Scarborough and Republicans getting economic religion?

TPS

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try my friend, I said try. It is indeed hard to find a lot of everyday products made here. I do however buy all my tools, supplies, plywood made in this country, or the very least made in Canada.

I'm saddened by the mentality of many of our citizens... They'll spend 150-200/ month on coffee, but meltdown when gas is 2 a gallon or toaster is more than 2.99 at Walmart. We have a nation of fiscally stupid people, it's no wonder our government is screwed up as well.

Because it tastes better and I'm not talking about Starbucks.

You make the call:

You own a duplex and have rented to the same family for fifteen years. They are very good tenants and always pay on time. It is a man and a women who are getting up there in years and are living on their pensions. But in the last five years a new university branch opened up and there are now a whole bunch of college students looking for places to live and rents have tripled in the area. You are sure you can get three times as much in rent now but not from the old couple. What do you do?

Edited by gatorman

You make the call:

You own a duplex and have rented to the same family for fifteen years. They are very good tenants and always pay on time. It is a man and a women who are getting up there in years and are living on their pensions. But in the last five years a new university branch opened up and there are now a whole bunch of college students looking for places to live and rents have tripled in the area. You are sure you can get three times as much in rent now but not from the old couple. What do you do?

What country am I in that these people have pensions?

USA

How much per month do they get from their pensions?

How much is the rent they currently pay?

How much is the rent going to be if it increases?

What is their total monthly budget?

When does their rental contract expire?

Define 'getting up there in years'.

Are they healthy? Any history of health problems?

You make the call:

What's the cash flow on the duplex now? How positive?

What are my income needs?

Where is this duplex?

What are the prospects of renting to people other than students? I would never rent to students BTW

How many other properties do I own?

Personally I sell the property and get out of the landlord business.

:lol: And they have pensions?

I kick them out. The government taxes me because they insist THEY have to take care of old people. So let the government take care of them.

Exactly. And then I'd sell the apartment house for a huge profit and then let the new landlord get vilified for having to raise the rents to pay for his nice fat new mortgage he put on the property.

You make the call:

I'd let the older couple stay, mainly because rents in the area would have to more than triple to cover the increased cost of maintenance & upkeep by letting a bunch of college kids live there.

Good answer!

but HAARP? and tarp? and morgage fat cats!

As Scarborough states, it's a con that has come home to bite the Republican establishment bit time. My favorite moment of the race so far, having Romney--the epitome of the Rep establishment--attack Trump. These guys are really stoopid....

who is scarborough? seriously. who is he?

US manufacturing output is at an all time high. The problem is not that we're not making anything, the problem is that Mr. Roboto is taking many of the jobs in manufacturing.

No one in the US wants to make most of what is made in China.

say it enough it makes it true. but youre wrong

who the hell spends $150 a month on coffee?

gigantic women who waddle themselves into work at the hospital each day with 4.95 worth of diabetes liquid from Starbucks. I can only guess they do it on the weekends too, in lieu of dieting or exercising.

Idiots indeed.

You make the call:

Tripled? Your example scenario isn't realistic.

That's the thesis of "What's the matter with Kansas"

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Matter-Kansas-Conservatives-America/dp/080507774X

I read this book a few years ago. I highly recommend it.

As a college Junior in Economics 101 in an Economics department led by Dick Armey I bought in to the whole trickle down thing. Sounds great on paper.

After observing econimics in action for the last 30+ years I've determined it to be BS. When a rich persons gets a windfall, the LAST thing they wanna do is hire someone. So the schmucks never get a piece of it. When a poor or middle class person gets a windfall, they spend it which stimulates the economy.

So my theory is trickle up Economics would work a lot better. People spending more creates new demand creating new jobs, Not the other way around.

Edited by reddogblitz

I read this book a few years ago. I highly recommend it.

As a college Junior in Economics 101 in an Economics department led by Dick Armey I bought in to the whole trickle down thing. Sounds great on paper.

After observing econimics in action for the last 30+ years I've determined it to be BS. When a rich persons gets a windfall, the LAST thing they wanna do is hire someone. So the schmucks never get a piece of it. When a poor or middle class person gets a windfall, they spend it which stimulates the economy.

So my theory is trickle up Economics would work a lot better. People spending more creates new demand creating new jobs, Not the other way around.

Someone didn't pay attention in Economics class...

Let's throw out science and go with gut feelings. It's much better. Why does the left so consistently follow their emotions over logic and reason?

"Regardless of Kansas' economic performance, Mr. Frank's main thesis--that people who are struggling economically should be voting as liberals, not conservatives--is dubious. As an editorial in the Wichita Eagle observed: "There's nothing wrong with many Kansans wanting to hold onto a little more of their paychecks . . . or preferring that when they need help it comes from their family, their church, their community--not an intrusive federal government." But what's really astounding is that Mr. Frank, who offers little in the way of economic data, would base his argument on such blatant falsehoods. To Mr. Frank's liberal prejudices, something may be the matter with Kansas, but it sure isn't its economy."

By the reviews, most (unbiased) people can't get through the first chapter without choking on the liberal propaganda. Maybe if the author had presented data instead of rhetoric...

Basically, his argument is: "why would people not vote to give themselves free #$@!?"

Edited by unbillievable