Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

So per that link, Fitz's agent told the Jets he's willing to play on a 1 year for $12M, and the Jets won't take it?

They're nuts.

Oh wait, they're broke

I've been seconding this notion for a long time and people keep coming up with stupidity in terms of logical ways that the Jets can magically create cap space from the cap hell that they're actually in right now. Looking at the collective contracts on their roster, the most I can come up with to pay him would be around $8 million. There is no magic bullet answer to paying this average journeyman a bunch of money without hurting the team long term.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too detailed of an analysis. Now I've REALLY heard everything.

Maybe not for you but for plenty of people you don't have to go into statistical minutia to recognize mediocrity. If you can't handle that simple concept then that is your problem.

Maybe not for you but for plenty of people you don't have to go into statistical minutia to recognize mediocrity. If you can't handle that simple concept then that is your problem.

I'm afraid it's clear that no matter how clearly someone makes their points, even with numbers backing them up, your own tired version of "reality" is what you'll trot out again and again.

I'm afraid it's clear that no matter how clearly someone makes their points, even with numbers backing them up, your own tired version of "reality" is what you'll trot out again and again.

Beerball was right about you!

the only thing i don't understand about this argument is how anyone here cares enough about it to stretch it to 43 pages???

The state of a division rival is far more important than many of the things that are discussed here.

Jets are a pretty talented team.......the Bills barely beat them both times they played.......could have easily gone the other way both times.

Fitz didn't play his best against the Bills but otherwise he was 10-4 against the rest of the league so they are pretty good with him in there.

Without him........they are not. :devil:

The state of a division rival is far more important than many of the things that are discussed here.

Jets are a pretty talented team.......the Bills barely beat them both times they played.......could have easily gone the other way both times.

Fitz didn't play his best against the Bills but otherwise he was 10-4 against the rest of the league so they are pretty good with him in there.

It's tough to determine what is best.

Half of the posters say Fitz sucks and will never beat Rex or lead a team to the playoffs. That would lead one to conclude that it would be good for the Bills if he re-signed. The other half think that he is better than their other QBs, who have no shot of being good even though two of the three have never played a down yet. That would lead one to conclude that if would be better for the Bills if the Jets let Fitz "get away".

In either case, it appears that the Jets have no chance according to nearly everyone. So what's to worry about?

Edited by vincec

Thankfully their QB choked with the game on the line both times.

Platitudes, nothing but platitudes. You nittiest picker you.

Nah, just not a fan of "but here's my opinion that we should all treat as the Gospel" as a defense.

Hopeful spent a lot of time on that post making his argument, and to get "yeah but Fitz will never make the postseason #factsonly" is a waste of all our time. Especially when you KNOW every single one of those posters would've bet their life that Fitz never sniffs 10 wins and 5 losses a year ago. You'd think that when a certainty like that turns out not to be, you wouldn't double down. At least, I wouldn't.

I think it's the party line because it makes the most sense. Hearing your GM say the actual words on a taped phone call is different from hearing your front office talk about drafting a QB for the future.

In case you've forgotten, here's what Nix said:

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling—he's going to have to do something, or we'll have to."

More Nix on Fitzpatrick: "We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

Fitz saying the call wasn't a factor is just Fitz being a stand-up guy.

We might have to agree to disagree, eball. I understand your viewpoint, but I think the call supports the hypothesis that it was a business decision for Fitz to move on from the Bills. I think Nix's phone call telegraphs that the Bills were (like the Jets are) taking a hard line with the contract they offered Fitz. The Bills asserted they offered Fitz 4 years, $3M a year. Let's parse that out in terms of the above:

"Fighting for probably a backup job" = no or little guaranteed money. Why would you offer a guy "fighting for the backup job" any guaranteed money?

Who was he fighting with? Likely TJax. = likely offered similar$$, $1.75M that year with incentives.

Keep in mind it wasn't just talk of a QB of the future. Fitz had already heard Marrone say that there would be an "open competition" between himself and TJax to start, then Nix started talking about drafting a guy in the 1st round. The league standard is 1st round draftees are expected to start, not sit. I don't really think there was anything that different in the phone call, except that if I hear "fighting for a backup job" and see no guaranteed money, I start thinking that it's not in my financial best interest to stay through training camp and maybe get cut and have trouble finding a job just before the season, vs. going to the owner's meeting and shopping around. And he did get guaranteed $$ from the Titans, and (taking the Bills at their word) slightly more money or (guessing his first year offer was TJax like) about 2x as much.

I don't think Fitz is the guy who would have let bruised pride stand in the way of a very good chance to start and a contract he saw as fair.

The week prior to the finale he threw a game-winning TD pass to beat the Patriots in OT.

Fitz has his issues but, you know, perspective. :thumbsup:

Fitz also had torn ligaments in the thumb on his throwing hand for the Thursday night game. He had surgery the following morning, he injured it a week or two prior in the Oakland game. A little more perspective.