I hope everyone realizes...

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

That said do you really want the Bills to pass on a player who can realistically contribute to pick what is essentially a lottery ticket? I don't.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That of all the QBs discussed in this draft we'll be lucky if one capable starter emerges. That's just the reality. Every year we talk like there are 4-5-6 viable options and most of these guys are selling cars within 2 years.

That said do you really want the Bills to pass on a player who can realistically contribute to pick what is essentially a lottery ticket? I don't.

Depends on where. First round? No. Second round? Not likely. Third round? Likely. Fourth round +? Why the heck not?

Only if we can trade down and get some more picks.

You almost have to take a chance on a QB. The team has nobody who you'd consider in the developmental phase. What are the chances that that WR you take in the 3rd will pan out? What about that DT you take in the 4th? How about that OG in the 5th?

But what if Tyrod gets mad and leaves us at the altar? We need a lottery ticket, IMO.

Although, picking a QB may make TT even more mad and he may really want us to leave us after that. Tough pickle.

Edited by FireChan

You almost have to take a chance on a QB. The team has nobody who you'd consider in the developmental phase. What are the chances that that WR you take in the 3rd will pan out? What about that DT you take in the 4th? How about that OG in the 5th?

Well Kyle Williams was a 5th rounder. I will say your odds of hitting on a QB improve greatly if you are willing to groom them for a few years.

But I'm listening to WGR yesterday talking about drafting a QB in the 2nd in case Taylor doesn't pan out. And all I can think of is the irony of people who aren't sold on Taylor after a pro bowl season being convinced a 2nd round rookie is going to be perfectly capable replacement. It boggles my mind.

Just because Buffalo has been risk averse taking QB's for the better part of 20 years doesn't mean it's right. Of course there's risk a player won't work out. EJ was a bust and everyone seems to understand that. OTOH, not taking a QB guarantees you don't have anyone.

Tyron may be their guy or he could regress. Doesn't mean you don't take one because the player might not work out.

There aren't many teams that have invested less the past 20 years in the game's most important position. It's time to change that.

The reality of the Bills QB situation is that the Bills don't have a QB signed past next year. It's fairly apparent that you think TT will work out just fine. Unfortunately, there is a very real possibility that he doesn't. That defenses figure out how to stop him or that he just doesn't progress as a player.

In that case, the Bills need to plan for the future. They can't just hope TT continues to get better. They need to plan for all instances and so it would make sense to draft a QB in the case that TT doesn't work out. That player could sit for a year and in 2017 that QB could possibly start.

I just think some are approaching it from the wrong direction......

We dont need a starter....we have one

What we need is a QB that can come in for 3-4 games a year and play well enough to win.

If Tyrod is not the guy (and I feel that he is) then were gonna have to start all over from the QB aspect and this is not the draft to do that.

But what if Tyrod gets mad and leaves us at the altar? We need a lottery ticket, IMO.

Although, picking a QB may make TT even more mad and he may really want us to leave us after that. Tough pickle.

Tyrod CANNOT get mad and leave us at the alter

We can franchise his butt for the next 2 years......but that wont happen.....if he plays well the bills will pay him

Every player in the draft is a lottery ticket. Of course, we can draft safe picks like Robert Gallery and Aaron Curry.

If the Bills loved a qb and took him in the 1st, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Id rather them draft one later but we have ignored the position for far too long. Hopefully, it turns out to be Taylor. But if you like one a lot, you should draft one. Especially because all positions can have giant busts.

We can franchise his butt for the next 2 years......but that wont happen.....if he plays well the bills will pay him

Why not? He's already pretty mad he's playing for peanuts. He could just demand a trade because he's so mad.

Why not? He's already pretty mad he's playing for peanuts. He could just demand a trade because he's so mad.

It's easy for former 1st rounders to not show up when they're franchised... But when you haven't really made any big money, it gets trickier. If he plays well we will give him a fair value... Which is a lot of money.

I just think some are approaching it from the wrong direction......

We dont need a starter....we have one

What we need is a QB that can come in for 3-4 games a year and play well enough to win.

If Tyrod is not the guy (and I feel that he is) then were gonna have to start all over from the QB aspect and this is not the draft to do that.

You're basing this on 14 starts from a career backup, in which most of them, he sucked on the way to the Bills "achieving" an 8-8 record during a season in which the Bills had a painfully easy schedule.

You want the Bills to give him a big contract after a year of nearly pure crap.

Again, I praise Allah that you are not the GM.

Well Kyle Williams was a 5th rounder. I will say your odds of hitting on a QB improve greatly if you are willing to groom them for a few years.

But I'm listening to WGR yesterday talking about drafting a QB in the 2nd in case Taylor doesn't pan out. And all I can think of is the irony of people who aren't sold on Taylor after a pro bowl season being convinced a 2nd round rookie is going to be perfectly capable replacement. It boggles my mind.

How many franchise QBs were drafted and "groomed" for a few years? People mention Rodgers. Tyrod (if he turns out to be the franchise guy)--but he was drafted to be a backup, not a still young Flacco's replacement.

Who are the all the teams out there grooming their next full time starter?

And is going bust on a 2nd round QB really worse than on a O-lineman, or a NG?

Just because Buffalo has been risk averse taking QB's for the better part of 20 years doesn't mean it's right. Of course there's risk a player won't work out. EJ was a bust and everyone seems to understand that. OTOH, not taking a QB guarantees you don't have anyone.

Tyron may be their guy or he could regress. Doesn't mean you don't take one because the player might not work out.

There aren't many teams that have invested less the past 20 years in the game's most important position. It's time to change that.

Penn St's Christian Hackenberg looks like a case study in reverse on how coaching changes can ruin a young developing QB. The kid looked brilliant as a freshman under Bill O'Brian and when O'Brian left for the Texans Hackenberg took several steps backwards in his development. A new and different coaching staff, new offensive scheme, and after his freshman season the O-line, WR talent went downhill bigtime.

All this reminds me of how some inept coaches and surrounding players can hurt a young QB attempting to develop properly. Like Doug Marrone with no QB coach, a very bad O-line and OC. That said, EJ has been learning under a better OC and the Bills now have a much-improved line. So, in my view, it will be interesting to see if EJ has improved at all under Greg Roman as compared to what he didn't learn under Marrone / Hackett.

Anyway, I wouldn't be against the Bills drafting a QB at any point in this draft. I think the Bills were really thinking of moving up to the number two position to draft Wentz until the Eagles beat them to it. The Bills have had Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott all into Buffalo for a pre-draft look. Should Paxton Lynch be there at 19 I'd have to think the Bills will give him serious consideration. In all probablity it will be Jones in the 3rd round.

Penn St's Christian Hackenberg looks like a case study in reverse on how coaching changes can ruin a young developing QB. The kid looked brilliant as a freshman under Bill O'Brian and when O'Brian left for the Texans Hackenberg took several steps backwards in his development. A new and different coaching staff, new offensive scheme, and after his freshman season the O-line, WR talent went downhill bigtime.

All this reminds me of how some inept coaches and surrounding players can hurt a young QB attempting to develop properly. Like Doug Marrone with no QB coach, a very bad O-line and OC. That said, EJ has been learning under a better OC and the Bills now have a much-improved line. So, in my view, it will be interesting to see if EJ has improved at all under Greg Roman as compared to what he didn't learn under Marrone / Hackett.

Anyway, I wouldn't be against the Bills drafting a QB at any point in this draft. I think the Bills were really thinking of moving up to the number two position to draft Wentz until the Eagles beat them to it. The Bills have had Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott all into Buffalo for a pre-draft look. Should Paxton Lynch be there at 19 I'd have to think the Bills will give him serious consideration. In all probablity it will be Jones in the 3rd round.

Have we not already answered this question? Isn't EJ firmly entrenched as a lame duck #2 QB? I doubt Roman and Lee are giving him the time of day.

We should seriously considering getting a guy for Roman (if he's going to be here next year) that he actually wants to work with past '16.

Edited by FireChan

You mean like sixth round picks like Tyrod? I'd believe your theory if you had some stats to back them up. I pulled up the draft picks in last 8 years and it does not match what you are saying. They have been some high profile busts like Manziel within 2 years most (more than 50%) are selling cars? Quite a bit of exaggeration to get Bills not to draft any competition for Tyrod.