Maybe the Bills should try to reposition a player or 2.

Seeing how their hands are tied pretty good salary cap wise maybe they should better utilize some of their second tier players.

I have been reading a bit on some back up players that are on the roster and DT T.J. Barnes stood out to me. Switching him to the offensive side of the ball and RG could be a good fit. He has good athleticism, and of course great size, that could pay dividends as a pulling G.

Another player of interest to me is S Jonathan Dowling. Add weight to him and he could possibly be that edge rushing LB that the Bills are looking for. In any event I find him intriguing, under Ed Reed's tutelage Dowling could be one of the biggest surprises on this team. Maturity issues are the concerns with him but people do change and grow up and hopefully that is the case with him.

I've been pretty down in the lately watching us lose players and not adding much in free agency but looking deeper into some of our current players has given me a bit more optimism. With a good draft, and if our salary cap can allow it, add a couple of inexpensive depth players and we could be in a much better shape than what meets the eye.

Seeing how their hands are tied pretty good salary cap wise maybe they should better utilize some of their second tier players.

I have been reading a bit on some back up players that are on the roster and DT T.J. Barnes stood out to me. Switching him to the offensive side of the ball and RG could be a good fit. He has good athleticism, and of course great size, that could pay dividends as a pulling G.

Another player of interest to me is S Jonathan Dowling. Add weight to him and he could possibly be that edge rushing LB that the Bills are looking for. In any event I find him intriguing, under Ed Reed's tutelage Dowling could be one of the biggest surprises on this team. Maturity issues are the concerns with him but people do change and grow up and hopefully that is the case with him.

I've been pretty down in the lately watching us lose players and not adding much in free agency but looking deeper into some of our current players has given me a bit more optimism. With a good draft, and if our salary cap can allow it, add a couple of inexpensive depth players and we could be in a much better shape than what meets the eye.

The draft will be our saving grace, if we can grab Byard or Mills at S and Sean Davis at CB Ed Reed can really mold those guys into "Darby" type game changers. Was not a fan of the Rex hire and Im still not but, he does have a knack for drafting CBs more hits then misses in the higher rounds

Edited by Marty McFly

Learning Rex's scheme is like learning how to read hieroglyphics... You think many rookies are going to have an immediate impact defensively?

I think it mostly depends on THE rookie, not the fact that they ARE rookies. Yes, you do have to be on the more intelligent side of players, but most top guys are, anyways. We had a rookie play at rookie of the year level, at a position that is typically seen as taking a while to transition from college to the pros. Rex's system will not be what stops a rookie from catching on and contributing.

Learning Rex's scheme is like learning how to read hieroglyphics... You think many rookies are going to have an immediate impact defensively?

I bet there's a sample size that could be looked at if you want to back up your assertion in a way that would make it worth discussing.

I bet there's a sample size that could be looked at if you want to back up your assertion in a way that would make it worth discussing.

The example that makes me think it's unlikely that a rookie LB/S can excel in Rex D is Calvin Pryor.

My top players for that draft without regard to position:

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Aaron Donald

3. Zach Martin

4. Calvin Pryor

I thought Pryor was a sure thing superstar safety and would excel as a rookie for the Jets........a steal where they got him because of the value of the safety positions in RR defense.

He was just awful as a rookie in Rex D.

This year he was excellent and he is back on a potential All Pro trajectory.

When a player that talented can't be at least solid as a rookie....well you might as well figure on redshirting your rookie S/LB's.

I know we assume that Duke/Stanford types will be smart enough to transition into any D....so a guy like Chris Cash is a popular mock pick but I have a feeling they will have to reach to get him and I think even then he may stink as a rookie and wind up being a regrettable scheme reach.

How quickly rookies transition greatly depend on when they sign (hold outs have long transitions) and what mentors they can find on team. If a rookie LB was taken under wing by Manny Lawson I think he could transition quickly.

AJ Tarpley is a Stanford guy....presumably having proven capable of intense study and he had about 6 months to learn the system and practice before he had to take meaningful snaps........and he was still completely lost until the very end of the season.

You could say his MENTAL mistakes cost the Bills the Chiefs game.

You can't be losing games because of rookie mistakes........and that is what you are asking for when starting a rookie LB/S in Rex scheme.

There is a difference between a player studying by myself and a player being mentored and working in substitute packages.

Keep in mind that

A) Manny Lawson might not be able to find a reserve role on any other team........but he has a starting gig here and is occupied with the ever changing Rex weekly gameplan.......so why is he going to go that far out of his way to train a replacement?

B) The Bills have the largest coaching staff in the NFL........so these players aren't without the attention of professionals whose job it is to teach/prepare them.

And unfortunately that's what will happen due to lack of cap to sign many FA's.

If they reach for defensive needs in the draft......yes.

But I still think they can bring in a grizzled vet or two in the next few months who can assimilate the defense quickly and be a significant contributor.......the key hurdles are understanding concepts and then buying in.

But even if they don't do that I think they can be better than last years D with what they have.

Rex D in NY actually got worse as it got more physically talented.

This draft is pretty heavy on D talent and I want them to come back with a few nice players for the future but I really hope they don't need much starting time out of the rookie class.

Other than moving Marcel to 5/3 tech, moving Lawson to ILB is the move that needs to get done. That could hangs based on the draft, but this draft is weak at ILB. Will darron Lee fall to us? Do we take a chance on Ragland being able to play 3 downs? Other than those 2 ILBs, I'm not sure any in this draft would be able to make the same jnoact lawson would playing opposite brown. There are plenty of guys that could take Lawson's spot on the outside.

Darron Lee is currently my ideal pick at 19 due too his coverage ability and lack of ILBs in this draft. Plenty of DL to go around in rd 2-4, I'd rather not drsft one at 19 unless it's a true NT that can move marcel too the end

Oz motions, indeed

Oz motions means going from one place to another when there seems to be a barrier to doing so. Which is a good description for Rex's defense where sack artists cover Odell Beckham instead.

It comes from the Wizard of Oz where characters like the good and bad with, the Wizard and even Toto would show up in places where you didn't think they should be. The ultimate example was Dorothy clicking her red shoes together and going back to Kansas.

I got 2 more for u I'm tired of seeing CBs playing safety so please make Graham a corner again and Marcel needs to play 5/3tech spots. We're wasting his talent at NT when he can be a menace at those other spots

Agree on Dareus, I think the plan is to draft a start ready NT/DT that can eat up the double teams while Marcell goes to town on the QB

I know we assume that Duke/Stanford types will be smart enough to transition into any D....so a guy like Chris Cash is a popular mock pick but I have a feeling they will have to reach to get him and I think even then he may stink as a rookie and wind up being a regrettable scheme reach.

Easy with the conflation there ;)