Police Shamelessly cite Terrorism in Patrolling Private Lots

Fingon

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question. I wonder the age ranges in both sides of the arguments. I'd put any money on it that the crowd that is against police in private lots are in their low to mid 20s and the rest are 35+.

I'd also like to get an idea as to which ones also smoke weed and do other illegal activities while in the lots. I'm not talking about keg stands and drunken wrestling.

Honest question. I wonder the age ranges in both sides of the arguments. I'd put any money on it that the crowd that is against police in private lots are in their low to mid 20s and the rest are 35+.

I'd also like to get an idea as to which ones also smoke weed and do other illegal activities while in the lots. I'm not talking about keg stands and drunken wrestling.

The issue for me has little to do with police, and everything to do with the change in culture in this country. "Terrorism" has been a buzzword used to dictate foreign and domestic policy for the past 16 years. In that time we've seen our civil rights rolled back (we've lost our right to due process, privacy, and in some ways speech) all under the guise of fighting the "war on Terror" -- an invisible enemy which we're told hates us for our freedom and yet the only way to keep us safe is to strip away those very same freedoms in exchange for protection from the state. That's a con worthy of Paul Newman and Robert Redford in the Sting.

That's the larger context of this discussion. I have no problem with police in general, or even with police being in the lots. I do have a problem with the government using terrorism as the excuse to do so when it's clearly not about terrorism but about protecting the NFL's brand.

Using state and local police to essentially be rent-a-cops for a giant corporation isn't something we should just accept because someone mentions "terrorism".

The issue for me has little to do with police, and everything to do with the change in culture in this country. "Terrorism" has been a buzzword used to dictate foreign and domestic policy for the past 16 years. In that time we've seen our civil rights rolled back (we've lost our right to due process, privacy, and in some ways speech) all under the guise of fighting the "war on Terror" -- an invisible enemy which we're told hates us for our freedom and yet the only way to keep us safe is to strip away those very same freedoms in exchange for protection from the state. That's a con worthy of Paul Newman and Robert Redford in the Sting.

That's the larger context of this discussion. I have no problem with police in general, or even with police being in the lots. I do have a problem with the government using terrorism as the excuse to do so when it's clearly not about terrorism but about protecting the NFL's brand.

Using state and local police to essentially be rent-a-cops for a giant corporation isn't something we should just accept because someone mentions "terrorism".

i disagree on any levels. I feel that major sporting events are a huge soft spot for terrorist activity. And although we have t seen anything yet I don't feel it's out of the question that we could or will within our lifetimes. There was incredible security back in the day at the Bills first Super Bowl as well. Snipers, Blackhawks, Etc.

I don't disagree in the name of terrorism argument all that much but I do question how badly our rights have been rolled back with the exception of patriot act stuff (and I won't get too much into it because I don't know the details). But, phone taps on known or suspected criminals or terrorists IMO is not so terrible. JMO.

There's plenty to argue about over everything but until we know for sure they are going to police anybody for anything unless they are a terrorist is to be determined. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also said earlier I'd like to find out if any and how many other stadiums have stepped up this policy as well. I would suspect that many other teams in the league either already have or will be following this policy. Hell, I'd bet that lost teams in the league don't have private lots. Many teams in large cities don't have homes and private locations nearby to tailgate like the Bills do.

i disagree on any levels. I feel that major sporting events are a huge soft spot for terrorist activity. And although we have t seen anything yet I don't feel it's out of the question that we could or will within our lifetimes. There was incredible security back in the day at the Bills first Super Bowl as well. Snipers, Blackhawks, Etc.

I understand your point and you certainly have every right to your opinion. (Just stating that off the top) :beer:

I don't see many people on here arguing there shouldn't be security at games, at least I'm not trying to make that case. I have no problem with police in general (or in my day to day life) or the fact that we live in a dangerous world with nuts who want to create carnage and thus need protection.

I don't disagree in the name of terrorism argument all that much but I do question how badly our rights have been rolled back with the exception of patriot act stuff (and I won't get too much into it because I don't know the details). But, phone taps on known or suspected criminals or terrorists IMO is not so terrible. JMO.

You should take the time to do your own research into the matter. Educating yourself is the best way, more than me telling you my take on the issue, and there's plenty of objective material out there. But if you think only criminals and terrorists are being monitored, you'll quickly discover you're wrong. It's everyone, across the country, with very little oversight and even less due process. This has been proven beyond any doubt through whistleblower testimony and the government's own admissions. We are currently living in the largest surveillance state the world has ever known... sounds like hyperbole. It's not.

Not many reasonable people have an issue with police and federal agents investigating folks when they have the proper warrants and evidence. I certainly don't. I understand, like many, that there are bad guys out there who want to cause chaos and that requires vigilance by folks trained to do so. The issue with mass surveillance is that it's done en mass. It collects everything, on everyone, with no means of streamlining that data into anything resembling a useful tool for preventing terrorist attacks -- and we've seen that truth time and time again. These massive collection systems have yet to stop a single terrorist attack, despite that being the primary way these programs have been sold to the public. When you consider that fact, and how the system itself works, it should make you pause and wonder what's really going on.

This is government overreach, plain and simple. Done so under the guise of keeping people safe when really it's the government looking to protect itself from the people. The people are now a threat to the government. That's a near total reversal of the bedrock principle this country was founded upon. It's the people's job to watch the government, not the government's job to watch the people. Due to this new paradigm, we've shifted "innocent until proven guilty" to "guilty until proven innocent" -- at least when it comes to matters of terrorism and mass surveillance.

Those are seismic shifts in what it means to be an American, regardless of your political party affiliations. It's not about left or right, or even young and old. It's about democratic principles versus fascism. Sounds like a stretch... until you do the research.

There's plenty to argue about over everything but until we know for sure they are going to police anybody for anything unless they are a terrorist is to be determined. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also said earlier I'd like to find out if any and how many other stadiums have stepped up this policy as well. I would suspect that many other teams in the league either already have or will be following this policy. Hell, I'd bet that lost teams in the league don't have private lots. Many teams in large cities don't have homes and private locations nearby to tailgate like the Bills do.

Again, my issue isn't really with this particular situation. I tailgate, I don't have a problem with officers patrolling the lots. I also don't have a problem with LEOs in general as the majority of them are doing an incredibly difficult job to the best of their abilities day in and day out.

I do have an issue with the government forcing their way onto private property under the guise of counter terrorism when it's really being done to protect the image of the NFL. That's the crux of the consternation. This isn't about terrorism, not really. That's just the excuse used to get in the door.

I'm 35. I have no interest in living in a police state because it *may* possibly stop someone from doing something stupid / getting killed. If you keep police armored troop transports and military grade hardware then they will use it whether it's need or not. Look at how many no knock warrants are served by SWAT team for non-violent offenders. Why? Because we have a giant battering ram that we got from the military....better use it.

Supporting a armed police state because sometimes bad things happen is a terrible notion. You don't give up freedom to fight people who want to attack freedom.

The behavior of the young in the parking lot is not much different than the college parties that take place every weekend. Dumb stupid **** happens when people drink. Hundreds of videos to prove it.

I'm 35. I have no interest in living in a police state because it *may* possibly stop someone from doing something stupid / getting killed. If you keep police armored troop transports and military grade hardware then they will use it whether it's need or not. Look at how many no knock warrants are served by SWAT team for non-violent offenders. Why? Because we have a giant battering ram that we got from the military....better use it.

Supporting a armed police state because sometimes bad things happen is a terrible notion. You don't give up freedom to fight people who want to attack freedom.

i think your over reacting a little bit here. They are taking about security in private lots. They didn't say anything about swat battering rams and military grade hardware.

i think your over reacting a little bit here. They are taking about security in private lots. They didn't say anything about swat battering rams and military grade hardware.

Paranoia big destroyer.

Where would I look for that?

Private lots are not public places, and I happen to own one. 4th Amendment my friend. This is not about public property. Local law enforcement will want nothing to do with this. It's the elected officials who are catering to Goodell and the NFL who want to have carte Blanche to come onto tax payers property all in the name of protecting the cash cow that is the NFL to minimize bad situations that end up on social media. If I have an issue in my yard, I'll call the OP Police.

Bingo! Thank you.

What's you zoning R-2

Maybe it's the black eye that Buffalo took for things like this;

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2015/12/07/bills-fans-caught-having-sex-in-the-parking-lot/

If I were the county I wouldn't have been too pleased about that. It's shameful behavior, people behaving like animals.

Pure unadulterated terrorism there .... or is that adulterated terrorism ?

Just be honest ... they want to do this to cut back on the partying

Mid-40's here, I don't care if there are police patrolling the lots because I'm not doing anything illegal.

I am on the older side. So I do not mind the the police in any lot. I will give them Stromboli.

By the way , I always thank the officers for their service and tell them to be safe. They have one of the toughest jobs these day.

I am on the older side. So I do not mind the the police in any lot. I will give them Stromboli.

By the way , I always thank the officers for their service and tell them to be safe. They have one of the toughest jobs these day.

and you probably never get hassled or arrested either I bet. You also probably don't break the law either.