Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

there are at least 4 teams i can think of that fitz would start on in 2016 and upgrade them. browns, jets, jaguars, bucs.

they'd not have to install him as a starter. he'd not make it due to logic - you'd go with youth if you can.

but he'd be an upgrade to both teams qb position should he start.

What is going on here ? Famous Jameis and Bortles getting the hook for fitzpicksix? Terrific.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets games are more fun with Fitz there

No question. :lol:

And Fitz is the devil you know.

They could get much worse play........but they could also get much better play if the position is open and someone better is acquired or steps up.

It kind of reminds me of when they had Chad Pennington.

He could beat you but you knew they'd never go far with him so there was comfort in knowing that he was doing well enough to keep someone better from getting the job.

Now if only Moe Lewis hadn't put that hit on Bledsoe.

I have a feeling the Jets and Fitz will get something done. He was good enough last year and they came within a game of making the playoffs with a rookie HC. Keep in mind Fitz got knocked out of their Oakland game in the first or 2nd drive and they imploded on the road. He went on to have a nice statistical year even with the thumb injury/surgery. I don't think anyone besides a resident poster at TBD has any confusion on what Fitz is or isn't. The reality is he is leaps and bounds above HackAPettyGeno and with that defense and Bowles they won't want to waste a season.

No question. :lol:

And Fitz is the devil you know.

They could get much worse play........but they could also get much better play if the position is open and someone better is acquired or steps up.

It kind of reminds me of when they had Chad Pennington.

He could beat you but you knew they'd never go far with him so there was comfort in knowing that he was doing well enough to keep someone better from getting the job.

Now if only Moe Lewis hadn't put that hit on Bledsoe.

Chad Pennington > bills. I wouldn't naysay him in your position

Pennington > Fitz by miles. He was a winner, injuries cost him.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Name one. They have already rejected several. There are no others who have demonstrated what Fitz did last year. Why do you insist on asking who else wants him when I have already told you that the team where he holds the most value is the Jets---because of their horrible options. I'll ask you--if the Jets QB other than Fitz is so solid, why would they look elsewhere? And why, if they are looking, haven't simply signed one of those "readily attainable" QBs you imagine exist?

There is no doubt that Fitz has more value with the Jets than with any other team. That is more of a commentary on his nonexistent value on the market. You keep insisting that the Jets have to take a more generous stance on Fitz because they have no other options. So far they haven't budged off of their position as to how they value him as measured by their paltry contract offer.

Fitz is a mediocre qb that shouldn't be starting on any team with serious aspirations. You portray the Jets' situation as if it is dire. They are not acting as if it is. Who will replace Fitz if he leaves the franchise? I don't know. But mediocre qbs are not difficult to find. Just search through the nearest garbage heap and you will find an abundance of comparable garbage to work with.

With what team? Options are pretty much dried up.

I was thinking Denver might wind up a logical choice. They haven't seemed interested in Fitzy at all. Just wondering if he might not look a whole lot better to them after seeing the Sanchize for a few games. A lesser contract with a much better team than the Jest might interest Fitzy more as a shot at a ring may have real value to him. Lynch isn't anywhere close to getting on the field and their other option right now is Siemian. Dallas might be another option after the inevitable Romo Injury. I can't see Prescott being ready and they have nothing else. He will have options if he's patient. And why wouldn't he be patient at this point? The Jest can't even pay him what they're offering (much less what he wants) without roster moves and it's not like they have any other options either.

Cool viewpoint, care to name a few available?

I'm joking around. I haven't evaluated the pool of has-been and never-will-be QBs available on the open market.

Fitz is probably the best option, but that still doesn't mean he's a good one.

Fitz is a mediocre qb that shouldn't be starting on any team with serious aspirations. You portray the Jets' situation as if it is dire. They are not acting as if it is. Who will replace Fitz if he leaves the franchise? I don't know. But mediocre qbs are not difficult to find. Just search through the nearest garbage heap and you will find an abundance of comparable garbage to work with.

John, this is becoming increasingly lame on your part. You reiterate that mediocre QB are readily available, but when asked to name available QB options for the Jets, you repeatedly decline. Now you've progressed to name calling Fitz, saying "just search through the nearest garbage heap...abundance of comparable garbage".

Please Stand and Deliver - if there is an abundance of "comparable garbage" to Fitz available for the Jets, you surely should be able to ID a few. Let's say 3. Name 3 QB comparable to Fitz who are readily available to the Jets. I'll even settle for 2.

Otherwise, please acknowledge that it's simply not true that mediocre NFL QB comparable to Fitz are readily available, because if it's true and they are, you really ought to be able to find a couple to name.

Name one. They have already rejected several. There are no others who have demonstrated what Fitz did last year. Why do you insist on asking who else wants him when I have already told you that the team where he holds the most value is the Jets---because of their horrible options. I'll ask you--if the Jets QB other than Fitz is so solid, why would they look elsewhere? And why, if they are looking, haven't simply signed one of those "readily attainable" QBs you imagine exist?

I would say Josh McCown. Cleveland just signed RGIII to an appreciable contract and drafted the rookie. McCown is the definition of mediocrity but in 8 games last year had a completion % just under 64% and a QBR of 93. Which were statistically better than Fitzpatrick's 16 games. He's scheduled to count 5 million against the cap this year and odds are he will be traded or cut.

I would say Josh McCown. Cleveland just signed RGIII to an appreciable contract and drafted the rookie. McCown is the definition of mediocrity but in 8 games last year had a completion % just under 64% and a QBR of 93. Which were statistically better than Fitzpatrick's 16 games. He's scheduled to count 5 million against the cap this year and odds are he will be traded or cut.

That's an interesting suggestion. Cleveland has $1M in guaranteed salary and $1.3M in pro-rated signing bonus as "dead money" so they only get about half that $5M back if they cut McCown. And with RGIII's injury history, I would think they would not want to rely on Kessler should he go down. I see them wanting RGIII to compete with McCown so that one way or another they have something approaching a real NFL QB.

Still, if they could acquire McCown, you're right that he's probably in the same tier as Fitz for talent and experience. So that's one, with an asterisk because at present he's under contract and would require a trade (but a trade for his current salary would slot nicely into the Jets meagre QB budget).

I was thinking Denver might wind up a logical choice. They haven't seemed interested in Fitzy at all.

Reportedly there was interest/conversations but they balked at Fitzy's asking price.

What is going on here ? Famous Jameis and Bortles getting the hook for fitzpicksix? Terrific.

What is going on here is indeed a good question. Jameis and Bortles aren't likely going anywhere, but possibly Bartles and Jaymes are involved. If NC cow farmers drink that stuff.

Edited by Hopeful

Fitzpatrick should sit around and wait for a QB to go down in pre-season, camp, or even early in the season.

Happens every year. Someone will be desperate. Maybe even a good team.

That said, I can't imagine the Jets not finding a way to sign him. I hope they do, because it makes those games a lot more fun and interesting, and Fitz usually saves one of his best games for NE* which also helps us.

John, this is becoming increasingly lame on your part. You reiterate that mediocre QB are readily available, but when asked to name available QB options for the Jets, you repeatedly decline. Now you've progressed to name calling Fitz, saying "just search through the nearest garbage heap...abundance of comparable garbage".

Please Stand and Deliver - if there is an abundance of "comparable garbage" to Fitz available for the Jets, you surely should be able to ID a few. Let's say 3. Name 3 QB comparable to Fitz who are readily available to the Jets. I'll even settle for 2.

Otherwise, please acknowledge that it's simply not true that mediocre NFL QB comparable to Fitz are readily available, because if it's true and they are, you really ought to be able to find a couple to name.

If need be the Jets could go with Geno Smith. Or if they want to go on the garbage market they can pursue at very cheap prices qbs such as: Mike Glennon, Matt Moore, Zack Mettenberg, Chad Henne, Shaun Hill, Matt McCloin, Brandon Weeden, Dan Orlovsky, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Matt Hasseleck, Derek Anderson, Matt Schaub, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones. Within this pile of mostly garbage there are plenty of candidates who are in the Fitz caliber of talent.

The Jets have set down the marker to Fitz. I'm sure the organization is willing to insignificantly up its offer. But as I have repeatedly said in my many posts on this topic they are not unafraid to move on from him if they can't get him at the price they have in mind. It is still very early in the offseason. If need be they will seek an in-house or outside the organization option to replace the qb that started for them last year. You may think their strategy is unwise but the organization apparently believes it makes sense for them.

That's an interesting suggestion. Cleveland has $1M in guaranteed salary and $1.3M in pro-rated signing bonus as "dead money" so they only get about half that $5M back if they cut McCown. And with RGIII's injury history, I would think they would not want to rely on Kessler should he go down. I see them wanting RGIII to compete with McCown so that one way or another they have something approaching a real NFL QB.

Still, if they could acquire McCown, you're right that he's probably in the same tier as Fitz for talent and experience. So that's one, with an asterisk because at present he's under contract and would require a trade (but a trade for his current salary would slot nicely into the Jets meagre QB budget).

Yep, plus it's Cleveland. You can pretty much count on them to take the wrong path. Maybe I'm reading the contract details wrong, but if they trade instead of cut McCown they are only on the hook for 1.3 instead of 2.3 dead money.

It was a joke, Son, a play on words....groomed....TT...have you seen how he dresses? and have you seen defenses flapping around like chickens trying to capture him?

Seriously, though, while TT was clearly drafted to be a backup, the net effect of those 4 years was that he got to sit and learn and be coached...in other words, he WAS groomed.

That is probably what the Iggles are hoping for with Chase Daniel.

Ahhhh! True indeed. "Can't touch this...":

If need be the Jets could go with Geno Smith. Or if they want to go on the garbage market they can pursue at very cheap prices qbs such as: Mike Glennon, Matt Moore, Zack Mettenberg, Chad Henne, Shaun Hill, Matt McCloin, Brandon Weeden, Dan Orlovsky, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Colt McCoy, Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Matt Hasseleck, Derek Anderson, Matt Schaub, Bruce Gradkowski, Landry Jones. Within this pile of mostly garbage there are plenty of candidates who are in the Fitz caliber of talent.

The Jets have set down the marker to Fitz. I'm sure the organization is willing to insignificantly up its offer. But as I have repeatedly said in my many posts on this topic they are not unafraid to move on from him if they can't get him at the price they have in mind. It is still very early in the offseason. If need be they will seek an in-house or outside the organization option to replace the qb that started for them last year. You may think their strategy is unwise but the organization apparently believes it makes sense for them.

Look, as I originally said, what QB has any chance to get them to 10 wins on that team other than Fitz? Pretty much none of those you finally dug up to answer a simple question.

If your goal as GM is to just lose a bunch of games until one of those guys you have blown draft picks on becomes your franchise QB, then you have a lot of explaining to do to your season ticket holders/PSL owners.

How much is Fitz going to settle for? From any team? guesstimates?

Jets offered him what, 7-8 million? I have no idea the terms of course.

Broncos had about 7 left to spend.

I read he wished for 15 mil.

No one has that do they?

Or no one will after OTAs begin.

How much is Fitz going to settle for? From any team? guesstimates?

Jets offered him what, 7-8 million? I have no idea the terms of course.

Broncos had about 7 left to spend.

I read he wished for 15 mil.

No one has that do they?

Or no one will after OTAs begin.

No idea what the Jets or anyone else have left but I'm still guessing the Jets and Fitz meet in the middle on some 2 year deal. About 21-22 million total and half of it guaranteed.