Today I learned.....

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think but it actually allows them to squeeze more planes at the gated because their wingspans are less.

Nope. Why do my four gulfstreams have winglets? Performance.

The additional wingspan would actually reduce performance. You read the Airbus A380 in Atlanta article today, me guesses.

Winglets convert the wing tip vortices, created by a flat tip wing, to useful energy.

Btw. You don't see winglets on fighter Jets because they also increase stability. Increased stability equals reduced maneuvarability.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

Nope. Why do my four gulfstreams have winglets? Performance.

The additional wingspan would actually reduce performance. You read the Airbus A380 in Atlanta article today, me guesses.

Winglets convert the wing tip vortices, created by a flat tip wing, to useful energy.

Btw. You don't see winglets on fighter Jets because they also increase stability. Increased stability equals reduced maneuvarability.

Squeezing a few more fully loaded jets at every terminal makes a lot more economical sense than fuel efficiency. :rolleyes:

Squeezing a few more fully loaded jets at every terminal makes a lot more economical sense than fuel efficiency. :rolleyes:

Of coarse that makes sense, but that is not why Jets have winglets. Terminals are built to host aircraft of all sizes (except for the A380, in Atlanta for example). Why put winglets on a gulfstream? Greater DISTANCE. Airlines do it for fuel economy, nothing else.

Today I learned that CBF didn't watch Narcos.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

I am in the process of getting all new kitchen appliances. When it came to the gas range, it has "Sabbath Mode." I had to Google that one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode

Today I learned that sickle cell does not affect only black people. Seriously, I thought it did. I learned that greeks, Italians and other Mediterranean people are considered high risk too.

On that subject... You wonder why things like sickle cell ever came to be? I never knew that it aids in defending the person against malaria.

TIL that although Porsche is owened by Volkswagon Group, Volkswagon Group is owned by Porsche Holdings

CBF

Didn't Ferdinand Porsche invent the VW Beetle? How can the VW-Porsche connection be a new revelation?

As I stick my tongue out @ you... ;-)

TIL the Wachowski brothers who both directed the Matrix, have BOTH transitioned to female

CBF

Okay... Cut you slack there... WOW, YIKES!

:-P