Interesting point on Bills having too many coaches.

An interesting tidbit on NFL SiriusXM yesterday had me ponder.

The topic was about coaches and the teams that have the least and the most. A key point was too many hens in the hen house good or bad?

In 2015 the Bills led the NFL in coaches in the mid 20's. Followed by Jags, Browns and Raiders. Those teams did not make the playoffs. Combined record of all the above teams was below .500.

In 2015 the Pats and Steelers were tied with the least coaches with 15. The Packers came in third, followed by Panthers. Those teams made the playoffs and those teams records combined were above .500.

The topic immediately switched to having too many coaches possibly hindering the development of players or does it help the learning curve from college-to-pro.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic was about coaches and the teams that have the least and the most. A key point was too many hens in the hen house good or bad?

In 2015 the Bills led the NFL in coaches in the mid 20's. Followed by Jags, Browns and Raiders. Those teams did not make the playoffs. Combined record of all the above teams was below .500.

In 2015 the Pats and Steelers were tied with the least coaches with 15. The Packers came in third, followed by Panthers. Those teams made the playoffs and those teams records combined were above .500.

The topic immediately switched to having too many coaches possibly hindering the development of players or does it help the learning curve from college-to-pro.

I see a difference in that list beyond the amount of coaches. Pats*, Steelers, Packers, and Panthers all have established qbs and veteran teams. Bills, Jags, Browns, Raiders all have young/unproven/no quarterback and young teams.

Something else I found interesting when doing some research on this topic...

1. Although the league has certainly turned to offense it still helps to have a good/great defense. Of the top 10 defenses for ypg last year, 7 made the playoffs. Of the top 10 defenses for ppg, 9 made the playoffs. In fact 11 of the top 12 made the playoffs with the only outlier being the 10-6 Jets.

2. Only 3 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs. 5 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs. Unsurprisingly 8 of the top 10 scoring teams were playoff teams.

Good. You stew the old chickens and keep the ones still laying eggs.

This sounds like someone making a case out of nothing. I get the whole too many cooks in the kitchen thing but if the results were the opposite they could just as easily have said the more coaches you have, the more information you have to grow and adapt to any situation.

One player could be a great player because he has only played that position his entire career from pee-wee to pro and another player could be good because he's been bounced around several positions and knows the tendencies of where other players will be and/or do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by The Wiz

If my memory serves me, the pats just 3 full time employees: 1 coach (who also serves as GM), 1 guy who throws balls, and the owner. They did have 4, but terminated the deflater position. Otherwise, they have an assortment of people doing odd jobs.

I see a difference in that list beyond the amount of coaches. Pats*, Steelers, Packers, and Panthers all have established qbs and veteran teams. Bills, Jags, Browns, Raiders all have young/unproven/no quarterback and young teams.

Something else I found interesting when doing some research on this topic...

1. Although the league has certainly turned to offense it still helps to have a good/great defense. Of the top 10 defenses for ypg last year, 7 made the playoffs. Of the top 10 defenses for ppg, 9 made the playoffs. In fact 11 of the top 12 made the playoffs with the only outlier being the 10-6 Jets.

2. Only 3 of the top 10 passing teams made the playoffs. 5 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs. Unsurprisingly 8 of the top 10 scoring teams were playoff teams.

This is more interesting then what the OP said.

This sounds like someone making a case out of nothing. I get the whole too many cooks in the kitchen thing but if the results were the opposite they could just as easily have said the more coaches you have, the more information you have to grow and adapt to any situation.

One player could be a great player because he has only played that position his entire career from pee-wee to pro and another player could be good because he's been bounced around several positions and knows the tendencies of where other players will be and/or do. It's all a matter of perspective.

I liked things better when Ralph was cheap and the Bills did everything bare bones.

Too many coaches can cause confusion especially if they are saying different things

That is interesting. I was watching the show All or Nothing last night. The cards have a 'pass rush' coach. Just like in any other area of business, IF everyone is on the same page then it works...if you have different people teaching the same person different techniques...well that is when problems occur.

no kidding Wiz. Its a silly position to take. Having too many Coaches.

Expand the knowledge base and let the younger Coaches learn the ropes doing daily diligence

Too many coaches can cause confusion especially if they are saying different things

Only if they are saying different things. That is an excellent point.

I liked things better when Ralph was cheap and the Bills did everything bare bones.

Those were the days my Friend. we thought they'd never end !