Jets' DL Wilkerson Signs a New Deal

Report: Muhammad Wilkerson may not report to Jets training camp

Ryan Fitzpatrick may get the headlines, but the Battle With The Beard isn't even the Jets' biggest contract-related concern this offseason.

ESPN.com reported Tuesday that defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson won't sign his franchise-tag tender in the near future and might not report for the start of training camp on July 27, according to sources.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's recovering from his broken leg still anyway. None the less, he should sign his tender as that would put the ball in the Jets court. He's going to get some big money. They can whittle away a little of his $15.7M cap hit, but I'm guessing not a whole hell of a lot.

Can you really blame him as his only chip is withholding his services. How many big contracts have we seen over the off season, and he is arguably better than any of the other DE, DT's who have receive big money.

Nope, I don't

Can you really blame him as his only chip is withholding his services. How many big contracts have we seen over the off season, and he is arguably better than any of the other DE, DT's who have receive big money.

Yep - all pretty much standard practice now and his benchmark is likely set at over 60 million guarenteed.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I kind of do blame him because players keep telling us they understand it's a business. Then all we hear is that they're frustrated when they don't have the upper hand. Well I really wish they would pick one.

I kind of do blame him because players keep telling us they understand it's a business. Then all we hear is that they're frustrated when they don't have the upper hand. Well I really wish they would pick one.

I'm surprised the NFLPA agreed to keep Franchise and Transition tags in the CBA.

NFL players have the worse Union in sports. It's the sport with the most chance for injury, shortest careers, most profitable, and doesn't have guarantee contracts. It's insane.

They need new leadership that won't sell them out so easily.

this issue stuck out to me as THE REASON the fitz debacle has been so protracted

obviously they'd rather lock up mo, so they can't compromise on a qb of fitz's caliber

No doubt the two issues are connected. They are in a difficult spot.

They need new leadership that won't sell them out so easily.

Gene Upshaw was the strongest leader they will ever have forever, and he was the one who, along with Tagliabu, came up with the tag system.

In two seasons (2014, 2015) the tag was used less than a dozen times total (almost all non exclusive or transitional).

Gene Upshaw was the strongest leader they will ever have forever, and he was the one who, along with Tagliabu, came up with the tag system.

In two seasons (2014, 2015) the tag was used less than a dozen times total (almost all non exclusive or transitional).

The number of applications is besides the point of it restricting player movement.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The number of applications is besides the point of it restricting player movement.

The rarity of the franchise application shows you how little the NFL actually restricts the movement

The franchise tag never bothers any of the players who aren't franchised. But they all have agreed to it for over 20 years and every CBA since.