girls. There's something to be said for girls that feel they need to put forth the extra effort.

The Bills essentially have an extra $20+ million compared to all other NFL teams! You see this all the time where a team peaks just before they pay their superstar players....

I can't exactly rattle off lots of examples of this off of the top of my head. Lots of teams have continued to win after paying their QB big money. looking at the teams that consistently win and are in the playoffs it's still pretty obvious that having a good QB (even if he's making a lot of money) is required and worth it. The key is to not just pay any old guy that money but the right one. So I wouldn't be scared of having to pay Tyrod. I'd be scared if it's pretty obvious he's not worth it.

Edited by jletha

I'm going to have to disagree here.Its easy to fall into the trap of disliking Rex after last year being a disappointment to us all.He talks a big game and when you do that and don't back it up you catch heat and maybe deservidly so.What I think is we should all take a step back on the Rex hate.I believe he is a good coach and the fact that he is taking this heat means the players aren't(refer to the Incognito interview)and I think the players appreciate that.Let's try to keep in mind it was his first year here as a coach and it takes time to get the players that fit your system and to implement said system.Let's let the man prove to either be a winner or a looser in time but to make that judgment so soon is a bit of a misstake.We all know players have his back(Mario being an exception)and I trust what players think more than the media or fans who think they know but dont.

After last years disappointing season, my realistic view of the upcoming season does not hold tremendously high expectations. However this may be Buffalo's best opportunity to not only making the playoffs, but advance far! The problem and terrifying reality that comes with this.... is if they fail to do so, then the playoff drought may be further away then any of us can comprehend....

The biggest reason - TYROD Taylor is being paid like a backup qb (and not even a good one!). Can you imagine if the perennial contenders had this luxury for a season. The Bills essentially have an extra $20+ million compared to all other NFL teams! You see this all the time where a team peaks just before they pay their superstar players.... well that is where the Bills sit today.

If owner/GM/coach can't make it work this year and come January we see the same old story of year's past, then I'm not sure what realistic hope would exist for the Bills under the current leadership. I make no claim at being a salary cap expert... but I do feel that this is a very rare situation that should allow even an average organization to put together a successful season.

So the biggest reason you are afraid is because Tyrod is being paid like a backup? That's a baffling perception to say the least. Perennial contenders do have this luxury for a season or sometimes multiple seasons before they have to figure out how they're going to compensate their up and coming stars. Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton all played on rookie contracts for multiple seasons before making their payday. This is nothing new or unique to the Bills situation. First round draft pick Marcus Mariota will count just $5.5m against the cap for Tennessee this season. He counted $4.4m last year and will count just $6.6 in 2017. Peanuts by the standards of any starter. Second round pick Derek Carr is probably a better analogy as he wasn't expected to start when they drafted him. His rookie deal was $976K in 2014 and $1.2m last year. This year it will be just $1.5m. There's no doubt he's going to get paid, but there's ZERO sense of urgency to give him a new deal, even after 3 years of his 4 year deal.

I concur that you're not a salary cap expert. I would guess that you've probably never even looked at the structure of NFL contracts to be able to understand why Tyrod is being paid what he is and more importantly why it isn't a big deal at all. If Tyrod doesn't work out this year, the Bills will be looking again to the draft. Even a high draft pick will be cheap by starting caliber QB standards. It's so simple that it's mind numbing. No need to be scared.

Scariest part? Same as it always has been for me. Games #3 and #4.

The opposing team has a couple weeks of tape and knows what's coming. It is the game where you see the talent of both your players and coaching staff. It has been the barometer for the last several seasons IMO.

If things don't pan out, won't we draft a QB and see what the Ohio State kid has (and probably sign a journeyman to compete for the starting job)? In that situation, we still wouldn't end up paying a QB big money for a long while.

So what you're saying is that all is not lost if Taylor sucks? Thank goodness!

Also, not saying they will but you can save around $15 million cutting Eric Wood, Corey Graham, Nickell Robey, Dan Carpenter, Jerome Felton, Marcus Easley, and Cyrus Kouandjio.

All these players can be replaced with draft picks. You can also make a decision on Kyle Williams. Very little dead cap, saves you another $6.8 million. This move would depend on how Williams plays this year. If he is his old self he is a bargain.

So add that $15 million to the $42 million and you see we are perfectly fine. We would have to find a starting center, Kicker, and safety in the draft or free agency, not the hardest thing to do. Plus Blanton may replace Graham this year.

You think you're going to get seven rookie starters (yeah, I'm including the 3rd CB as a starter) from one draft? To save $15M in cap charges? No part of that makes sense.

So the biggest reason you are afraid is because Tyrod is being paid like a backup? That's a baffling perception to say the least. Perennial contenders do have this luxury for a season or sometimes multiple seasons before they have to figure out how they're going to compensate their up and coming stars. Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton all played on rookie contracts for multiple seasons before making their payday. This is nothing new or unique to the Bills situation. First round draft pick Marcus Mariota will count just $5.5m against the cap for Tennessee this season. He counted $4.4m last year and will count just $6.6 in 2017. Peanuts by the standards of any starter. Second round pick Derek Carr is probably a better analogy as he wasn't expected to start when they drafted him. His rookie deal was $976K in 2014 and $1.2m last year. This year it will be just $1.5m. There's no doubt he's going to get paid, but there's ZERO sense of urgency to give him a new deal, even after 3 years of his 4 year deal.

I concur that you're not a salary cap expert. I would guess that you've probably never even looked at the structure of NFL contracts to be able to understand why Tyrod is being paid what he is and more importantly why it isn't a big deal at all. If Tyrod doesn't work out this year, the Bills will be looking again to the draft. Even a high draft pick will be cheap by starting caliber QB standards. It's so simple that it's mind numbing. No need to be scared.

You totally did not understand the point of the original post. They were not advocating for blindly throw money at TT just so he isn't paid so little.