WGR on EJ - will he stay on the roster as backup QB?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give names of who could supplant him. Again, it's easy to post comments like this but who do you have in mind?

Probably a draft pick. I suspect the Bills will take a QB somewhere in the draft, but the other possibility is a pick up during cut downs. Or maybe both. At this point it make little sense to waste time trying to develop EJ. On the off chance he shows significant improvement he will still be a free agent next season and he's not going to get so good that the Bills would tag him. He's gone no matter what. Also the Bills want to avoid having all of their QBs hit free agency next season. They have to sign a guy beyond that for stability and negotiation purposes. They aren't going to commit to Tyrod before seeing how he does this season (or at least part of it anyway) and they aren't extending EJ so they've got to sign someone else. When they do, EJ becomes expendable. The Bills will probably try to trade him during the draft after they draft a QB.

Edited by BarleyNY

Probably a draft pick. I suspect the Bills will take a QB somewhere in the draft, but the other possibility is a pick up during cut downs. Or maybe both. At this point it make little sense to waste time trying to develop EJ. On the off chance he shows significant improvement he will still be a free agent next season and he's not going to get so good that the Bills would tag him. He's gone no matter what. Also the Bills want to avoid having all of their QBs hit free agency next season. They have to sign a guy beyond that for stability and negotiation purposes. They aren't going to commit to Tyrod before seeing how he does this season (or at least part of it anyway) and they aren't extending EJ so they've got to sign someone else. When they do, EJ becomes expendable. The Bills will probably try to trade him during the draft after they draft a QB.

No draft pick will supplant him as the #2 and you are still not providing any names.

No draft pick will supplant him as the #2 and you are still not providing any names.

I don't have to provide a name to be correct that the Bills FO will - or should - try to move on from EJ this offseason. Heck, maybe they'll try to acquire someone to take his place, but won't be able to manage it. That could easily happen. Keeping him at #2 isn't going to be a good situation though. He knows he'll be in his last year with the Bills and the Bills know it too. At some point everyone involved is going to move on mentally. At those times it's best that people move on physically as well.

I don't have to provide a name to be correct that the Bills FO will - or should - try to move on from EJ this offseason. Heck, maybe they'll try to acquire someone to take his place, but won't be able to manage it. That could easily happen. Keeping him at #2 isn't going to be a good situation though. He knows he'll be in his last year with the Bills and the Bills know it too. At some point everyone involved is going to move on mentally. At those times it's best that people move on physically as well.

You can't provide any names because there is such a black hole of talent out there. They won't unless there is a suitable alternative and I see none out there in the QB landscape. They certainly will not outright release him. He'll most likely be the back up QB in 2016 unless he's traded. Get used to the idea or not.

E J knows the system. He can step in and win. Run-Run-Run. Just don't let him throw down field. Maybe a screen pass. It's all in the calls. Sad but true.

Didn't he prove last year this to be false? Guys a disaster no matter what he does.

I am the ultimate "EJ hater" and "Tyrod fanboy" right? EJ Manuel is a perfectly capable backup QB. His play last year was about what you'd expect from a backup NFL QB. More and more, people round these parts seem to think that other teams have five great offensive linemen, great backup QB's, etc. Sorry but it's a TBD fallacy. If backup QB's were any better they'd be starters. EJ Manuel is what a backup QB looks like. He's fine. As long as he doesn't have to play for an extended period, of course.

I am the ultimate "EJ hater" and "Tyrod fanboy" right? EJ Manuel is a perfectly capable backup QB. His play last year was about what you'd expect from a backup NFL QB. More and more, people round these parts seem to think that other teams have five great offensive linemen, great backup QB's, etc. Sorry but it's a TBD fallacy. If backup QB's were any better they'd be starters. EJ Manuel is what a backup QB looks like. He's fine. As long as he doesn't have to play for an extended period, of course.

His play including highhandedly sinking the Jags game in the second Q? You don't expect your back-up QB to look like he's got money on the other team, IMO.

His play including highhandedly sinking the Jags game in the second Q? You don't expect your back-up QB to look like he's got money on the other team, IMO.

Oh believe me, I am well aware he singlehandedly cost us the Jax game. I've argued it many times on here. I also think he may have learned a lesson from that and I'm also not sure many backup QB's play as well as he did in the second half of that game. I also found it thoroughly amusing when the last few stragglers were insisting he played well against Cincinnati. But is he a top 64 QB in the league? Sure.

Oh believe me, I am well aware he singlehandedly cost us the Jax game. I've argued it many times on here. I also think he may have learned a lesson from that and I'm also not sure many backup QB's play as well as he did in the second half of that game. I also found it thoroughly amusing when the last few stragglers were insisting he played well against Cincinnati. But is he a top 64 QB in the league? Sure.

Against prevent?

What lesson could he have learned? How many QB's take 3 years to realize they shouldn't collapse under pressure and turnover the ball 3 times in 1 minute? That may have been EJ's worst moment. I fail to see how it's, in any way, a positive.

Give me a bum who is guaranteed to make a couple good throws and throw a pick or two in the red zone like Charlie Whitehurst. Not someone who has the possibility to play decent or completely implode at any moment. JMO.

Against prevent?

What lesson could he have learned? How many QB's take 3 years to realize they shouldn't collapse under pressure and turnover the ball 3 times in 1 minute? That may have been EJ's worst moment. I fail to see how it's, in any way, a positive.

Give me a bum who is guaranteed to make a couple good throws and throw a pick or two in the red zone like Charlie Whitehurst. Not someone who has the possibility to play decent or completely implode at any moment. JMO.

May have been EJ's worst moment?? Believe me, I am in no way defending EJ Manuel. Quite frankly, I think he sucks. But Charlie Whitehurst is a great example of a guy we never see play so we somehow assume he must not be that bad. I'm sure he sucks too. I guess what I'm saying is that most backup QB's suck or else they wouldn't be backup QB's. As WGR pointed out in the very article we are discussing, his numbers last year fell pretty much in line with other backup QB's around the league. Who is a GOOD backup QB? Maybe Hasselbeck? OK. Sanchez? He might even be a starter now. Those guys are maybe top 30 QB's in the league. All I'm saying is that EJ might be the 50th best QB in the league. Which is probably good enough to be a backup. Give me someone we should get instead and I'm guessing it's someone who's a borderline starter.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

May have been EJ's worst moment?? Believe me, I am in no way defending EJ Manuel. Quite frankly, I think he sucks. But Charlie Whitehurst is a great example of a guy we never see play so we somehow assume he must not be that bad. I'm sure he sucks too. I guess what I'm saying is that most backup QB's suck or else they wouldn't be backup QB's. As WGR pointed out in the very article we are discussing, his numbers last year fell pretty much in line with other backup QB's around the league. Who is a GOOD backup QB? Maybe Hasselbeck? OK. Sanchez? He might even be a starter now. Those guys are maybe top 30 QB's in the league. All I'm saying is that EJ might be the 50th best QB in the league. Which is probably good enough to be a backup. Give me someone we should get instead and I'm guessing it's someone who's a borderline starter.

I''m of the opinion there are two ideal back-up QB's in the NFL today. There's the guys who are Hasselbacks or the like, once starters who have been in the NFL for many years. He's probably the best, but I mean the guys like McCown, Flynn etc. etc. They bring experience, they know their role, and they can help the starter from the bench.

Then there's the other class of back-up QB's. The class who are developmental QB's. You don't get any of the benefits of the veteran experience, but they have potential. They may be long-term starters down the road (not likely but who knows). TT and Aaron Rodgers are here. And guys like Mettenberger, Murray and McCarron were/are those guys.

EJ is neither, thus we should be looking to replace him. Because at the end of the day, if your starting QB goes down for an extended period of time, you're screwed unless you get insanely lucky.

There's also an argument that we are in a win-now stage and our goals are just to make the playoffs, thus trading for a McCown or Hoyer to hopefully go .500 or more if/when TT misses a game or 3 would be a decent move. They would be improvements over EJ for the short-term and we would lose some assets.

Either way, we can do better, and I hope we do.

I''m of the opinion there are two ideal back-up QB's in the NFL today. There's the guys who are Hasselbacks or the like, once starters who have been in the NFL for many years. He's probably the best, but I mean the guys like McCown, Flynn etc. etc. They bring experience, they know their role, and they can help the starter from the bench.

Then there's the other class of back-up QB's. The class who are developmental QB's. You don't get any of the benefits of the veteran experience, but they have potential. They may be long-term starters down the road (not likely but who knows). TT and Aaron Rodgers are here. And guys like Mettenberger, Murray and McCarron were/are those guys.

EJ is neither, thus we should be looking to replace him. Because at the end of the day, if your starting QB goes down for an extended period of time, you're screwed unless you get insanely lucky.

There's also an argument that we are in a win-now stage and our goals are just to make the playoffs, thus trading for a McCown or Hoyer to hopefully go .500 or more if/when TT misses a game or 3 would be a decent move. They would be improvements over EJ for the short-term and we would lose some assets.

Either way, we can do better, and I hope we do.

Believe it or not, McCown and Hoyer are both top 30 QB's in this league and will probably end up starting somewhere this upcoming season before it's all said and done. But agreed on the developmental type. McCarron is probably the most ideal backup QB in the league. But if he has another handful of decent games in the next year or two, he's your next Brock Osweiler. And around and around it goes.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Believe it or not, McCown and Hoyer are both top 30 QB's in this league and will probably end up starting somewhere this upcoming season before it's all said and done. But agreed on the developmental type. McCarron is probably the most ideal backup QB in the league. But if he has another handful of decent games in the next year or two, he's your next Brock Osweiler. And around and around it goes.

They probably could. But I'd love to have them as back-ups. And seeing as both teams they are on are trying to trade them...

They probably could. But I'd love to have them as back-ups. And seeing as both teams they are on are trying to trade them...

But are they teams willing to take EJ and his salary in return?

The only landing spot I see for EJ in a trade is the 49ers if they trade away Kaep. I could see them sending a 7th rounder in the 2017 draft our way for EJ. Chip liked him coming out and frankly I don't think that man would know an NFL Quarterback if one woke up in bed next to him.