When we clinch a playoff spot...

I don't see it as being embarrassing. I see it as proof of how strong the fan base is. Its been a long time and we all know it. We also know that nobody wants it more.

I see it as embarrassing. You need to act like you've been there (even if it's been a while). Teams storm the field when they accomplish things that they shouldn't (like defeat a powerhouse). If we stormed the field for a playoff berth we'd become a joke. I can't even imagine the memes that would pop up. We always want to be considered a big league city and we need to act like one. The goal in the NFL isn't to make the playoffs, it's to win a Super Bowl. That's when you celebrate.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it as embarrassing. You need to act like you've been there (even if it's been a while). Teams storm the field when they accomplish things that they shouldn't (like defeat a powerhouse). If we stormed the field for a playoff berth we'd become a joke. I can't even imagine the memes that would pop up. We always want to be considered a big league city and we need to act like one. The goal in the NFL isn't to make the playoffs, it's to win a Super Bowl. That's when you celebrate.

Absolutely! And even when you win the Super Bowl, you act like rational human beings. Burning cars and sofas in the street screams "NO CLASS" to the world.

I was there in 88 and you get swept up in the moment. Embarrassing? Yes, but that is looking back on it. Goal posts being torn down a bit over the top. But so are Bills fans. I expect it to happen again when the curse is broken. GO BILLS!

Edited by BuffaloMatt

I was there and you get swept up in the moment. Embarrassing? Yes, but that is looking back on it. Goal posts being torn down a bit over the top. But so are Bills fans. I expect it to happen again when the curse is broken. GO BILLS!

I was there as well (against the Jets anyways). Since when did the goal become a playoff berth?!? Why does every team in the NFL try to win a Super Bowl and the Bills try to get a playoff spot?!? That's just ridiculous. I hate the small time feel that we portray. We should believe that we belong there. It's fine to be happy to get to the playoffs but you don't go crazy until the goal is reached. The goal isn't a wild card berth!!!!

After 10 crown royals I will have no shame to storm the field. Bring it on.

After 10 crown royals you are more likely to stagger and fall and be trampled by the more sober fans storming the field. :D

I was there as well (against the Jets anyways). Since when did the goal become a playoff berth?!? Why does every team in the NFL try to win a Super Bowl and the Bills try to get a playoff spot?!? That's just ridiculous. I hate the small time feel that we portray. We should believe that we belong there. It's fine to be happy to get to the playoffs but you don't go crazy until the goal is reached. The goal isn't a wild card berth!!!!

I was there as well for all three and it wasn't something that is planned ahead as far as I could tell. But rather the fans just getting caught up in the emotion and spontaneity of the moment. Football is a game of great passion in both the players and the fans.

To be honest, it would not shock me at all to see the fans tear down the goal posts this year if say the Bills go 12-2 by the week 14 Steelers game. Then to go on and win that game while taking the division title and get a playoff berth at the same time.

A pic I took at the game

87%2BBills%2Bwin%2BAFC%2BEast.jpg

Wanted to add,

AFC%2BChamp%2Btickets.jpg

Edited by Nihilarian

In my mind, the main thing right now is a playoff berth to get the drought monkey off of everyone's back. Of course that's not the end goal, but the beginning of long-term growth. If they go deeper than the first round the year the drought snaps? Great! If not, at least we can then say, ok, the clock has been reset. Now focus on getting there again next year.

I don't see it as being embarrassing. I see it as proof of how strong the fan base is. Its been a long time and we all know it. We also know that nobody wants it more.

Well that's where you are wrong. It does not show even a little how strong the fan base is or how bad they want it. Just that it is stupid enough, pathetic enough, and drunk enough to do it. It would be embarrassing to say the least to see that happen just for making the playoffs. But that said, it would not surprise me if at least a subset of fans in attendance did it. But to me this discussion is academic. I don't see a path to a home playoff game this coming season without something extraordinary happening.

I can actually see a 12 win team with a punishing defense (all dreams but what if it happened) in December doing it. I won't be there and at my age would really worry about someone getting hurt. I went over my story of the 1988 Jets game, but what I didn't share in much detail how so many people fell on each other and I had layers of people on my legs where I really worried I was going to snappy my knee.

Back then I was a powerlifting, and was quite strong, but couldn't move those peopleo For my legs. That was scary. I loved the jubilation, and getting on that goal post, but would never want one of my sons on that field.

It's just too crazy. Anyway, Happy 4th guys!

Enjoy those burgers and beers.

I think if you want the goal to be a Super Bowl you have to make the playoffs first. We haven't made the playoffs in 16 long years. That is a long time. People criticize us for having Super Bowl hopes any given year because we don't ever even make the playoffs, so yes, making the playoffs adds some legitimacy to our team and is something to be excited enough about to storm the field. We need to end this drought. :beer:

Didn't the goal posts come down after the first AFL championship at the Rock Pile? My mom and dad went to the game and I recall that they said they went on the field after and that my mom hurt her leg when someone ran her over. I'll have to ask her, though she's 89 now so may not remember!

HBW- your original question was about that day when "By a Nose" Fred Smerlas (that was the title of his book about his time with the Bills) blocked that field goal from the Jets, and Norwood kicked the game winning field goal.

It was a great weekend. I was in college at SUNY Oswego. I brought 8 of my college friends, mostly Jets fans to the game. Add that to 6 of my high school St. Francis friends and needless to say it was a serious party for the weekend. We met the night before about 30 Gamma guys ( our rival fraternity from Oswego ) at PJ Bottoms and ended up in a brawl with the UB Rugby team. It was fine as no one was really hurt, just a war story. Chili dogs at 4 am, am and three hours later we were partying at one of the lots, probably Hammers by 8:30 am.

The game was so much fun and the beginning of the end of us being bad. We were good during Chuck Knox years in 80-81, but sucked until 88. I can honestly say, I was the third guy on the goal post for all of a minute before someone tried to climb up me and I flew off the goal post into the crowd. We hit the field fast as we were in end zone seats. At first, it was fun as we were on the side of the tunnel and padding on the shoulder pads guys like Wolfird, and Ritcher. After I flew off the goal post the crowd was so nuts people fell on each other, and was crazy.

I remember after getting away from the mob just watching people taking parts of the post and tossing it over the top of the third level.

Thinking back now as a dad, it was dangerous and stupid, but was truly the end of us being bad, and we went on a 13 year run of making it to the playoffs most years from the Kelly years to a short run with Flutie and that amazing defense.

I know it would look silly of we stormed the stadium if we clinched the playoffs, but I also remember feeling like we were starting something back then, and it was true. It felt so good to be a winner again. Anyway, HBW, that was my memory of fandemonium. Thank god I survived college and will never tell that story to my sons.

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

I agree it is dangerous. I doubt people could even tear down goal posts these days. I would assume they are pretty sturdy.

I just think it would be great to see everyone celebrate in the middle of the field.

Go Bills!

I hope the day comes where fans become deliriously happy and do such a thing.

It is not a thought out process, its an emotion that has spread over the fans at the game.

I will be delighted and proud when this day comes.

The day fans rush the field en masse will be the day we all feel the joy we have so long waited for.

I will be cheering them from my recliner though. :D

Surprised to hear folks say they're embarrassed that their fellow fans are passionate. I hope you feel embarrassed this year if winning and celebrating does it to you. I'd be laffin and maybe crying out of joy watching those suckers get torn down. It's not the ultimate goal of course but still a goal. When the Bills make the playoffs it's going to be a big day for all of us whether we let it show or not so may as well embrace it. Who cares what non Bills fans think

Even though it might look a little silly to rush the field, I can relate to the jubilation from years ago. Only because I was at that one game and saw how nuts it became on the field, I wouldn't want the fans to do it as it is easy for multiple people to get trampled, or at the least injured.

If it is a home game, and I pray it is, do fans storm the field?

I was too young at the time to appreciate the stories I've heard of fans carrying the field goal post up to Ralph's box.

I would love to hear stories from people who were at that game.

I did in '88 at Jets OT game

I am with all of you who have opined that it was spontaneity that controlled the moment. When it happened in 88 it wasn't planned it just happened. It has nothing to do with small thinking. No one there was content with only that win or clinching a playoff spot. Let us all hope we continue this thread after the field is stormed this year.