Today I learned.....

Today I learned that I don't know why some dress shirts come with the bottom button hole cut parallel to the belt rather than perpendicular. I wonder why that is?

https://www.quora.com/Why-on-most-mens-button-down-shirts-is-the-bottom-most-button-slit-horizontal-not-vertical-like-the-rest

"From my research this is a vestige of when dress shirts were affixed to trousers. It prevented the shirt from riding up and kept a nice tidy appearance throughout the day. The reason it is sideways is that the stress applied was vertical (up-and-down) vs on the buttons above the stress applied is horizontal (sideways).

I occasionally make these when clients ask for them, although I have only a handful ask them to be functional in terms of what I describe above. And then it's only practical for black tie formalwear.

Today it is a fashion detail and has no functional value for 99% of men - which is why you see it in contrast stitching as it draws attention to this feature."

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I learned baseball is a really exciting sport to watch...when BET is only showing re-runs and after my dog stops licking my balls.

Mets are on at 8:10 tonight.

TIL: Bobby McGee, made famous by Janis Joplin, was written by Kris Kristofferson.

Kids.......

BTW I was in line for a concert a couple years ago and a couple girls were playing that song. One on guitar while the other sang. They were very good. When they finished a girl in line asked if the my wrote that. LOL!!

Oh and BTW part 2. You'd be surprised how many hit songs were written by someone else.

That is awesome!

TIL that Chef Jim doesn't understand how this thread works.

No he understands. It's a thread to make fun of people that just learned something that most everyone else has known for years.

And TIL that Gug doesn't know my raison d'etre

Edited by Chef Jim

No he understands. It's a thread to make fun of people that just learned something that most everyone else has known for years.

And TIL that Gug doesn't know my raison d'etre

I believe it's spelt "raisin," and they don't agree with my stomach.