Report: Fitzy to hit the market

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone will pay Fitz. Without decent QB play, Jets/Broncos/Rams are going nowhere. He's head-and-shoulders better than anyone available. Do the Jets win more than 4 games with Geno last year?

Well, they won 8 with him in 2013

I could be wrong, but per OvertheCap, the Rams actually have $6M guaranteed tied up in Foles this year - his roster bonus is guaranteed whether or not they keep him? giving them a $8M dead money cap hit if they were to part ways.

On the one hand, they have a huge amount of cap space having dumped Cook, Long, and Lauranitis. So they could keep Foles, but add Fitz and let them fight it out, and even add a rookie.

On the other hand, having gutted a bunch of players off the D, they may not want to be going anywhere. They may look at themselves as in rebuilding mode, in which case they are better off with a worse record next year so they draft higher.

I suppose it depends upon what they really think of Foles and for that matter, what Fisher's timeline is with the team.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't know, I think he's better than a number of QBs who will be starting next year.

I'd say he's on par with a number of other low end starters and high end backups, but then the question because potential and money. No one is going to pay 33 year old noodle-arm Fitz like a highly regarded vet or like a young star with upside. IMO a journeymen like Hoyer would probably do just as well with the Jets offensive talent as did Fitz.

The article above nails it -- there's really no other place for him to go as a starter. Elway is going to refuse to pay Osweiler $16+ a year but give Fitz that kind of money? The Browns new group is going to pay Fitz two or three times what they would have to pay another FA vet to break in their new rookie QB? I just don't see it.

@Albertbreer

As for the Jets, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick knows where they stand. Their offer is a little better than what Chase Daniel got in Philly.

So reportedly, Daniel's offer was $21M over 3 years, $12M guaranteed. $3M in roster bonus and $3M in signing bonus this year, plus $1M guaranteed salary this year and $5M next year.

I think a bit more than that is probably a good offer for Fitz. It pays him like what he is - a high class backup, he's definitely shown more than Daniel (that's a two edge sword as others have pointed out: more good, and more bad). If the Jets are thinking about trading for Hoyer, they really ought to think about upping their offer to Fitz a bit first. Fitz > Hoyer.

I can't blame Fitz for wanting to be paid like a lower-tier starter, but then a lot of these contracts that average more $$ (like Foles) pile it on in the last year. And it's a point too that players like Dalton have done something Fitz hasn't - gone to playoffs.

That would actually be a good strategy for the Jets - offer Fitz a bit more than Daniel with performance incentives the 1st 2 years, and a big payoff but no dead money the 3rd year.

Edited by Hopeful

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25512494/report-broncos-talking-to-fitzpatrick-in-case-they-cant-land-kaepernick

According to NFL Network's Mike Silver, who previously reported the Broncos are trying to engineer a trade for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, the Broncos are also speaking with Fitzpatrick in case they fail to work out a deal with the 49ers.