Who is this years off-season monster?

Every year, we hear about how great a player looks in OTA's/minicamp, but disappears in training cap/preseason; we also hear about how great a player looks in training cap/preseason, but disappears in the regular season (Trent Edwards and Keith Ellison come to mind). So far, we've been hearing great things about Dez Lewis and CB Kevon Seymour, but will they fit into one of those scenarios or actually make an impact?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

There does seem to be one surprise out of camp and the preseason each year but I think this year's roster is stacked enough that it will be hard for anyone to do this.

What we really have to hope for is that TT takes a few big steps forward and the D comes around. To the latter I think Prestin Brown must really step forward if the D is going to be good.

There does seem to be one surprise out of camp and the preseason each year but I think this year's roster is stacked enough that it will be hard for anyone to do this.

What we really have to hope for is that TT takes a few big steps forward and the D comes around. To the latter I think Prestin Brown must really step forward if the D is going to be good.

Last season, Karlos Williams was the nice surprise, while John Miller looked good in the offseason, but underwhelmed in the regular season.

I think with having a full off-season of reps, plus being able to throw more to Robert Woods and the rest of the WR's with Sammy being out due to injury, I can see TT taking those steps forward. I hope Brown can step up, otherwise, we'll see more of the same confusion as we did last season. If that happens, will Rex make the decision quick enough to have Manny Lawson calling the plays again?

Last season, Karlos Williams was the nice surprise, while John Miller looked good in the offseason, but underwhelmed in the regular season.

I think with having a full off-season of reps, plus being able to throw more to Robert Woods and the rest of the WR's with Sammy being out due to injury, I can see TT taking those steps forward. I hope Brown can step up, otherwise, we'll see more of the same confusion as we did last season. If that happens, will Rex make the decision quick enough to have Manny Lawson calling the plays again?

Sounds like Karlos arrived as this off season monster.

Tag team of Brown Ragland and Brown. 3 headed Gorgon

Dez

R Woods

A Washington starts showing in preseason games

But i mean impact during the season.

I want to pick Listenbee for fun, comes on after a couple games because Easly is on pup to start the season and the rook makes the most of his chance

Well if it is Seymour, that could make Gilmore hard to sign seeing he wants to apparently be paid top dollar. I like Gilmore but he could be lost to free agency.

Not this season though?

Every year, we hear about how great a player looks in OTA's/minicamp, but disappears in training cap/preseason; we also hear about how great a player looks in training cap/preseason, but disappears in the regular season (Trent Edwards and Keith Ellison come to mind). So far, we've been hearing great things about Dez Lewis and CB Kevon Seymour, but will they fit into one of those scenarios or actually make an impact?

Well, we won the offseason so it will be the whole team.

Well, we won the offseason so it will be the whole team.

+1

Hopefully it's Dez Lewis. We desperately need another target besides Watkins and Woods

I agree. I hope Woods has a better season this year. It would be great to have two strong WR's behind Watkins, especially if Watkins or Woods gets injured at some point during the season.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Dez Lewis is this years "OTA Monster." Lewis looked great in OTA's, but has disappeared when the pads came on in training camp.

I hope anyone won't be this year that's training camp/preseason monster (like Trent Edwards and Keith Ellison) that looks great in training camp/preseason monster, but disappears in the regular season.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I think the logic is a little convoluted as a couple of posters seem to be thinking the question is who's going to have a monster year.

The question is who's going to disappear in the regular season - after looking good in TC/PS?

Kujo.

It is Marquis Goodwin. Lots of hype around him in camp as though he is about to take it to the next level.

This would not surprise me. Although I don't think it was ever about him taking it to the next level. He always has been good, his effort has been good, his talent good. It is just that his body is just too fragile to be an NFL player at the level he needs to be capable of playing. There is really nothing he can do to change that. He does not have an NFL body, and no amount of devotion, training, and weight room training is going to change it in his case. It is like a WR who can do everything right. Has speed, great hands, runs great routes, has great football smarts and instints, but he is 5'6". You can't make your body grow certain ways. If you have the body structure, you can bulk up, gain strength, lose weight. whatever. But you need the genetics to build on. Goodwin just does not have it, at no fault to him.

This would not surprise me. Although I don't think it was ever about him taking it to the next level. He always has been good, his effort has been good, his talent good. It is just that his body is just too fragile to be an NFL player at the level he needs to be capable of playing. There is really nothing he can do to change that. He does not have an NFL body, and no amount of devotion, training, and weight room training is going to change it in his case. It is like a WR who can do everything right. Has speed, great hands, runs great routes, has great football smarts and instints, but he is 5'6". You can't make your body grow certain ways. If you have the body structure, you can bulk up, gain strength, lose weight. whatever. But you need the genetics to build on. Goodwin just does not have it, at no fault to him.

I agree with that assessment. But that is also why I added him to the list this year. His performance in training camp has everybody anticipating a big season from him, but sadly I don't believe he can stay healthy for 16 games. I for one, I hope he proves us wrong.

I agree. Very similar to Roscoe Parrish.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

What concerns me with Goodwin is that with how impressive he has looked in camp, it might cost one of the WR's who might be "on the bubble" a position on the team, then if Goodwin gets hurt again, the Bills have lost a good player due to Goodwin's training camp/preseason potential.