Good Beach in Maine?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rye Beach and Wallis Sands are two public beaches in NH. Hampton Beach is NH's version an old fashioned beach boardwalk complete with pizza shops, fried dough stands and tacky t-shirt shops. All of these are within 45 minutes of Ogunquit. If you have time, a trip up to Portland is worth it too. Catch a Sea Dogs game (AA Sox afiliate) at Hadlock Park.

Yep... Outside the touristy boardwalk thing, more North Hampton beach.

I remember getting terribly ill from eating too much lobster one night... I don't know what it was, maybe too much lobster. LoL... But my BiL (from Boston) advised me to go on the boardwalk and order the biggest greasiest funnelcake (or whatever it was) and that would settle my stomach. It actually worked, WTF! For once that Chowderhead was right about something? I try to chalk it up to shear luck, I couldn't have been sicker to my stomach and God awful grease & dough eased my pain! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Maine yesterday evening. We ended up staying at a place in Wells, as the hotel was a third of the price of those in Ogunquit and York. The hotel was priced at $180/night on the website, $151/night on Expedia, and when I called and spoke to someone at the hotel I ended up getting the room for $135/night. Great deal. Two bedrooms (each with a queen bed), a living room with a full size pull out couch, and small kitchen.

I just love the beaches on the North Atlantic coast. The water is cooler, but the atmosphere is so unique. My son had a blast running around chasing after crabs, and the tides created warm little tidal pools that were perfect for my 2 year old daughter to play in.

We went to the Maine Diner one night purely because we saw it on Diners Drive-Ins & Dives. It was overpriced and the food was terrible. The second night we went to a great little place in Ogunquit, and had some of the best seafood I have ever tasted. We went to a little "food truck" every day for lunch, and enjoyed fresh haddock, fried shrimp, and fried clams. What a beautiful place, and only a 3 hour drive from my house in VT. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. We are headed back in a few weeks to stay with some friends whose parents own a beach front house in Kennebunkport.

We just got back from Maine yesterday evening. We ended up staying at a place in Wells, as the hotel was a third of the price of those in Ogunquit and York. The hotel was priced at $180/night on the website, $151/night on Expedia, and when I called and spoke to someone at the hotel I ended up getting the room for $135/night. Great deal. Two bedrooms (each with a queen bed), a living room with a full size pull out couch, and small kitchen.

I just love the beaches on the North Atlantic coast. The water is cooler, but the atmosphere is so unique. My son had a blast running around chasing after crabs, and the tides created warm little tidal pools that were perfect for my 2 year old daughter to play in.

We went to the Maine Diner one night purely because we saw it on Diners Drive-Ins & Dives. It was overpriced and the food was terrible. The second night we went to a great little place in Ogunquit, and had some of the best seafood I have ever tasted. We went to a little "food truck" every day for lunch, and enjoyed fresh haddock, fried shrimp, and fried clams. What a beautiful place, and only a 3 hour drive from my house in VT. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. We are headed back in a few weeks to stay with some friends whose parents own a beach front house in Kennebunkport.

But the real question is....did your balls make it back undamaged??

But the real question is....did your balls make it back undamaged??

Completely undamaged. And I even chased after fiddler crabs in my thong bathing suit.

Johnny: thanks for the report. Makes me want to get back up there to check it out again. Sounds great.

Yessir! Good times.

I guess you never made it to Portsmouth?

Not Maine... But just as cold. :D If anybody is in The UP and has a taste for pasty and wants to be 400 miles away from the hustle and bustle... I suggest the "Cape Cod w/out the rat race" of the Great Lakes: Keweenaw peninsula. No saltwater, no sharks. A little further east, a great beach is Au Train (Au Train, Michigan)... On the road between Marquette and Munising. This beach has it all... Main sandy beach on the Big Lake,,, Little inlet, with back warm water pools for the little ones and anybody else who doesn't want the cold Lake (Au Train Bay, Lake Superior)... Right off the road (M-28) and a stone's throw from town where they make the best Yooper pasty! Go to the gas station in town for the pasty, eat them @ the beach.

You can even jump off the highway bridge into the deep inlet... This beach has it all... Best part, not crowded, it is way up there.

Best of everything a beach can have... Never long for the ocean again. Took the long weekend traversing the UP of Michigan from The Keweenaw to The Soo and found this gem! The bridge jumping was cool! VERY nice local place. Most people probably zoom right past this hidden gem!

Au Train:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au+Train+Township,+MI/@46.3289712,-86.9560206,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d4e636a6e81ebf9:0x5da7e926562c819c!8m2!3d46.3559235!4d-86.789398

Au Train bridge jumping (my son, not going to show you my ugly old ass... But I did do the jumps!) Michigan highway M-28:

post-1877-0-93630700-1469637815_thumb.jpg

post-1877-0-93413500-1469637957_thumb.jpg

post-1877-0-73083800-1469638040_thumb.jpg

post-1877-0-86058400-1469638055_thumb.jpg

post-1877-0-84512900-1469638067_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Jump between the painted marks or you are doomed!

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.4330682,-86.836498,3a,75y,330.58h,90.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skiS_Lp49mSVn9t0DzlFWvA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Edited by ExiledInIllinois