WGR on EJ - will he stay on the roster as backup QB?

he has not trade value, and cutting him makes no sense he's here unless we can find a trade partner. Return value almost insignificant

the problem with keeping EJ is Whaley has too much man-love for him. Whaley has done everything he can to eliminate threats to EJ's progression to Bills starting QB and he may or may not have given up after the London debacle. Just get him out of the stable so we can move on. Pretty sure Rex wants nothing to do with him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ getting any reps is a complete waste of time when those reps could be going to a QB who will be here in 2017.

draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

sign a F/A QB or draft another QB in 4th.

the QB position is not settled. i'm a big TT fan, but who knows how TT will play in 2016 (one year wonder ?) or even be signed for 2017.

I know we have lots of other needs (NT, OT, LB) but none more important than the future at QB.

He is gonna back up this year because we dont save money by cutting him.....the bills will draft a QB to groom as the number 2 for next year....and EJ rides off into the sunset.

Gotta agree. He'll most likely have a new team in 2017.

He shouldn't be on the team, he simply not an NFL quality QB. The back-up spot should be used for someone who can step in an win if the Taylor is out or for a developmental QB. I'd rather draft a QB and/or sign a real veteran who can get us through a couple of games if he had too.

This is nonsense. You realize the Bills averaged more points and yards in EJ starts than Taylor starts right? Yet, EJ isn't NFL caliber and Taylor is a franchise qb? It makes no sense.

Taylor is the starter because he is much smarter with the ball. But EJ isn't nearly as bad of a backup as some of you want him to be. Besides one of the worst 5 minute stretches in NFL, he was a perfectly capable backup. He played with Watkins for a half in his two games.

Keep our 2 Qbs and draft a guy. Everyone will benefit. EJ won't ever be our franchise. But the hate he has gotten and still gets is kinda embarrassing. But man if only we kept Matt Cassel!

the problem with keeping EJ is Whaley has too much man-love for him. Whaley has done everything he can to eliminate threats to EJ's progression to Bills starting QB and he may or may not have given up after the London debacle. Just get him out of the stable so we can move on. Pretty sure Rex wants nothing to do with him.

He helped us get back in the league. He gets no credit for that? That stretch would have crushed a lot of guys. He was throwing to Woods, Hogan, and Easley. Mc Coy fumbled inside the 10. The defense couldn't stop Bortles from driving 85 yards in 2 minutes.

But it was all EJ's fault!

He is gonna back up this year because we dont save money by cutting him.....the bills will draft a QB to groom as the number 2 for next year....and EJ rides off into the sunset.

Yup. Completely reasonable. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

I think he's a great guy with some great tools. I think his coaching sucked for his first 2 years. Odds are he will never be a starter but he certainly has NFL ability.

This is nonsense. You realize the Bills averaged more points and yards in EJ starts than Taylor starts right? Yet, EJ isn't NFL caliber and Taylor is a franchise qb? It makes no sense.

Taylor is the starter because he is much smarter with the ball. But EJ isn't nearly as bad of a backup as some of you want him to be. Besides one of the worst 5 minute stretches in NFL, he was a perfectly capable backup. He played with Watkins for a half in his two games.

Keep our 2 Qbs and draft a guy. Everyone will benefit. EJ won't ever be our franchise. But the hate he has gotten and still gets is kinda embarrassing. But man if only we kept Matt Cassel!

He helped us get back in the league. He gets no credit for that? That stretch would have crushed a lot of guys. He was throwing to Woods, Hogan, and Easley. Mc Coy fumbled inside the 10. The defense couldn't stop Bortles from driving 85 yards in 2 minutes.

But it was all EJ's fault!

Yup. Completely reasonable. Hopefully it works out for everyone.

I think he's a great guy with some great tools. I think his coaching sucked for his first 2 years. Odds are he will never be a starter but he certainly has NFL ability.

I do not think he was well developed. I think Marrone hated him early on. I have no facts to base it on.

The Jaguars game was such a bummer. You could see he was having JJ Watt flashbacks and just lost all composure. That probably sealed his fate with the Bills.

I would be surprised if he was not the backup this year.

But time to draft and groom his replacement for sure

Not only will he be with the team I think he'll start a game or two this year. Any QB they draft won't be more NFL ready in his rookie year than EJ is right now and the team will go with the vet if/when TT gets hurt. I'd love TT to suit up for all 16 games but I just don't see it given how he plays.

I do not think he was well developed. I think Marrone hated him early on. I have no facts to base it on.

The Jaguars game was such a bummer. You could see he was having JJ Watt flashbacks and just lost all composure. That probably sealed his fate with the Bills.

I would be surprised if he was not the backup this year.

But time to draft and groom his replacement for sure

Completely fair. And he was terrible for 5 minutes in that Jags game. At the same point, it's kinda a double standard no one will give him credit for keeping his composure and helping the team rally. With Woods and Hogan as his Wrs.

He lost the opportunity to be a starter but he is perfectly fine as a backup.

Completely fair. And he was terrible for 5 minutes in that Jags game. At the same point, it's kinda a double standard no one will give him credit for keeping his composure and helping the team rally. With Woods and Hogan as his Wrs.

Well Biscuit, i think he has to prove that to most of us. he did recover himself well.

But i will be fine if we never know. the answer : )

Maybe we can make the VIP tent our #2 receiver next year...!!

Imo

Looking forward to another offseason of you predicting EJ will be cut. You nailed it last year!

Well Biscuit, i think he has to prove that to most of us. he did recover himself well.

But i will be fine if we never know. the answer : )

Hopefully, Taylor stays healthy and progresses as a passer and we finally have a franchise qb.

Looking forward to another offseason of you predicting EJ will be cut. You nailed it last year!

Hopefully, Taylor stays healthy and progresses as a passer and we finally have a franchise qb.

Lets surely hope so 97 !

As RJ fans said for years, "he left the field with the lead"

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/22623650.php?contentType=4&contentId=18633261

Please note this thread is not opened with any hint of EJ is a serious threat to TT or that he may somehow become a good NFL starting QB. That ship has sailed. The question simply is will EJ be on the roster as the backup to TT on opening day?

The article is indeed about EJ being a backup.

But the EJ as starter ship hasn't sailed, nor will it until he's off the team. It's certainly pretty unlikely, but it's a fact that some three year guys who didn't look like starters have taken huge steps up and become franchise guys. whether EJ is one such is just guesswork. Unlikely but absolutely not impossible if he makes major improvements. And some guys do. Not a high percentage, but some.

I believe that EJ lasts only until the Bills either find a QB to supplant him or a trade partner for him. It makes little sense to keep him except for his contract guarantees. On that subject here are a couple of important notes:

- He only has accrued three years in the NFL so he'd be subject to waivers if the Bills released him. That means any team claiming him would take on the whole $1.6M.

- His contract has offsets so if he cleared waivers and was signed by another team as a FA his 2016 earnings would be deducted from the $1.6M owed to him by the Bills. 4th year minimum salary is $675k so the Bills hit would be under $1M if he was picked up by another team for the full season.

Edited by BarleyNY

I believe that EJ lasts only until the Bills either find a QB to supplant him or a trade partner for him. It makes little sense to keep him except for his contract guarantees. On that subject here are a couple of important notes:

- He only has accrued three years in the NFL so he'd be subject to waivers if the Bills released him. That means any team claiming him would take on the whole $1.6M.

- His contract has offsets so if he cleared waivers and was signed by another team as a FA his 2016 earnings would be deducted from the $1.6M owed to him by the Bills.

Give names of who could supplant him. Again, it's easy to post comments like this but who do you have in mind?