Williams speech/Alton/Philando/Dallas shootings

Yes but the raw numbers don't account for situations or opportunities. Could it be that black males are rightfully engaged by police far more often? Crime rates would strongly suggest yes.

Could it be that they were wrongfully engaged far more often? Could it be that reported crime rates represent a bias in and of itself?

Numbers are just numbers. They're less than nothing without context.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police officers, while protecting the public's right to protest got cussed at, spat on, threatened, and cowardly murdered this morning. Meanwhile, the people who had just moments earlier been protesting against the police are now fleeing for their own lives. The police stood by, trying to keep the protesters safe, watching their friends and colleagues get murdered, wondering if they were next.

You know the beauty of a policeman's heart? He will always be there. He will take all kinds of abuse, verbal and physical. But, he isn't going anywhere. He will stay and fight. He runs towards the gunfire, while every human instinct in his body says to run away.

RIP heroes.

Ben franklin will be right and quote himself from a long time ago to prove he was right.

Trump will win president

The bills will fire Rex

I bet a million dollars on this

Ben franklins/john Adams/idiot will still be moron in January claiming to be independent

Edited by Boyst62

I know we're on to Dallas, but that shooting in MN, why was the woman talking to the camera while her boyfriend is writhing and moaning in pain next to her? That was rather jarring.

I know we're on to Dallas, but that shooting in MN, why was the woman talking to the camera while her boyfriend is writhing and moaning in pain next to her? That was rather jarring.

That blew my mind, it shows she clearly has no regard for the life of her dying/dead boyfriend, because OMG I need to live stream this s***

Reading this is hilarious. We are upset because two ignorant fools died? Boo hoo. Don't resist arrest, fight or act like an ass. And dont just say I have a gun. And if that **** matters, Jesus aint gonna bring your idiot boyfriend back as you live stream it.

Tell em General Lee. That guy in Minnesota should have been picking cotton instead of going for a joyride in the middle of the day.

If she didn't video it that cop could kill others over burnt out lights. Edited by Ryan L Billz

I wish mourning the losses of Sterling and Castile, and the officers in Dallas weren't seen as mutually exclusive.

None of the above were necessary. I really hope we aren't heading towards escalation.

We're already well in to escalation. Really, is anyone surprised this happened?

We're already well in to escalation. Really, is anyone surprised this happened?

Hooray liberal media bomb-throwing. Perhaps THIS is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

An enlightening read that seems to predict our near-term future.

It is? Dang. Never thought about that. You're right. It is obviously the systemic murder of black males by "the man".

You can characterize what I said however you wish, but if I'd be interested to hear how exactly you come to the conclusion that I said anything about systematic murder at the hands of "the man".

:lol:

That makes a black male about...3 or 4 times more likely to get shot?

But I recall the Post's methodology being flawed anyway, with the data collection being uneven because there's no consistent reporting of police violence.

It doesn't matter if any source's methodology is flawed if you're going to cite the numbers and then use crappy math to make a point.

Do statistics like that even prove anything? How many of those 468 were justified? How many of the 248 were justified? Can we honestly say there is an agenda out there because of this though? Aren't there statistics out there that say a certain race is subject to more gun violence than others? Why is that? Does it correlate with why there are more deaths? I mean this is why there should be studies done, but they would be disregarded any which way, so I guess why bother, we will just keep the circle of hate going.

Thank you. :beer:

That last point is moot. It doesn't MATTER to the blm people that the shooting is justified or not. Squawking about it is about advancing their black-first agenda, including reparations for slavery.

I didn't take him to be referring to the BLM people. I only meant that I support his questioning of statistics.

It took me a while to find this (although it shouldn't have) because I was looking for a thread with Dallas in the name.

I don't really know where to start. I can't bring myself to watch video from La., Mn., or Dallas.

There is a lot to this that I find very disturbing. Maybe the most disturbing to me is the loss of the individual. At the end of it, the deceased are (were) people. Whether they were shot by police, or they were police, they will have people missing them. These people will remember them long after we have forgotten "those victims" or "those police". You don't have to take a side to realize that. Dehumanizing these people is dangerous and it is natural for it to happen when we feel a need to take a side or simplify things by thinking of others as part of a group. When it does happen, facts go ignored (like if the victims were totally innocent, about to shoot the cops or anywhere in between, or if the shooters in Dallas turn out to be part of some larger organization or just a few terrible people or something else).

I think it is fair to say that some believe police have categorized black people and are more prone to harass them (by harass I mean everything from speeding tickets a white guy wouldn't get all the way to shooting them and everywhere in between). If true, or true in certain categories or locations, this needs to be stopped. The question is how. A bad way to go about stopping it is to categorize police (the mirror image of the same problem). This is a simplification that won't lead to a viable solution. As Tom points out, the problem hasn't even been properly defined (another disturbing point). If the individual black guy getting a speeding ticket was going 95 in a 40, he deserves it. The black guy going 42 is the one that has been victimized. The reverse is no better. A cop who is corrupt needs to be brought to account, but a cop shot while guarding a protest march in a city far from the event under protest, is plainly and simply a victim. Because he is an individual. It is not right to treat him as a cog in some gigantic machine with which you are at war.

I could probably go on and on here and I'm trying to figure out a way of wrapping up. I guess the top thing for me is what I see in our country as a loss of respect for any individual except one (me me me). It seems to me that people in 2016 have an incredible ability to discern the impact events have on them as an individual, but when it comes to other individuals they are far far removed from reality. Everyone else falls into a group of good guys or bad guys. Nobody else is an individual. The initial suspect was carrying a rifle at an event where cops were targeted and shot by people with rifles. His outrage at even being questioned (although he was very quickly released) focuses completely on himself and how he feels he was treated unfairly. Police lied to him as part of the interrogation? Maybe they were trying to trip him up into admitting something? Shocking. The 30 minute detention period tells me that they pretty quickly realized he had nothing to do with it and they let him go. He said he feels the system is out to get him. If so, he is using the wrong example. His brother, an event organizer, laments being a suspect and a villain. Well, a suspect is just that, and the dismissal indicates that time is over. Nobody that I have seen was calling him or his brother a villain.

Our country was founded on the worth of an individual and I think our solution had better come from that mindset. If people are lumped into categories as blacks, whites, cops, criminals, and whatever else, it won't work. I have my opinions about what our political leaders are doing, but I'll keep them out of this particular post.

I guess the top thing for me is what I see in our country as a loss of respect for any individual except one (me me me).

Generation Selfie turned me into the old man shouting for everyone to get off his lawn far, far sooner than I ever expected.

Generation Selfie turned me into the old man shouting for everyone to get off his lawn far, far sooner than I ever expected.

It's not your lawn. You didn't build it, someone else made that happen.