WGR on EJ - will he stay on the roster as backup QB?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There really is no reason not to have him on the team this year. it has been debated enough already. And i would suggest he will be the number two not #3.

I bet he runs great practices and is an asset in the QB room. Helps TT and is a team player.

Knows the system.

The jags game was an anomaly. He probably can keep the team afloat for a game or two honestly.
But any team that has the starter go down for the season is most likely resigned to a losing season. Just how the NFL is built.

There really is no reason not to have him on the team this year. it has been debated enough already. And i would suggest he will be the number two not #3.

I bet he runs great practices and is an asset in the QB room. Helps TT and is a team player.

Knows the system.

The jags game was an anomaly. He probably can keep the team afloat for a game or two honestly.

But any team that has the starter go down for the season is most likely resigned to a losing season. Just how the NFL is built..

It was no anomaly.

I believe he is a head case after watching him fall apart against JAX. But even before then, I was walking on eggshells, watching him walking on eggshells.

He has some nice skills, and is capable of stringing together some good quarters of play, but I no longer believe he will overcome his jitters. He is passable as a backup if he doesn't see much action.

Edited by HoF Watkins

It was no anomaly.

I believe he is a head case after watching him fall apart against JAX. But even before then, I was walking on eggshells, watching him walking on eggshells.

He has some nice skills, and is capable of stringing together some good quarters of play, but I no longer believe he will overcome his jitters. He is passable as a backup who won't see much action.

as i said before and will again. he had the JJ Watt flashbacks. He shook it off though. Thats is why i am not so down on him as some.

They have meds for that anyways.

I sure hope he does not need to get on the field for any length of time. But if he had to i think he can limit his mistakes with Roman calling the plays

as i said before and will again. he had the JJ Watt flashbacks. He shook it off though. Thats is why i am not so down on him as some.

They have meds for that anyways.

I sure hope he does not need to get on the field for any length of time. But if he had to i think he can limit his mistakes with Roman calling the plays

A starting NFL QB doesn't have the luxury of shaking off that kind of performance. It's not like "yeah, that happened, but now he has "shaken it off" and will be fine from here on out"....ahh, nope. You can't count on that, and he doesn't have great performances to counteract it (like say, Bret Favre does, for his lapses).

I believe he has many more of those kinds of lapses still in him, and not many (if any) great performances, in him.

Edited by HoF Watkins

He could be cut later on, after the draft and some of camp. I doubt it but that would be the time If it happens.

You first have to see who you can draft at QB, and get a look at the guy for a bit.

Cutting EJ now just creates a more urgent situation at backup QB. Might as well keep him on the roster until you have your #2 guy drafted/signed and in-house.

A starting NFL QB doesn't have the luxury of shaking off that kind of performance. It's not like "yeah, that happened, but now he has "shaken it off" and will be fine from here on out"....ahh, nope. You can't count on that, and he doesn't have great performances to counteract it (like say, Bret Favre does, for his lapses).

I believe he has many more of those kinds of lapses still in him, and not many (if any) great performances, in him.

I am in no position to defend EJM , admittedly.

But do not see him being any better than a short term game manager for the Bills. like i said Roman would need to be sure of his calls.

Because EJ has a serious fear of live bullets and pressure from the D rush

He could be cut later on, after the draft and some of camp. I doubt it but that would be the time If it happens.

You first have to see who you can draft at QB, and get a look at the guy for a bit.

Cutting EJ now just creates a more urgent situation at backup QB. Might as well keep him on the roster until you have your #2 guy drafted/signed and in-house.

Lets hope they can get a developmental QB in the later rounds, let him get a season as an understudy and make whatever move you need to down the road.

I bet if there was a half decent trade offer, Rex and Roman would dump him. They want little to do with EJ. That was clear this past season.

How so ?

I am in no position to defend EJM , admittedly.

But do not see him being any better than a short term game manager for the Bills. like i said Roman would need to be sure of his calls.

Because EJ has a serious fear of live bullets and pressure from the D rush

Lets hope they can get a developmental QB in the later rounds, let him get a season as an understudy and make whatever move you need to down the road.

How so ?

In March, Rex and brought in Cassel and Tyrod to compete for the starting job with EJ, a first round pick and the current starting QB.

In the beginning of September, just as EJ "won" the backup job, they release Cassel.....only to resign him 3 days later to replace EJ as the backup.

During the second NE game, TT was clearly injured (shoulder/chest), yet they absolutely would not pull him out in favor of EJ.

Once the Bills realized one of their backup QBs had trade value, they traded away Cassel.

They seem to feel stuck with him

In March, Rex and brought in Cassel and Tyrod to compete for the starting job with EJ, a first round pick and the current starting QB.

In the beginning of September, just as EJ "won" the backup job, they release Cassel.....only to resign him 3 days later to replace EJ as the backup.

During the second NE game, TT was clearly injured (shoulder/chest), yet they absolutely would not pull him out in favor of EJ.

Once the Bills realized one of their backup QBs had trade value, they traded away Cassel.

They seem to feel stuck with him

Reasonable take. at least its a decent theory : )