Today I learned.....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep Texas, give them back California and throw in New England and Illinois

Sorry no I do not want my US citizenship questioned by a "birther" when they find out I was born in Chicago. Now Texas was illegally seized from Mexico and still has many ties including electrical grid so is natural to be returned to Mexico.

Sorry no I do not want my US citizenship questioned by a "birther" when they find out I was born in Chicago. Now Texas was illegally seized from Mexico and still has many ties including electrical grid so is natural to be returned to Mexico.

How was it seized illegally? Texas fought for it's independence from Mexico the same way Mexico fought for it's independence from Spain and the United States from Britain. Only difference is Texas opted to later join another country, leave that country, and be forced to rejoin.

How was it seized illegally? Texas fought for it's independence from Mexico the same way Mexico fought for it's independence from Spain and the United States from Britain. Only difference is Texas opted to later join another country, leave that country, and be forced to rejoin.

Texas was first annexed in 1845 by the US. They didn't just "join."

Texas was first annexed in 1845 by the US. They didn't just "join."

No, they didn't just join. They negotiated a treaty with the US, which was ratified by the House, Senate, and people of the Republic of Texas, that allowed Texas' entry into the United States without first going through a territorial phase.

It was a completely voluntary act by Texas, and an "annexation" only in the broadest sense of the word.

No, they didn't just join. They negotiated a treaty with the US, which was ratified by the House, Senate, and people of the Republic of Texas, that allowed Texas' entry into the United States without first going through a territorial phase.

It was a completely voluntary act by Texas, and an "annexation" only in the broadest sense of the word.

But the US would have overpowered a weak Texas. They had to negotiate.

But the US would have overpowered a weak Texas. They had to negotiate.

This would be the same Texas that just fought for and won independence from Santa Ana's Mexico, and was negotiating their recognition by Mexico as a sovereign nation with the British supporting them?

I'm going to guess that your knowledge of the Annexation of Texas doesn't go beyond reading the words "Annexation of Texas" and the incorrect assumption that "annexation" is involuntary and requires the threat of force.

This would be the same Texas that just fought for and won independence from Santa Ana's Mexico, and was negotiating their recognition by Mexico as a sovereign nation with the British supporting them?

I'm going to guess that your knowledge of the Annexation of Texas doesn't go beyond reading the words "Annexation of Texas" and the incorrect assumption that "annexation" is involuntary and requires the threat of force.

No.

"Overpowered" as in being weak economically/financially, and defensively. The same Texas that was negotiating recognition as a sovereign nation also gave that very same sovereignty up to the US willfully for a reason.

There was no treaty. Texas was admitted via joint resolution of congress, which was/is pretty questionable under international law. It's the same way the u.s. swiped Hawaii. At least Texas had a vote on the subject. Edited by billsintaiwan

There was no treaty. Texas was admitted via joint resolution of congress, which was/is pretty questionable under international law. It's the same way the u.s. swiped Hawaii. At least Texas had a vote on the subject.

Treaty of Annexation, April 12, 1844. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/texan05.asp. A major cause of the Mexican-American war. Negotiated between the US and the independent Republic of Texas, and ratified by the voters of Texas. It was an entirely voluntary entry in to the Union by Texas.

The joint resolution of Congress was to suspend the territorial requirements preceding statehood, which had ****-all to do with international law.