RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Check this out, and then tell me again this kid couldn't use a little more in the education department... Especially with regards to the media...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15426426/buffalo-bills-draft-pick-shaq-lawson-denies-needs-shoulder-surgery

Our training and medical staff could use a little refresher course as well... Although they've figured out how to set things on the "positive spin" cycle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662965/article/bills-rookie-shaq-lawson-to-undergo-shoulder-surgery

it really looks like Rodak came to his own conclusions and made that the head line for his article.

Still... after posting many links, it seems like you base your opinion based on the headline and don't actually read the articles.

You call it "positive spin cycle". I think you've arrived at a conclusion and won't come off it... just like Rodak.

Most of us read the articles and see it for what it is. And I haven't seen any lies or incompetence. I do see an impatient snap judgment type culture that's developed; that "reporters" take advantage of.... because many people don't make it much past the headline... or belive that a short article can provide real in site on business that is inherently secretive.

Edited by JaxBills

it really looks like Rodak came to his own conclusions and made that the head line for his article.

Still... after posting many links, it seems like you base your opinion based on the headline and don't actually read the articles.

You call it "positive spin cycle". I think you've arrived at a conclusion and won't come off it... just like Rodak.

Most of us read the articles and see it for what it is. And I haven't seen any lies or incompetence. I do see an impatient snap judgment type culture that's developed that "reporters" take advantage of.... because many people don't make much past the headline... or belive that a short article can provide real in site on business that is inherently secretive.

What conclusion did Rodak Draw, Jax?... SIX teams flagged this injury.... The kid was clearly pretending that it's no big deal... "If i didn't have surgery my freshman year, why would I need surgery now?"

Well Shaq, -It's been two years.... i'm no doctor, but stuff kinda gets worse if you just ignore it... How could this kid say that there was "no truth" to the report???

As a fan, i don't trust ANYONE involved at this point. -Not Shaq, not Whaley, not Rex, and certainly not the medical and training staff!

I wonder how T-pegs feels about being shined-on by everyone he absolutely needs to trust on these issues? -This does not bode well for the season OR the future of this FO... Very suspicious IMO.

Edited by #34fan

What conclusion did Rodak Draw, Jax?... SIX teams flagged this injury.... The kid was clearly pretending that it's no big deal... "If i didn't have surgery my freshman year, why would I need surgery now?"

Well Shaq, -It's been two years.... i'm no doctor, but stuff kinda gets worse if you just ignore it... How could this kid say that there was "no truth" to the report???

As a fan, i don't trust ANYONE involved at this point. -Not Shaq, not Whaley, not Rex, and certainly not the medical and training staff!

I wonder how T-pegs feels about being shined-on by everyone he absolutely needs to trust on these issues? -This does not bode well for the season OR the future of this FO... Very suspicious IMO.

the title of the article IS a conclusion. One never supported in the article itself. Unless you read what you want into it. Rodak does this often and is not respected by most readers. If you didn't link it, I wouldn't have read it. Thanks for reminding me why I don't go to ESPN. Everyone knew he had an issue. Most folks believed he could wait till the end of the season to have surgery. After an issue that he could have played through, they ELECTED to have surgery now. I'm not sure why you feel lied to, or any incompetence. I'll put it like this... most of us see it going down how we expected...and how we've been informed about it. If you feel lied to, that's your own perception. As far as taking him at 19 knowing all of this, well,I was psyched. We got really lucky he slipped. And the team seems to feel they got a player they shouldn't have. Sooooo....

If you disagree with the fact that we got a talented player, ok. I'm not going to cross that bridge.

Edited by JaxBills

Everyone knew he had an issue. Most folks believed he could wait till the end of the season to have surgery.

Really? Show me a single pre draft report or mock draft that mentioned Shaq Lawson's shoulder problem, especially that he would need surgery sooner or later. I paid fairly close attention and I read zero mention of Shaq's shoulder until Shefter's post-draft tweet. It appears not to have been widely known. Edited by mannc

Really? Show me a single pre draft report or mock draft that mentioned Shaq Lawson's shoulder problem, especially that he would need surgery sooner or later. I paid fairly close attention and I read zero mention of Shaq's shoulder until Shefter's post-draft tweet. It appears not to have been widely known.

If we were talking about Jan, Feb or march.. OK. But I'm not going back some unspecified amount of time. When he was drafted, this was no secret. Im saying the bills knew what they were getting into in april.

Nothing the Bills have said strikes me as a lie. We were talking about what the bills have said about the situation...or do you believe the Bills took him without knowing....?

Edited by JaxBills

only if you read what you want into it. Everyone knew he had an issue. Most folks believed he could wait till the end of the season to have surgery. After an issue that he could have played through, they ELECTED to have surgery now. I'm not sure why you feel lied to, or any incompetence. I'll put it like this... most of us see it going down how we expected...and how we've been informed about it. If you feel lied to, that's your own perception. As far as taking him at 19 knowing all of this, well,I was psyched. We got really lucky he slipped. And the team seems to feel they got a player they shouldn't have. Sooooo....

If you disagree with the fact that we got a talented player, ok. I'm not going to cross that bridge.

I think we grabbed a tremendously gifted player... Albeit an injured one... I think a few teams may have stayed away because of that injury history... I'm FINE with the pick, but I'd still like to know the truth about the prognosis.....

Jax, you say he could have "played through" this injury at the NFL level, but how can you be sure? -The Bills announced he had a "occurence" which is technichally a re-currence of the condition in early May. See here...

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/16/buffalo-bills-shaq-lawson-shoulder-surgery

Here's something else you may want to look at.

http://wivb.com/2016/05/16/shaq-lawson-to-undergo-shoulder-surgery/

If Rex turns this situation into a day 1 contributing starter, (in whatever scheme) I'll certainly take my hat off to him.

Edited by #34fan

@ 34fan

In the actual article it's self, it supports what I have said. In fact, the second article specifically mentions my point about being able to play with it.

Also, not disputing they took an injured player, but it sure seems the team had a plan with contingencies.

Edited by JaxBills

Is there anything new on Lawson's shoulder? Is he rehabbing yet?

Nothing except for the giant chip he's developed since everyone started questioning the Bills for drafting him.

GO BILLS!!!

@ 34fan

In the actual article it's self, it supports what I have said. In fact, the second article specifically mentions my point about being able to play with it.

Also, not disputing they took an injured player, but it sure seems the team had a plan with contingencies.

So, This ROOKIE can play through an entire NFL season on a bad shoulder, but couldn't make it through the offseason without a recurrence???

HOG-WASH.

Also, if by "contingencies" you mean what Kirk Cousins was to RGIII, who's our "Kirk Cousins" in this scenario?

If we were talking about Jan, Feb or march.. OK. But I'm not going back some unspecified amount of time. When he was drafted, this was no secret. Im saying the bills knew what they were getting into in april.

Nothing the Bills have said strikes me as a lie. We were talking about what the bills have said about the situation...or do you believe the Bills took him without knowing....?

No, you said "everyone" knew before the draft, and that clearly wasn't the case; again, I challenge you to produce a single pre-draft report mentioning Shaq's shoulder. It was clearly kept quiet, unlike Jack's knee. Do I believe the Bills took him without knowing the extent of the injury? They probably knew something, but I really don't know if they were incompetent or just dishonest in the statements they made afterward. Probably a bit of both. Edited by mannc

So, This ROOKIE can play through an entire NFL season on a bad shoulder, but couldn't make it through the offseason without a recurrence???

HOG-WASH.

Also, if by "contingencies" you mean what Kirk Cousins was to RGIII, who's our "Kirk Cousins" in this scenario?

first things first. I'm not saying any of the sort. What I am saying is that the staff knew about this. They wanted the player. They made an informed calculated risk.

They also they had a player ALREADY on the roster in Manny Lawson that they like.

No, you said "everyone" knew before the draft, and that clearly wasn't the case; again, I challenge you to produce a single pre-draft report mentioning Shaq's shoulder. It was clearly kept quiet, unlike Jack's knee. Do I believe the Bills took him without knowing the extent of the injury? They probably knew something, but I really don't know if they were incompetent or just dishonest in the statements they made afterward. Probably a bit of both.

no, you're right. He slipped to us for no reason. You guys keep acting like the Bills drafted him without knowing about his shoulder. Stop getting hung up on when it was reported. It's not even a point I'm making.

I'm done, ya'll have a nice evening. My daughter is taking me on a date tonight!

Edited by JaxBills

[quote name="JaxBills" post="3970673" timestamp="1466375029

not, you're right. He slipped to us for no reason.

He didn't "slip" to us. That's a myth. 19 is about where most of the mock drafts I saw had him going--before the injury became public knowledge. And yes, some teams appparently knew about Shaq's shoulder injury, and flagged him as a result, but that does not prove he would not have otherwise been available at 19. Edited by mannc

He didn't "slip" to us. That's a myth. 19 is about where most of the mock drafts I saw had him going--before the injury became public knowledge.

now that I genuinely won't argue. I figured he was going a handful of picks before... but not enough to really have an argument there.

With that type of surgery, you begin rehabbing the day of your surgery -- at least when I had my procedure done.

I had a partial labrum tear that required one anchor. My arm was immobilized for almost 2 months. Rehab started after that when the brace came off. What procedure did you have done?

first things first. I'm not saying any of the sort. What I am saying is that the staff knew about this. They wanted the player. They made an informed calculated risk.

They also they had a player ALREADY on the roster in Manny Lawson that they like.

Jax, If that's anywhere near true, it's one of the WORST contingency plans ever devised... I mean c'mon, why draft first rounders, when there's weathered veterans available? :lol: Seriously, It's not like the team hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years.

Here's the thing... if those six teams felt there was a CHANCE that the goods were damaged, did Lawson do himself, and his new team a disservice by saying unequivocally that they were not? -Was it ignorance or deliberate disinformation?

Did the team do ITSELF a disservice by underestimating the extent of the injury?... Was due diligence cast aside at any point becasue someone felt they NEEDED to make a sexy pick @ 19? -If so,who's decision was that? and what other information may have been cast aside so this kid could get drafted?

Let me be clear... I think Shaq Lawson has the highest of ceilings.... Still, what good is a ceiling in a house of cards?

I'd just like a little more straight talk from the grownups in this organization.

I think we grabbed a tremendously gifted player... Albeit an injured one... I think a few teams may have stayed away because of that injury history... I'm FINE with the pick, but I'd still like to know the truth about the prognosis.....

Jax, you say he could have "played through" this injury at the NFL level, but how can you be sure? -The Bills announced he had a "occurence" which is technichally a re-currence of the condition in early May. See here...

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/16/buffalo-bills-shaq-lawson-shoulder-surgery

Here's something else you may want to look at.

http://wivb.com/2016/05/16/shaq-lawson-to-undergo-shoulder-surgery/

If Rex turns this situation into a day 1 contributing starter, (in whatever scheme) I'll certainly take my hat off to him.

I guess I am just not understanding your end game point of view on this and you are most certainly entitiled to any opinion you have.

I try not to delve to deep....my needs are simple.

- Is Shaq Lawsn a talent player......yes

- Was it a position of need.....yes

- Did we have a vet player that can hold it down till he gets back....yes

I would even present that there is a good chance Shaq comes back an even BETTER player because now he will be healthy......trust me....every player out there that is playing with something on them (i.e. a brace) is aware of that item.....and it affects their play in some kind of way. When Shaq gets back does the fact that his shoulder is right make him an even more EXPLOSIVE player.....I think that is entirely possible.

If team select a QB in the 1st round and that player doesnt play until later in the season or not at all in the first season nobody bats an eye.....because it is more about year one.

For my own opinion......I would have loved to see Shaq trot out there on opening day.....but its about the player and his longevity with the team when your draft in the 1st.....not the short term.

I had a partial labrum tear that required one anchor. My arm was immobilized for almost 2 months. Rehab started after that when the brace came off. What procedure did you have done?

I had a full beckhart reconstruction of my right shoulder to repair a fully torn labrum and a partially torn bicep. The only way to get full range of motion back (which I actually didn't get but this was also in the late 90s and not done laparoscopically) was to begin stretching and strengthening exercises almost right away. Literally just the nurse and doctor moving my arm for me for a few minutes every few hours until. When I was released from the hospital I had to do arm raises and motion exercises five times a day (while keeping it immobilized for the rest of the time). I was in a sling for about 8 weeks, had to sleep in a sling for another 12 or something close to that number.

• 1 month later...

@SalSports

. @LRiddickESPN just said on @WGR550 he's hearing Shaq Lawson could miss at least 1/2 season "and maybe the whole season." However....

....league source familiar w/Lawson’s rehab told me they are clearly not expecting him to miss that much time. More: http://www.wgr550.com/How-much-time-will-Shaq-Lawson-miss-/22818015