The Cavs-Bills comparisons have begun

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sincerely happy for Cleveland as it seems like there is a fraternity of suffering among our two sports cities, and wish them all the best. Plus, I don't particularly care for basketball AND Buffalo no longer has a pro team, so not competing with them for anything - in football however, that's a different story. So, happy for the City of Cleveland, and now hopeful Buffalo can take a similar path in both football and hockey....ya know, the only two sports that really matter.

Edited by BigBuff423

I agree with this. Stay classy Buffalo. Buffalo doesn't lose just because Cleveland has won.

I am a little jealous though...

sorry but it is what it is. when they do those lists on espn and sports illustrated of the worst sports city guess who is going to be #1 now? Cleveland was always a little more pathetic than us so we could always count on them to take away some of the attention. nobody is going to feel sorry for san diego with their mansions and beaches. leaves us all alone in loserville now

sorry but it is what it is. when they do those lists on espn and sports illustrated of the worst sports city guess who is going to be #1 now? Cleveland was always a little more pathetic than us so we could always count on them to take away some of the attention. nobody is going to feel sorry for san diego with their mansions and beaches. leaves us all alone in loserville now

Buffalo will never be the worst sports city. If anything, it's in the running for best sports city. Just because you don't win a title doesn't make you a bad sports city.

I was very conflicted last night. I wanted GS to lose because they were getting anointed as the greatest team ever. I hated the way Lebron left Cleveland and loved the way he came back. But man, it's weird that Cleveland has a title and we don't have one. So strange.

At the same point, I kinda like having the goal of winning a title to look forward to. Something changes after you win. It's no longer as special. In some ways, I'd rather be the Cubs than the Red Sox.

Patrick Kane and Rob Gronkowski don't love Buffalo like LeBron loves Cleveland. Kane didnt have to sign in Chicago.

Not real fair comparison. 1) Those guys can't single handedly carry you to a championship like Lebron can.

2) Kane LOVES Buffalo. Gronk still comes back every year for events.

3) The comparison would be more valid if those guys were drafted by us and then left.

At the same point, I kinda like having the goal of winning a title to look forward to. Something changes after you win. It's no longer as special. In some ways, I'd rather be the Cubs than the Red Sox.

Oh definitely, that 1st win is going to always feel the best. Last night Im thinking about this exact thing. What does Cleveland do now? How would I feel after we won. I think there would be this great emotional release, I probably cry for a while. Just think about how we got here. I think most fans would cry. But then what?

This means so much to me because we never won. Its what drives me. Its why Im sensitive whenever someone speaks bad about Buffalo. We are the loser city. I want that loser title to go, but what happens after?

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Oh definitely, that 1st win is going to always feel the best. Last night Im thinking about this exact thing. What does Cleveland do now? How would I feel after we won. I think there would be this great emotional release, I probably cry for a while. Just think about how we got here. I think most fans would cry. But then what?

This means so much to me because we never won. Its what drives me. Its why Im sensitive whenever someone speaks bad about Buffalo. We are the loser city. I want that loser title to go, but what happens after?

I'm a 47 year old native Clevelander who moved to Buffalo 4 years ago. Cleveland teams will always come first. The Sabres are my only hockey team. The Indians are my only baseball team and the Cavs are my only basketball team. I absolutely love football and I'll root hard for the Bills unless they're playing the Browns (except for any Browns-are-out-of-it-Bills-are-still-in-it scenarios). The wife is a Steelers fan (tough times, these last 19 years), my daughter is a nomadic fan that follows her favorite player (Peyton Manning and now Zeke Elliott) and my son has taken my path. The Bills are the NFL team we can all root for as a family. (We all root for Ohio State too.)

I wanted so much to see Cleveland gets a championship in my life. I'd love to see Buffalo get one, too. The pain of being so close so many times wears on you, as you are all aware. There is no comeback for ridicule that you have to endure. The expectation that something will go wrong, that someone will choke is always there. You do things like blame Jose Mesa for choking in the bottom of the 9th in game 7, but you also realize that the pressure must've been beyond belief. What Lebron just did cannot be overstated. Lebron's block, Kyrie's pressure shot and Love's defense were the plays Cleveland hadn't made in 52 years. Coming back from being down 3-1 in the finals, something no NBA team has ever done, against the team with the best regular season record ever and having to take 2 of those 3 on GS's home court (where they only lost 2 in the regular season and 1 previously in the playoffs) was unbelievable. Historic.

I expected to lose it and break down in tears and have it be done with, but that didn't happen. I cried a little bit when it happened and a little bit several times since, when something about it strikes me. The emotions are coming out a little bit at a time. There was a moment of disbelief when it happened. The scenario almost seems manufactured. Lebron's return. The circumstances around it. Lebron's "This is for you, Cleveland!" That's what you dream about, but you don't get to experience it in real life. You give Brian Sipe a standing ovation when he enters a restaurant for the first time after Red Right 88, to show him you appreciate and know that he gave it his all. You wonder if that's how you show appreciation for the people that brought you the hardware, a championship. That even feels odd to type. "Hardware" seems a lot more approachable a word than "championship". Then you realize that these people had the same admirable qualities. They were just rewarded for them this time. And so were we.

I could make a joke about how it feels. Something like "It's like having truly great sex for the first time. You bask in it for a little while, then you want it again." But that's not quite right (or quite wrong). It's all I could've imagined to say at such a time last week though. No, my biggest takeaway is that winning now seems possible. The next time a Cleveland team is in the playoffs the mentality will be that of "We can do it!", not "What'll go wrong this time?" The "loser" label is shed along with all of the internalized mental issues that go along with it. I sincerely hope that Buffalo fans take what the Cavaliers did to heart. Watching Cleveland win a championship should tell Buffalo fans that it is possible here too.

Edited by BarleyNY

Pirates have been in the playoffs several years after going 20+ without making it...

Royals went from bottom feeder to World Series then World Series Champs the last 2 seasons...

Blue Jays break the longest active playoff drought in major sports last season...

Cavs win the NBA championship...

It's GOTTA be our turn....

Fun to think about, but this isn't some random thing. I don't follow baseball anymore but I have to think that the Pirates, Royals, and Jays, at least in the specified seasons, didn't merely succeed with random mediocre chumps that just managed to gel for those seasons only, I have to think that there was good management involved somewhere along the way.

Cavs have championship talent whether they would have won or not. We do not on the Bills. We don't have championship coaching, we don't have championship QB play, we don't have a championship D. We don't even have a championship O where we pumped all of our money last year. This year we pumped all of our money into a D but if the results are similar then the D won't be much better anyway and it's already a 50/50 at best if it will be. Until our drafted players prove anything they're just like any other 2nd, 3rd, etc. round picks around the league.

Buffalo will never be the worst sports city. If anything, it's in the running for best sports city. Just because you don't win a title doesn't make you a bad sports city.

You must not read these things because Buffalo is top 3 in every one I've ever read. Now we will probably be #1. Some people might not think it's a big deal but all of my college friends live in other cities and the only time they hear about buffalo is when they talk about them making lists like these. The only people that think Buffalo is a great sports city are people from Buffalo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2016/04/20/americas-most-miserable-sports-cities-2016/#2abaa47c5c10

http://www.citiesjournal.com/top-13-worst-sports-cities/

You must not read these things because Buffalo is top 3 in every one I've ever read. Now we will probably be #1. Some people might not think it's a big deal but all of my college friends live in other cities and the only time they hear about buffalo is when they talk about them making lists like these. The only people that think Buffalo is a great sports city are people from Buffalo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2016/04/20/americas-most-miserable-sports-cities-2016/#2abaa47c5c10

if your college friends say so, it must be true of everyone. Edited by YoloinOhio

The only people that think Buffalo is a great sports city are people from Buffalo.

And anyone else should matter?

Blows my mind that there are people who rather have seen Cleveland lose, just because it might make Buffalo look good on an arbitrary list, made up by some arbitrary person. Sometimes the Buffalo mentality is truly a thing to behold...

I'm not even an NBA fan, but was stoked as hell for my friends that live in Cleveland - they've waited a long time and should enjoy!! :beer:

If Buffalo is not a good sports city, why are events like the NCAA tournament, Junior World hockey championship, and NHL draft being held there?

My college friends all love coming to Buffalo and think it is a great sports city, with bad pro teams. And I know for a fact my friends are way cooler than your friends. :pirate:

if your college friends say so, it must be true of everyone.

It's a gauge of what people that don't know anything about Buffalo think of Buffalo. And now we are the bottom of the barrel. I have a lot of pride in my city so yes I care what others think. If you live in Buffalo and never leave buffalo then I guess you won't care. I have homes elsewhere and I dislike the negative reactions I receive when I tell people I'm from Buffalo.

My college friends all love coming to Buffalo and think it is a great sports city, with bad pro teams. And I know for a fact my friends are way cooler than your friends. :pirate:

Where are your friends coming from? Rochester? :-)

My friends in NYC, Chicago, and LA, etc think Buffalo is a joke and yea I guess I take it personally

It's a gauge of what people that don't know anything about Buffalo think of Buffalo. And now we are the bottom of the barrel. I have a lot of pride in my city so yes I care what others think. If you live in Buffalo and never leave buffalo then I guess you won't care. I have homes elsewhere and I dislike the negative reactions I receive when I tell people I'm from Buffalo.

My friends in NYC, Chicago, and LA, etc think Buffalo is a joke and yea I guess I take it personally

clearly I don't live in Buffalo.

No wonder you are so bitter. The negative reactions are more because your "friends" know little about Buffalo than fundamental knowledge about Buffalo being "a joke". Two of the cities you mentioned have superiority complex because they are NYC and LA and are "the greatest thing us peasants can imagine."