Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you get the impression that his preference is to stay with Buffalo?

Very much so, yes.

The Bills can, and I expect they will, structure Gilmore's deal so the bulk of the cap hit will take place while Darby is still on his rookie deal. That way, for the next three seasons they can have two elite CBs for the price of one and give themselves the flexibility to walk away from Gilmore just as Darby's second contract is coming due.

That would be the way I'd approach it as a GM at least and I expect it to get done well before camp starts.

It's a good time to be a Bills fan. :beer:

Exactly.

Sal points out that Gilmore has missed no more games than any other elite corner.

I'm a big believer in Gilmore, but Sal is flat-out wrong.

Richard Sherman has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14086/richard-sherman

Patrick Peterson has started 16 games in 5 consecutive seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13980/patrick-peterson

Gilmore has missed a combined 11 games in his last 3 seasons. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14942/stephon-gilmore

I dont think they'll commit to $15M for Taylor right now. But if they could find room to bump him up this year and throw a couple extra million his way, I bet that would be appreciated across the entire locker room, and hopefully if/when it comes time to work out the expensive long term deal.

Right now, everything needs to be focused on getting Gilmore done. If they could do that before camp... holy cow, what an offseason that would be.

I think that is a good idea...(not that you asked)

Edited by nucci

You're not wrong :lol:

I think he's one helluva a GM, or at the very least the best we've had in a very long time.

But, man. He did a lot of interviews before, during and after draft weekend, and they were--at times--brutal.

Some will use this as a means to criticize his aptitude for the actual job. I'm not so shallow. But that doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from a little more media polishing. For whose benefit? Ours. So should it be a priority? HELL NO.

Ever seen Pegula in front of a mic/camera? :mellow:

I think he's one helluva a GM, or at the very least the best we've had in a very long time.

But, man. He did a lot of interviews before, during and after draft weekend, and they were--at times--brutal.

Some will use this as a means to criticize his aptitude for the actual job. I'm not so shallow. But that doesn't mean he couldn't benefit from a little more media polishing. For whose benefit? Ours. So should it be a priority? HELL NO.

He does struggle with vocabulary and pronunciation but I actually think he's improving and becoming more comfortable.

He does struggle with vocabulary and pronunciation but I actually think he's improving and becoming more comfortable.

It seems to me that upon occasion he suffers from getting slightly tongue tied via a stuttering issue.

I dont think they'll commit to $15M for Taylor right now. But if they could find room to bump him up this year and throw a couple extra million his way, I bet that would be appreciated across the entire locker room, and hopefully if/when it comes time to work out the expensive long term deal.

Right now, everything needs to be focused on getting Gilmore done. If they could do that before camp... holy cow, what an offseason that would be.

Question: Can they sign Taylor today to a contract extension that does not kick in until next season? Not sure what the cap rules are. I know they signed Dareus last year during the season and his deal didn't kick in until the next season. Not sure how that would work. Does the season officially have to start so the contract for this season is being honored and then the new contract is just that "a new contract" not an extension or change to the existing?

He's a smart dude and that's what matters. He knows what he's talking about but isn't totally comfortable conveying it verbally in that setting for whatever reason. He always comes off guarded to me.

Did you happen to catch his post draft press conference with Rex? I was struck by how relaxed he seemed. He starts off with the shields up and as the questions go from Doug to Rex and back again and the two of them get to interact with each other a bit, he really finds his chill. The longer you watch the more natural he becomes. You probably know I'm not a big Rex guy but I get the distinct impression the two of them get on well and appreciate working together, especially in contrast to Marrone or Idzik.

Pegula :mellow:

Question: Can they sign Taylor today to a contract extension that does not kick in until next season? Not sure what the cap rules are. I know they signed Dareus last year during the season and his deal didn't kick in until the next season. Not sure how that would work. Does the season officially have to start so the contract for this season is being honored and then the new contract is just that "a new contract" not an extension or change to the existing?

Yes, that is essentially exactly what an extension is. A signed deal that may or may not have any effect on this year's terms. But they would be foolish to do so now with Taylor so unproven.

This is the exact and ideal situation the Franchise Tag was made for. What better position is suited to be labeled your "Franchise Player" besides QB? You let him play out this year, and if he earns it, start negotiating a long term deal. And you always have the Tag to fall back on to help get things done.

With the way QB performance goes up and down, and the CRAZY market for QBs, the best move the Bills can make would be to wait as long as possible to re-sign Taylor. But, in a show of good faith, if they have a few extra million laying around this year, they would be wise to throw it his way.

That's because Pegula is a regular guy, who just happens to be a billionaire.

He's nothing like Jerry Jones, or most of the other outspoken owners.

From what I understand, he doesn't really care what anyone outside of the organization thinks. He wants to be paid what he's worth, and then he wants to go out on Sundays and play his game.

I know that he's received at least one contract offer, and that it was slightly below the range he wanted. I have no doubt he'll be signed before training camp.

was that before the Norman deal?

i would guess he wants to hit FA, if he wants the money.

Hope you are right Bandit, love to lock him up.

The last time I saw Pegula in front of a camera he started crying and made me start crying

Thats was a dusty day

He's a smart dude and that's what matters. He knows what he's talking about but isn't totally comfortable conveying it verbally in that setting for whatever reason. He always comes off guarded to me.

Did you happen to catch his post draft press conference with Rex? I was struck by how relaxed he seemed. He starts off with the shields up and as the questions go from Doug to Rex and back again and the two of them get to interact with each other a bit, he really finds his chill. The longer you watch the more natural he becomes. You probably know I'm not a big Rex guy but I get the distinct impression the two of them get on well and appreciate working together, especially in contrast to Marrone or Idzik.

Pegula :mellow:

I noticed the same

I cannot understand why its considered a positive to give Taylor money now.

As long as Bills are perceived as straight shooters by TT there is no reason not to go prove it by him.

Bills have said loudly multiple times , he is the starter