Good Beach in Maine?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Ogunquit about 12 years ago when the children were young... Nice beach and really level... The thing I remember is, watch the tide tables, play around that... Because the tide really goes out & you'll have a ton of beach, but as it comes in over the level area, not much is left w/high tide.

Nice town... Can do some shopping. We visited South Berwick, ME too... My wife is a literary nut (Sarah Orne Jewett was from S.Berwick) so we went exploring in those neck of the firs too... ;-)

Very nice country... ENJOY!!!

In York you can watch them make Saltwater taffy. Stand outside window, then go I and have lunch.

That's the Goldenrod. Get the peanut butter taffy. Also visit Kettle Boys just up the street. Friends of mine.

Be sure to take the time to visit Portsmouth NH. Much of the downtown port area dates back to the 1600's.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Avoid P-Town, though. Not so perfect for little kids.

I actually prefer the ocean side, myself. But the nice thing about the Cape is that it's small enough that it's not like choosing any location really isolates you from the rest.

I spent many summers on the Cape, as my dad's folks lived in Barnstable. Used to go out to a beach past Hyannisport.

Water was !@#$ing cold year round. :lol: For my money, best beaches on the east coast are in North Carolina.

Edited by joesixpack

I spent many summers on the Cape, as my dad's folks lived in Barnstable. Used to go out to a beach past Hyannisport.

Water was !@#$ing cold year round. :lol: For my money, best beaches on the east coast are in North Carolina.

I agree on NC beaches. But for 80+ degree water you have to be south of the Outer Banks. Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Surf City, Topsail Beach, Wrightsville and Carolina Beach are great places. Oceanfront condos there are very reasonable.

Looks like it's between York and Ogunquit. I'll have to see what I can find in terms of lodging. Definitely need to find something with a bedroom and a living room, so we can hang out after the kids go to bed.

I'll be sure to evaluate the toilet seats to see if the are ball-safe.

LOL -- "Dad, why are those two guys holding hands?" -- me, on my first visit to P-town, circa 1978.

Ocean side is beautiful and fun for a day at the beach; we'll usually do a day at Nauset or Cahoon Hollow beach, but no way you can take young kids into that surf.

As for Maine, we had a nice week at Sebago Lake a few years ago. Not much of a town near where we stayed on the east side, but the lake is great. I'd do that again over an ocean front trip.

For me, it was "Dad, why is that guy wearing leather pants and chains and no shirt?" For the rest of that week I don't think we left East Harwich.

But last time I was there, it was a real freak-show. Every Castro-district leather-bar bathhouse gay-pride-parade lunatic stereotype you could think of was on display. I figured we hit the middle of some sort of festival or something.

But then we went on one trip and stayed at a regular old residence inn. It was awesome. We had a 2-bedroom suite for like $250; they had a great heated pool; and tons of free food all the time. More importantly, we had space to set up two cribs for our 1.5 year old twins and a separate room for our 5-year old. (Unlike the fancy places, where we are jammed in on top of each other). Not fancy, but so great for a family.

Residence Inn (Marriot), Staybridge Suites (IHG), and Homewood Suites (Hilton) are all pretty similar in that setup. Candlewood Suites (IHG) also has decent rooms but no free breakfast/dinner. If I had to choose among those four, Residence Inn will always be my first choice.

Just a cross the border into NH... Hampton (main) & North Hampton Beach is very nice. Spent a few weeks a summer up there for a few summers @ a house a decade ago. Like Promo said, explore the NH options too.

Laid back, a bit more local, less touristy.

That's the Goldenrod. Get the peanut butter taffy. Also visit Kettle Boys just up the street. Friends of mine.

Be sure to take the time to visit Portsmouth NH. Much of the downtown port area dates back to the 1600's.

This.

As NH beach area go...

Rye, NH is nice too.

Wife and I spent 4 days in NO before her brothers wedding in Baton Rouge, it was gay week. I think her and I were the only straight couple visiting NO

So you could go out to the end of the Cape

Just a cross the border into NH... Hampton (main) & North Hampton Beach is very nice. Spent a few weeks a summer up there for a few summers @ a house a decade ago. Like Promo said, explore the NH options too.

Laid back, a bit more local, less touristy.

This.

As NH beach area go...

Rye, NH is nice too.

Rye Beach and Wallis Sands are two public beaches in NH. Hampton Beach is NH's version an old fashioned beach boardwalk complete with pizza shops, fried dough stands and tacky t-shirt shops. All of these are within 45 minutes of Ogunquit. If you have time, a trip up to Portland is worth it too. Catch a Sea Dogs game (AA Sox afiliate) at Hadlock Park.

For me, it was "Dad, why is that guy wearing leather pants and chains and no shirt?" For the rest of that week I don't think we left East Harwich.

But last time I was there, it was a real freak-show. Every Castro-district leather-bar bathhouse gay-pride-parade lunatic stereotype you could think of was on display. I figured we hit the middle of some sort of festival or something.

Why were you there multiple times, parents not telling you something? Edited by shrader