Why The Bills Should Draft Offense

Chilly

Great article! The Bills have not had a legitimate #2 WR since 2002, so it makes perfect sense to grab one either in rounds 1 or 2. If Watkins goes down due to injury, there goes the passing game, so the Bills need a #2 WR not only in case of injuries, but also when Watkins is getting double covered.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want them to get another WR, but sadly I don't think any of the WR's in this draft are worth the 19th pick for this Bills team.

And even just by "Best Player Available", I don't believe Treadwell is the 19th best player in this draft (at least, I hope he isn't).

Edited by HoF Watkins

I want them to get another WR, but sadly I don't think any of the WR's in this draft are worth the 19th pick for this Bills team.

And even just by "Best Player Available", I don't believe Treadwell is the 19th best player in this draft (at least, I hope he isn't).

I strongly suggest you watch some of Boyd and cross your fingers he is there at 49 !

Really great article by Kevin Massare here:

Buffalo Bills Drafting Offense – The Great Debate

In that article, he makes the case that the Bills should go offense at #19. I'll admit, I didn't realize how much I actually liked our starting front-7 until I sat down and reviewed it. It's a lot stronger than I *thought* it would be. We definitely have some depth to fill in, but I don't think it's as bad as we all assume it is when we think defense is a given.

#2 WR might be the biggest hole on the team. Robert Woods isn't good enough (but a darn good slot receiver), and he's our best option. We have to replace the production of Harvin/Hogan, and we don't have a great talent to do it. I do like Hankerson, but he's an ideal #4 WR, not a #2.

I'm becoming a fan of a potential trade back, as there will likely be multiple good WR options at #19, grabbing an extra pick for depth, and then going WR/NT in the draft. If I look at our starters, the biggest holes are WR, RT, DL. Let's get two of those in the first two rounds to really make this team stronger.

BTW, in case you guys don't read the article, Matt Miller is reporting that the latest draft buzz is the Bills going WR in round 1.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/723725773513756672

I like it! I agree WR, NT and RT are needs in the draft.

I like it! I agree WR, NT and RT are needs in the draft.

Thanks! Exactly - I really agree with you.

NT can 100% be had in the 2nd round. I've done mock after mock and every single one gives us a day one starter with pick 49. If we select a WR with pick 19, we will get another starter. I really think its the best plan for the team.

This.

No way will the Bills draft a WR in R1. That's just a smokescreen.

It will be defense, defense, defense in R1.................unless the Bills think that QB P. Lynch is a franchise QB.

The WILL select a WR, but not until R3 or R4. It's just not as important as DL, LB or QB.

While I've said all along that the bills have a need at the WR position in this draft, I wouldn't take one at 19. I'm not even sure I'd give any of the WRs in this draft a 1st round grade. 2nd-4th is where I'd take one. And I think there's a lot if we depth in the class, though maybe not the elite tier of years past.

While I've said all along that the bills have a need at the WR position in this draft, I wouldn't take one at 19. I'm not even sure I'd give any of the WRs in this draft a 1st round grade. 2nd-4th is where I'd take one. And I think there's a lot if we depth in the class, though maybe not the elite tier of years past.

if treadwell gets there, carolina will definitely pick him. if treadwell is there none of the cb's will be, and after apple, hargreaves and jackson... just don't know if alexander is worth a first round pick.

panthers need help on d, more than people realize.... but getting treadwell with benjamin, ginn, funchess and olsen would be ridiculous.

The fact that Mario played poorly was one of the reasons why we went from a top 5 defense to about 20th. We need to not just replace him but do better than what he di

+1

I'd be very unhappy if we went Offense with either of our top 2 picks

Really great article by Kevin Massare here:

Buffalo Bills Drafting Offense – The Great Debate

In that article, he makes the case that the Bills should go offense at #19. I'll admit, I didn't realize how much I actually liked our starting front-7 until I sat down and reviewed it. It's a lot stronger than I *thought* it would be. We definitely have some depth to fill in, but I don't think it's as bad as we all assume it is when we think defense is a given.

#2 WR might be the biggest hole on the team. Robert Woods isn't good enough (but a darn good slot receiver), and he's our best option. We have to replace the production of Harvin/Hogan, and we don't have a great talent to do it. I do like Hankerson, but he's an ideal #4 WR, not a #2.

I'm becoming a fan of a potential trade back, as there will likely be multiple good WR options at #19, grabbing an extra pick for depth, and then going WR/NT in the draft. If I look at our starters, the biggest holes are WR, RT, DL. Let's get two of those in the first two rounds to really make this team stronger.

BTW, in case you guys don't read the article, Matt Miller is reporting that the latest draft buzz is the Bills going WR in round 1.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/723725773513756672

Definitely a fan of Treadwell, we need a good big body WR after yrs of munchkins and burners.

Ask yourself which good team will have spend 3 1st rounders,1 2nd rounder, and 1 3rd rounder on Wrs in 5 years. This is a Detroit Lions' draft strategy.

You should never invest that much on a dependent position. If you have to surround your qb with that many weapons (plus big bucks on Clay), you don't have a franchise qb.

Ask yourself which good team will have spend 3 1st rounders,1 2nd rounder, and 1 3rd rounder on Wrs in 5 years. This is a Detroit Lions' draft strategy.

You should never invest that much on a dependent position. If you have to surround your qb with that many weapons (plus big bucks on Clay), you don't have a franchise qb.

You do when your prior regimes picks suck. The Bills need way more talent at receiver and a pick is way better than overpaying for Mohammed Sanu

Edited by Chilly

You do when your prior regimes picks suck. The Bills need way more talent at receiver and a pick is way better than overpaying for Mohammed Sanu

the Bills almost have to acquire WR talent via the draft. It's not that they can't pay a FA WR next year, it's that they want to funnel all their WR $ toward Sammy Watkins in 2019. And it's a tough sell to a FA WR to go to an offense not known for throwing the ball.

It really depends on where Roman's line of thinking is.....

They might very well think

- We have a bonafied number 1

- We are totally happy with our number 2.....who also provides excellent blocking

- All of our RB's can catch

- We brought in SEVERAL wide receivers in the latter part of last offseason.....3 of which have NFL experience

- We are gonna throw to Clay a lot

I really think at the end of the day this draft is gonna be about getting Rex Ryan's D back into order.....and selecting a QB in there somewhere

It really depends on where Roman's line of thinking is.....

They might very well think

- We have a bonafied number 1

- We are totally happy with our number 2.....who also provides excellent blocking

- All of our RB's can catch

- We brought in SEVERAL wide receivers in the latter part of last offseason.....3 of which have NFL experience

- We are gonna throw to Clay a lot

I really think at the end of the day this draft is gonna be about getting Rex Ryan's D back into order.....and selecting a QB in there somewhere

sure, that's why they shouldn't take one at 19 (IMO). But rounds 2-4 make sense to me. Because they are probably all better than anyone on the roster other than Sammy and maybe Woods, and Sammy gets hurt a lot and Woods is likely gone next year.

It's a deep WR draft if you need a good #2, not a good wr draft if you need a #1. Fortunately we do not.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Wouldn't say no to a WR at 19 but it would have to be on the proviso that they open up the passing game more than Greg Roman has ever done. You throw that valuable a resource at a problem, you'd better have a plan for it to be the solution.

Doctson would be more fun. Great ball tracker, massive catch radius, vertically superior to everyone in the class. I also know a bunch of Vikings fans that want him and I want to ruin their night on Thursday.

Treadwell would be a sounder pick. Contributes on every play because of his tremendous run blocking.

^^^

This. I wouldn't be crushed if the Bills took a WR first but I wouldn't be thrilled either. They are a run-first offense with a lot invested in their #1 option, Sammy Watkins. I would expect Sammy's targets to increase in his second year working with Tyrod. Taking their #2 WR that high is not necessary. Go D in the 1st Round. I'm hoping that Arizona or Denver will want to come up to 19 to get ahead of the Jest for Lynch which will give the Bills a little more ammo & flexibility to fill some of their holes.