Today I learned.....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IQ tests are overrated; some just do well on them. Was required to take one in school because I was "acting up" and they found I was 6 grade levels above norm with IQ of 164. I was acting up because I was being asked to read "See spot run" when I was reading Isaac Asimov in 2nd grade. Had a scholarship to Cornell but even with full scholarship could not afford the full housing required by all freshmen then.

IQ tests are overrated; some just do well on them. Was required to take one in school because I was "acting up" and they found I was 6 grade levels above norm with IQ of 164. I was acting up because I was being asked to read "See spot run" when I was reading Isaac Asimov in 2nd grade. Had a scholarship to Cornell but even with full scholarship could not afford the full housing required by all freshmen then.

My son got the Prez. Gold Scholarship to Iowa... Actually Bio-Mech Engineering too... LoL, will he fight his "inner artist" like Kutcher? I did notice Iowa does try to make the students more well rounded in the Arts, than just the sciences... Actually, Iowa State's engineering program ranks higher. But you are right about the freshman housing thing. Dorm and the meal plan is so laughably expensive. He's either coming back 250 pounds (he's a rail @ 150 now) or not eating his money's worth. I always liked Iowa City, I know he's going be hitting me up to transfer money to his bank account (I know he will drain it) so he can use his debit card. After the first year, should force him to go full blown Asian Grad Schooler... Bag of rice, rice cooker/microwave, off campus housing. Whip up some stinky fish, rice and hit the hay on the futon from our basement... Better than 9k a semester! 9k in Iowa? Cheap-azz Iowa? Even if he went full local, you can get a mettwurst and some kraut for a buck 50.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

More like the "power of the group" so we have to invent a curse thing too?

That is interesting... People are also fined too, shouldn't the curse be enough? Now more people will be taking stones since this has been aired. :wallbash: I guess they get so many visitors... If everybody took something, a piece... It would be like something out of Shawshank. Amazing, go to the Field Museum and see where everybody touches a statue, through the years the bronze ( I think bronze sculpture) is smoothed over. There is a machine pit door @ my work. There is a flip down bracket that keeps the pit door from closing on you. Every time you "activate" or in engage the lever, it hits and wears a little piece of concrete away from the lintel/ledge (door/window ledge)... If you purposely make it hit. :blush:;):lol: You should see how much it has worn over my 25+ year career... Maybe I will take a picture! :nana: The power of attrition and the group!

Anywho... I Just caught Ken Burns' Civil War on PBS, TIL'd: can you believe it has been over 25 years! Where does the time go?

not something that I learned, but, I did read again that a majority of the "wasabi" out there is really horseradish.

Did you know that?

Yes. Fake "wasabi." Color it green, right?

Just like fake "vanilla." Well, hopefully not colored green. :D

My son got the Prez. Gold Scholarship to Iowa... Actually Bio-Mech Engineering too... LoL, will he fight his "inner artist" like Kutcher? I did notice Iowa does try to make the students more well rounded in the Arts, than just the sciences... Actually, Iowa State's engineering program ranks higher. But you are right about the freshman housing thing. Dorm and the meal plan is so laughably expensive. He's either coming back 250 pounds (he's a rail @ 150 now) or not eating his money's worth. I always liked Iowa City, I know he's going be hitting me up to transfer money to his bank account (I know he will drain it) so he can use his debit card. After the first year, should force him to go full blown Asian Grad Schooler... Bag of rice, rice cooker/microwave, off campus housing. Whip up some stinky fish, rice and hit the hay on the futon from our basement... Better than 9k a semester! 9k in Iowa? Cheap-azz Iowa? Even if he went full local, you can get a mettwurst and some kraut for a buck 50.

Why are STEM students forced to be well rounded, but Liberal Art majors are not? I was forced to take so many humanities courses, language courses, art history, etc, but I don't see any LA students in math and engineering classes.

I expected to see a few artists in my Physics: Light & Color class, but I was sadly disappointed.

Why are STEM students forced to be well rounded, but Liberal Art majors are not? I was forced to take so many humanities courses, language courses, art history, etc, but I don't see any LA students in math and engineering classes.

I expected to see a few artists in my Physics: Light & Color class, but I was sadly disappointed.

You got me! I agree! Solve most of our problems!

TIL - when you need to enlarge an existing door-handle hole due to the old hole being smaller than your new lock or handle, you must first cut a round slug smaller than the existing hole, then shim the slug to be a tight fit. This allows the guiding bit to bite into something (slug) so your hole saw doesn't slip everywhere.

Edited by driddles

TIL that the platinum record designation was created for Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Visa album.

The Los Angeles music climate of the late sixties and seventies was characterized by the heavy sounds and sentiments that reflected the revolutionary attitudes of the generation. Bursting onto that scene was Iron Butterfly, whose sound not only epitomized the hard attitudes of the youth with its heavy drumming and bass lines, but also embraced more delicate aspirations through its intricate guitar and keyboard overlays.

Iron Butterfly was signed to ATCO records (a division of Atlantic Records) and released their first album, aptly titled "Heavy". While the band was on the road with the likes of: The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Traffic, The Who, and Cream, their impressive debut stayed on Billboard's album charts for almost a year!

They followed up with the monumental LP, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", featuring the 17:05 minute side-long track that shook the entire music industry with its phenomenal reception. 'Vida outsold every record in the history of recorded music within the first year of its release and therefore outgrew and outsold the standard of the music industry's "Gold Album" award.

For this achievement, Iron Butterfly was subsequently awarded: The Industry's Very First "Platinum Album"! "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" stayed on the charts for 140 weeks, with 81 weeks in the Top Ten! To date the album has sold in excess of 30 million copies and remains an undisputed classic in the archives of rock with DJ's and audiophiles worldwide!

Within a year of releasing "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", Iron Butterfly had charted a third album, "Ball", - which surpassed "Vida" (still in Billboard's Top 10) turning "Gold", and climbed to No.#1. "Ball" remained on the charts for 44 weeks, followed by two more album releases - "Live", and "Metamorphosis", each charting respectably in the Top 20!

They are playing at Yoshi's a small Sushi Bar/Jazz club in Oakland. I may go just so I can say I've seen them.

Edited by Chef Jim