Today I learned.....

This is great CBF! I am trying to predict where your searches will take you next! I love going off on tangents in Wiki or the dictionary! You are going right up the Baltic coast, what is next The Fins and sisu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

"Sisu means that you finish what you start, you don’t quit in the middle of a job, and you don’t whine.

"It doesn’t take sisu to go to the North Pole; it takes sisu to stand at the door when the bear is on the other side.""

What is it with Google Images recently; half the time when you click thumbnail you see large image briefly then it goes away. Multiple browsers. You can select "View Image" to see it in another window but that misses the point.

Maybe it is the orange sunshine acid? :nana::nana:

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading back from Lake Superior and The UP of Michigan, up Wisconsin side and down Michigan side... I knew the Niagara Escarpment stretches from New York State, through Southern Ontario, up and around the edge of Georgian Bay (submerged under Lake Huron, creating Georgian Bay), through the "bow tie" of Michigan and down to Green Bay and Door County, Wisconsin... Basically "bowling in" the Middle Lakes of Michigan, Huron, and Erie.

What I didn't know is that under the Straits of Mackinac, lies a recently discovered underwater waterfalls, under 100 feet of water in The straits.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Falls

Discovered August 16, 2007.

Also... I remember reading somewhere and I find fascinating that when Niagara Falls finally erodes all the way to BFLo and meets the head of Lake Erie as a bunch of rapids... Lake Huron and Michigan will drop an estimated 100-150 feet! Boy, if we could only live a couple of 1,000 years! :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

TIL CBF spends a lot of time on Reddit and then cross posts to TBD :P

One of my favorites is that Ohio is the only state that doesn't share a letter with the word mackerel. Strangely enough it is also the only state without an a,n, or s. Which means that it also is the only state that doesn't share a letter with anus.

HF... WTF! They got dog spotter police watching and counting?

My daughter would love that place... So judgemental (chip of her mother's block ;-) ;-) ), helicopter pet owners telling others how to pet own. My wife & daughter would be in their element.

We visited an old copper mine and my daughter was not inpressed (to say the very least) taking a tour in 40 degree conditions when it was 80 above ground. To make a long story short, the proprietor of the attraction (1800's copper mine), had this cutest baby pet skunk... Yes a skunk (descented of course)! Well, my daughter thought it was great, except for the part about having to spend its existence w/a loving family that owned an old copper mine! LMAO! I said: "What?"

She'd be just the person to pass laws that say: "walk your dog 3x" or "no baby skunks near a mine!!" Next time I am telling her: "move to Italy" Fascism will fit you well.

LMAO... The Starbucks generation!

;-)

Tis I rant... Carry on... Gr8 stuff!

HF... WTF! They got dog spotter police watching and counting?

My daughter would love that place... So judgemental (chip of her mother's block ;-) ;-) ), helicopter pet owners telling others how to pet own. My wife & daughter would be in their element.

We visited an old copper mine and my daughter was not inpressed (to say the very least) taking a tour in 40 degree conditions when it was 80 above ground. To make a long story short, the proprietor of the attraction (1800's copper mine), had this cutest baby pet skunk... Yes a skunk (descented of course)! Well, my daughter thought it was great, except for the part about having to spend its existence w/a loving family that owned an old copper mine! LMAO! I said: "What?"

She'd be just the person to pass laws that say: "walk your dog 3x" or "no baby skunks near a mine!!" Next time I am telling her: "move to Italy" Fascism will fit you well.

LMAO... The Starbucks generation!

;-)

Tis I rant... Carry on... Gr8 stuff!

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it!

CBF

What constitutes "central point of US?" Continental I would think?

So... Can we add just a wee bit more land on one of the coasts so to move that point? LoL... He he...

Uh...yeah? In nuclear plants, the radioactive material is concentrated in solid or liquid form. In coal plants, there's a lot less radioactive material...but it goes spewing out all over the place.

And in truth, unless you're actually living in a stack, you'll get more radiation in your basement than you ever will from a coal plant. Hell, you probably get more from bananas (which have enough phosphorous in them that radiation is sometimes measured in banana-equivalent-doses - someone near Three Mile Island in 1979 was exposed to 800 BED's - the radiation equivalent of eating 800 bananas.)