Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe that is true...I think that is simply Roman's offensive scheme

look....I have no problem with the bills wait and see approach with TT.......but lets not act like it is all about protecting Tyrod Taylors weaknesses......its a combonation of having a 1st year starter and Roman doing what he does well

They need to give Tyrod more command of the thing in year 2 and see what happens with that

Gotta disagree with that. It isn't a coincidence that Roman's offense is run first and that's just what happens to fit the Bills' personnel. He tailored his scheme to what he had to work with.

Gotta disagree with that. It isn't a coincidence that Roman's offense is run first and that's just what happens to fit the Bills' personnel. He tailored his scheme to what he had to work with.

I do think he feels more at home with the ground game --- but if he had a brees/Brady/Rodgers he'd be calling 35 passes a game

Absolutely not. If he can't carry the load, then he's not a franchise QB and doesn't deserve franchise money. If the team is leaning hard on the run game it is due to TT's inability to carry enough of the load.

I'm much more short sighted than most, and what I want to see as an eyeball measure of TTs improvement at QB is far, far fewer 3 and outs. He needs to put up a lot more sustained drives throughout games. I don't care how they end up moving the chains, but they have to sustain drives a lot better than they did last year. Repeated 3 and outs drags your Defense down and gives the opponent more time with the ball and more chances to put their foot on your neck. The Bills should be the ones stepping on people's throats. #BuildaBully

Edit: just looked it up on ProFootballReference. The Bills went 3 and out 50 times last year. Here's a linky thingy.

On those 50 fruitless drives, they gained an average of 1.4 yards and took 1:32 off the clock. Let's hope they improve on that.

If this is done then Whaley is on his game. :)

Water, I think he tweeted that when he heard Cordy's Glenn got extended on May 5th.

Edited by Nanker

Water, I think he tweeted that when he heard Cordy's Glenn got extended on May 5th.

Well damn.......... I was hoping something had happened with his contract situation. Hopefully it was because now he knows he is next in line. :thumbsup:

He did the same thing in San Francisco

With Kaep? That shouldn't be a surprise. When did he ever handcuff a franchise QB with a run first game? Even forget franchise QB. How about a quality QB that can get through progressions? When has Roman ever limited a QB that could do more? Maybe it's all coincidence or teams without strong QBs seek him out due to his scheme, but I can't believe that in today's NFL he wouldn't try to get everything he could out of his QB.

Edited by BarleyNY

@SalSports

We know about Taylor and Gilmore, but what other Bills will be free agents in 2017? A list and very early analysis: http://www.wgr550.com/After-Taylor-and-Gilmore-what-other-Bills-will-be-/22736343

I wonder if they go to the table with Sammy after the season and see if they can work something out long term which will give him more money than the rookie deal and will save us some coin long term. I suppose that all depends how he plays this year, if he is lights out and stays healthy his agent may tell him to stand pat.

I wonder if they go to the table with Sammy after the season and see if they can work something out long term which will give him more money than the rookie deal and will save us some coin long term. I suppose that all depends how he plays this year, if he is lights out and stays healthy his agent may tell him to stand pat.

I don't believe they can per the CBA.

1st round picks are signed for 5 years vs. 4 years for other draft selections.

Yeah you get an extra year of control with the 1st round selection but i believe you can negotiate a new deal with any rookie after year 3. This article goes over it briefly. I know it may sound foolish to go the table so soon, it's forward thinking and can benefit both the team and player though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13146568/nfl-needs-change-how-rookie-contracts-structured

Yeah you get an extra year of control with the 1st round selection but i believe you can negotiate a new deal with any rookie after year 3. This article goes over it briefly. I know it may sound foolish to go the table so soon, it's forward thinking and can benefit both the team and player though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13146568/nfl-needs-change-how-rookie-contracts-structured

Got it. Thanks for clarifying that. :thumbsup:

Although teams can renegotiate rookie contracts after three years under the CBA, there's nothing that compels them to do so.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying that. :thumbsup:

Although teams can renegotiate rookie contracts after three years under the CBA, there's nothing that compels them to do so.

Yeah it's something I'd consider situational at best. This is a case where it makes sense though, the investment and the talent are both overwhleming. Why not try to offer him a very good long term deal after this season, opposed to being forced to pay the mega deal that he will be looking at after his option is up. No doubt it would still take a nice contract to get him and his agent to sign but it can and has been done.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: My 3 #Bills thoughts: The team's new PR campaign, the battle at right tackle, who should get paid next? https://t.co/OjqkX1EOJa

Cordy Glenn's recent contract extension leaves the Bills with quarterback Tyrod Taylor and cornerback Stephon Gilmore as key players heading into the final season of their respective contracts. If I was General Manager Doug Whaley, my priority would be on getting an extension done first with Gilmore. He's proven himself more than Taylor in the NFL, and the price of an elite cornerback in the league continues to rise. Gilmore might not be that just yet, but he's close, and if he does get there, it's going to cost even more to re-sign him next year.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: My 3 #Bills thoughts: The team's new PR campaign, the battle at right tackle, who should get paid next? https://t.co/OjqkX1EOJa

Cordy Glenn's recent contract extension leaves the Bills with quarterback Tyrod Taylor and cornerback Stephon Gilmore as key players heading into the final season of their respective contracts. If I was General Manager Doug Whaley, my priority would be on getting an extension done first with Gilmore. He's proven himself more than Taylor in the NFL, and the price of an elite cornerback in the league continues to rise. Gilmore might not be that just yet, but he's close, and if he does get there, it's going to cost even more to re-sign him next year.

This post is crazy in so many ways.

He wants us to place more importance on a corner than on Tyrod? How many Games has Gilmore taken over and won for this team as compared to Tyrod, who won behind an OL with a horrible right side and a defense that went from excellent to the toilet under Ryan?

Maybe it's me, but imo Tyrod doesn't get the credit that he is due.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He wants us to place more importance on a corner than on Tyrod? How many Games has Gilmore taken over and won for this team as compared to Tyrod, who won behind an OL with a horrible right side and a defense that went from excellent to the toilet under Ryan?

You not understanding the value of an excellent CB in today's NFL? What a shocker! Tyrod will get his due in a big pay day if his game continues to progress in 2016. Anything new from you? Nope! The beat goes on.

A few things:

- Gilmore is the priority based on his longer track-record of success; he's been a very good player (at least in their eyes if not yours) for 4 years. Tyrod had one decent season; it's not prudent to pay him $20M/year at this point.

- Gilmore will be the easier (and cheaper) player to sign right now; you can buy yourself another year with Tyrod if you aren't 100% convinced with the franchise tag.

- Though the right side of the line was the weaker side, they weren't horrible. You can't be the league's #1 rushing offense and allow the 10th-fewest QB hits (with a QB that holds the ball longer than any other in the league mind you) if they're horrible. In need of improvement for sure, but not horrible. I'd call them below-average, though I still feel good about Miller taking a step.