Bills enamored with Cardale Jones?

Sammy was a huge swing for the fences

Cyrus was a risky pick

Then no first and Darby who I wouldn't call particularly risky I guess

His 3rd rounders were pretty safe though

i was originally reading it as just the players themselves, not the move as a whole. I saw Sammy as one of the more bust-proof top 5 picks in a while. I see what he was trying to say now.

Forgot about Kuandjoie.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was originally reading it as just the players themselves. I saw Sammy as one of the more bust-proof top 5 picks in a while.

Forgot about Kuandjoie.

Kind of how I feel. Sammy was expensive but not that risky. He was going to be a #1 at his floor. Maybe he wouldn't have been a superstar but they were getting a good player. If it would have been Clowney (as rumored at times) it would have been really risky. Mack and Watkins had high floors and ceilings.

Boom or bust to me this year would be Nkemdiche or Jaylon Smith in the 1st, obviously for different reasons. Cardale jones in the 3rd round or later as a project QB doesn't scream boom or bust. I guess lacanfora thinks he could go in the 2nd, as do I, but I do not think the Bills will take a QB that high. I could see a team like Arizona doing that. Jmo.

I hate to keep yammering about the article but I also found it odd that he talks about Cardale competing for the starting job in camp to push Tyrod. That's about as far off of the message sent from the team as I can think of.

Edited by YoloinOhio

For a guy that was 3rd string on his team? Looking the part and being the part are two different things.

he was 3rd string (as a RS Sophomore) because he wasn't recruited by the current coaching staff and didn't fit the offensive system as well as the other two. There are talented players across college football who are on the bench for that reason after a coaching change. Transferring is an option for some, but not all. Edited by YoloinOhio

No thanks. He's a bust, guaranteed. Couldn't keep a college starting gig and there are some who think he has potential? Every report suggest his weaknesses are "fails to read defenses" and "locks onto targets" and "poor timing" and "questionable decision-making" and..... it goes on. Welcome to EJ Manual 2.0.

A project QB isn't, and it has been proven over and over and over, a guy with a huge arm and physical talents and no brains. All of the above weaknesses are mental issues, not physical. Do you know how ling it would take to fix a guy like this? If you can't even be good enough to start in college with these supposed superior skills, how the hell is this a guy anyone would draft as a QB. Those who poo-poo the wonderlic fail to realize that for QB it's a good proxy for mental capacity, recall, and mental agility/reflexes. It measures what you know but the speed requires you to be sharp and focuses, key attributes of a QB. So I've said it here ad nauseam, a 22 on a wonderlic for a QB is the starting point, no Super Bowl-winning QB has ever had less than a 22 (reportedly) with the exception of Bradshaw who apparently had dyslexia(?). Favre I believe was the 22. So if you want a Super Bowl, I hate to break it to you, the wonderlic score should matter. Can you get into the playoffs with a sub-22, yes. Just can't win it all. Cam Newton and his 21 came close!

But look at the SB winners on the list published here (http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/03/qb-wonderlic-scores.html). No Montana or Aikman there unless I missed. One site has Aikman with a 29.

Brady 33

Rodgers 35

E. Manning 39

Young 33

Brees 28

P Manning 28

Flacco 27

Roethlisberger 25

Dilfer 22

Favre 22

Jim Kelly (and Marino) 15. So you can have productive teams and runs but I would argue a 15 today is worse than a 15 then, game is more pass oriented and complicated.

My point is, if you review the list, there are a ton of super athletes with sub-22s. At the same time, you can argue "Well, lots of brainy QBs sucked too and never won squat." Also true and I'm not suggest drafting one of them guarantees you anything. All I am saying is the only guarantee out there is that drafting a sub-22 QB will never win you a super bowl.

For those of you hung up on Cardale being a back-up don't worry about it. They run basically a zone read type of offense. JT is Tyrod as a runner while Cardale is more like Luck. He's a good runner but not a great runner. They preferred the great runner. Cardale is a much, much, much better pro prospect than JT. It's apples and oranges.

Cardale has MORE physical skills than EJ gases coming out. In addition, he was great with the pressure on. He is extremely raw and may never pan out. He's definitely boom or bust but don't get hung up on his place on the depth charts

What does he mean by this?What other boom or bust players has Whaley drafted or signed? Is he referring to Incognito? He makes it sound like a trend.

And is he saying the Bills shouldn't draft a QB, because they drafted EJ and he didn't work out? So never draft one again?

Incognito

Henderson

Karlos

Darby

All had possible off field issues I thought.

Manuel

Shady (new contract)

Watkins (with trade)

All seem to be high risk and reward, or at least some risk and some major damage if it doesn't work out.

Incognito

Henderson

Karlos

Darby

All had possible off field issues I thought.

Manuel

Shady (new contract)

Watkins (with trade)

All seem to be high risk and reward, or at least some risk and some major damage if it doesn't work out.

i don't look at low cost FAs and low round draft picks as boom or bust but I guess he does. Isn't it supposed to be high risk, high reward? Those players were low risk based on what they cost or where they were drafted. I see Shady and Sammy as "moves" that held a degree of risk but the players themselves did not. I'm sure I'm way over analyzing it but it just seemed like a weird comment to me. Nbd.,

For those of you hung up on Cardale being a back-up don't worry about it. They run basically a zone read type of offense. JT is Tyrod as a runner while Cardale is more like Luck. He's a good runner but not a great runner. They preferred the great runner. Cardale is a much, much, much better pro prospect than JT. It's apples and oranges.

Cardale has MORE physical skills than EJ gases coming out. In addition, he was great with the pressure on. He is extremely raw and may never pan out. He's definitely boom or bust but don't get hung up on his place on the depth charts

LMAO.

I've seen it all..