Today I learned.....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
There is a BFLo connection.

Glad to see, the Polish kicking the azz of the German Nazi sympathizers.

Interesting: (Wiki)

"In 1939, Greenstein was charged with aggravated assault, grievous bodily harm, and mass mayhem against 18 members of the German American Bund (he allegedly beat them with a baseball bat, while suffering no personal injuries). Allegedly, when the judge asked him about the fight, he replied "It wasn't a fight, your honor. It was a pleasure". Out of sheer disbelief, anti-Nazi sentiment, and lack of evidence (many witnesses against him were too injured to testify) the case against him was dismissed."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_Bund

Was formed in Buffalo, New York, 1936.

He picked the wrong state to mess w/tax evasion:

"In 1939, a New York tax investigation determined that Kuhn had embezzled $14,000 from the Bund. The Bund did not seek to have Kuhn prosecuted, operating on the principle (Führerprinzip), that the leader had absolute power. However, New York City's district attorney prosecuted him in an attempt to cripple the Bund. On December 5, 1939, Kuhn was sentenced to two and a half to five years in prison for tax evasion and embezzlement."

Good thing:

"New York's got the ways and means; but just won't let you be, oh no."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

TodY I learned that your dog really does understand what you are saying

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dogs-same-parts-brain-humans-process-language-084049575.html

Okay I already knew that but still a cool story :)

Have they done a study yet that proves your cat is trying to kill you?

Cats understand what you're saying, too. Probably better than dogs.

Cats just don't give a ****.

hahaha

CBF

You know, I've been trying to figure out what, exactly, Canada did in the Pacific. They made a vital contribution to the European campaign (the RCN bore the burden of anti-submarine work until about 1943, and No. 6 Group of RAF Bomber Command was almost entirely Canadian.) But in the Pacific? I'm pretty much an expert on the subject of WWII, and I still couldn't think of anything. I had to look it up:

Canada lost two battalions in Hong Kong.

Canada had one ship (HMCS Uganda) nearly mutiny, and "fight at Leyte Gulf" - which apparently involved sailing around in circles wondering where the hell everyone else was, since this was during the battle of Okinawa and Leyte had been over for some six months. As for the mutiny, as far as I can tell the only reason for it was "We're Canadian, goddammit!"

Canada's contribution in Europe was well out of proportion to the size of the country. Canada's contribution to the Pacific War was...underwhelming, to say the least. It's entirely fitting that you friggin' Canucks would !@#$ up signing the treaty.

You know, I've been trying to figure out what, exactly, Canada did in the Pacific. They made a vital contribution to the European campaign (the RCN bore the burden of anti-submarine work until about 1943, and No. 6 Group of RAF Bomber Command was almost entirely Canadian.) But in the Pacific? I'm pretty much an expert on the subject of WWII, and I still couldn't think of anything. I had to look it up:

Canada lost two battalions in Hong Kong.

Canada had one ship (HMCS Uganda) nearly mutiny, and "fight at Leyte Gulf" - which apparently involved sailing around in circles wondering where the hell everyone else was, since this was during the battle of Okinawa and Leyte had been over for some six months. As for the mutiny, as far as I can tell the only reason for it was "We're Canadian, goddammit!"

Canada's contribution in Europe was well out of proportion to the size of the country. Canada's contribution to the Pacific War was...underwhelming, to say the least. It's entirely fitting that you friggin' Canucks would !@#$ up signing the treaty.

Your right, I know we werent a huge factor in WWII. Didnt we play a role in the Dieppe raid with the US?

For me, WWI...the battle of Vimy Ridge is something that makes me very proud to be Canadian and still brings a tear to my eye

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

CBF