Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a league that is starved for good QB's Fitz a free agent has been made a $24 mil offer for 3 years and no other team has shown a willingness to give him more. The league as a whole has made its assessment and the Jets appear to value him the most. You're worth whatever someone will pay you. 31 teams apparently feel the Jets offer is a really good one for this player.

Edited by keepthefaith

In a league that is starved for good QB's Fitz a free agent has been made a $24 mil offer for 3 years and no other team has shown a willingness to give him more. The league as a whole has made its assessment and the Jets appear to value him the most. You're worth whatever someone will pay you. 31 teams apparently feel the Jets offer is a really good one for this player.

...or only one other team (Denver) is a fit. There aren't 32 teams competing for him (or any QB). Edited by Kirby Jackson

...or only one other team (Denver) is a fit. There aren't 32 teams competing for him (or any QB).

He is not a fit for most teams because of his limited skill set. Denver is in a precarious position with their qb situation. Yet, they don't seem to have an interest in him. If they did I'm confident their contract offer would be less than the Jet offer.

The reality of the situation is that no team is interested in Fitz and the team he is currently associated with is not afraid of losing him if they can't get him at their established price.

He is not a fit for most teams because of his limited skill set. Denver is in a precarious position with their qb situation. Yet, they don't seem to have an interest in him. If they did I'm confident their contract offer would be less than the Jet offer.

The reality of the situation is that no team is interested in Fitz and the team he is currently associated with is not afraid of losing him if they can't get him at their established price.

Let's say the Jets and Fitz don't come to an agreement..............and his successor at QB in NY has a lesser season and subsequently the Jets win 2-4 less games........will you still be making the argument that Fitz wasn't worth a one year, $12M contract?

It doesn't matter how we value him. What counts is how the Jets value him. They have demonstrated their assessment of him through their contract offer. What more needs to be said?

People act as if the Jets haven't thought this issue through. Nothing is further from the truth. For all organizations the issue of who your starting qb is going to be and the salary that he is going to draw are priority decisions. The Jets have made a judgment and so far they are adhering to it. Do you really believe that if they thought that Fitz was a legitimate starting qb that they would be so rigid in their stance?

Fitz is an adequate backup qb at best. The offer the Jets have made is more than fair. Let's get real here---even Nix told him to take a hike when he wasn't willing to take a pay cut. What does that tell you about his value????>

I do understand that what the Jest value him at is Now the only thing that matters , besides Fits self worth obviously.

So The jets think they can roll with Geno ?

I mean if this is the offer and its not close, Jets a are clearly saying to the world we are going to start Geno Smith. Is there anyone here who can question that ?

Edited by 3rdand12

They won a Super Bowl with far worse play than what Fitz provided. They paid $19M for that inferior level of play.

I do understand that what the Jest value him at is Now the only thing that matters , besides Fits self worth obviously.

So The jets think they can roll with Geno ?

I mean if this is the offer and its not close, Jets a are clearly saying to the world we are going to start Geno Smith. Is there anyone here who can question that ?

ps i am sure they thought it out. it was a gamble. both are losing right now

Let's say the Jets and Fitz don't come to an agreement..............and his successor at QB in NY has a lesser season and subsequently the Jets win 2-4 less games........will you still be making the argument that Fitz wasn't worth a one year, $12M contract?

Absolutely! Fitz is not a $12M qb. What's going on in New York is simply the business model of the sport playing out, as it does for every team. No team is immune from making tough contract decisions (this is not a tough contract decision) that result in losing good players. Smart organizations prepare for the inevitability of losing good players and finding adequate replacements.

Absolutely! Fitz is not a $12M qb. What's going on in New York is simply the business model of the sport playing out, as it does for every team. No team is immune from making tough contract decisions (this is not a tough contract decision) that result in losing good players. Smart organizations prepare for the inevitability of losing good players and finding adequate replacements.

at QB. should prove easy enough?

They won a Super Bowl with far worse play than what Fitz provided. They paid $19M for that inferior level of play.

Circumstances differ for every team and change every year. When Osweiller had an offer in the $18-19M per year range Elway told him Adios Amigo. I agree with you that Denver paid a lot of money to Peyton for inferior play. But their circumstance dictated to the organization that it was worth riding that lame horse for this one last time. How can anyone say they used bad judgment when the outcome was winning a SB? What the Broncos weren't going to do is to continue paying a premium price for an inferior product.

at QB. should prove easy enough?

Most often the right decision isn't the easy decision. You make a judgment and then you act on it. From all appearances the Jets don't seem to be wavering on their judgment. I understand their stance and agree with it.

Circumstances differ for every team and change every year. When Osweiller had an offer in the $18-19M per year range Elway told him Adios Amigo. I agree with you that Denver paid a lot of money to Peyton for inferior play. But their circumstance dictated to the organization that it was worth riding that lame horse for this one last time. How can anyone say they used bad judgment when the outcome was winning a SB? What the Broncos weren't going to do is to continue paying a premium price for an inferior product.

The reason that the Broncos aren't in on Fitz is because they think that Sanchez can provide the level of play that Manning did for $4.5M (or whatever it is). They knew Fitz was $12M.

You are on an island though in not thinking that Fitz is a $12M QB. That would put him as the 23rd highest paid QB with 6 other starting QBs on rookie deals. $12M isn't "the middle of the league" it's near the bottom. He was 15th in yards, tied for 10th in TDs and won 10 games. $12M would put him at 29th or so.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Most often the right decision isn't the easy decision. You make a judgment and then you act on it. From all appearances the Jets don't seem to be wavering on their judgment. I understand their stance and agree with it.

I can see your thinking.

But what do you think of Geno for the season?

If the Jets feel he can manage the team, then fine.

Its not about value of Fitzy in the real world as it is Fitzy to the jets. in this you are 100% correct sir

This just illustrates my point that you are being irrational about the value of winning.

Their circumstance dictates that it is worth riding Fitz for one last time :thumbsup:

But I guess it's only worth $12M for a QB for one season if the team wins the SB. :lol:

In a business where losing leads to huge financial loss.......fired coaches.....dead money from personnel change necessitated by regime change.....then overpaying for replacements...........well, paying $12M for one year for a QB who has shown he can produce and get you 10 wins.....a solid, winning season......with your existing personnel..........is at the very LEAST a reasonable financial decision.

Teams choke, teams win unless you dislike player.

Jets defense sucked in that game. They couldn't get us off the field to save their hide. Decker and Marshall dropped several passes.

It was a team choke.

I don't think Fitz is the guy who would have let bruised pride stand in the way of a very good chance to start and a contract he saw as fair.

Fitz had a deal with the Bills. Then they wanted him to take less money. He said screw you and left. Good for Fitz.

My guess is that is Fitz and the Jets will sign a deal when camp gets closer or at the beginning of it. 0 chance they don't get this done.

They remind me of the crazy married couple. They need each other and no one else wants em.

Edited by Commonsense