Why not utilize the penalty box for the NFL

D521646

Seriously, why not have a 5min penalty box for first personal foul/unsportmanlike, or unnecessary roughness penalties with the 2nd infraction costing you 10 minutes and third game misconduct? Actually have a box and the infracting player must sit in it and cannot join their team until the time is done? Of course you still lose the 15 yards etc.. Think about it. Talib's facemask only cost Denver what 2 yards in the SB.. But it could have cost the other player his career..

They say they want to protect players.. Well then try something different.

Tim-

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why not have a 5min penalty box for first personal foul/unsportmanlike, or unnecessary roughness penalties with the 2nd infraction costing you 10 minutes and third game misconduct? Actually have a box and the infracting player must sit in it and cannot join their team until the time is done? Of course you still lose the 15 yards etc.. Think about it. Talib's facemask only cost Denver what 2 yards in the SB.. But it could have cost the other player his career..

Tim-

Is that, out of the box thinking ?

Maybe they could do pushups too.

Not a bad idea really in all honesty.

Penalizes the team in a stronger and immediate fashion. Sure they can sub in a lesser player. Buts that's were it gets tricky

Tim-

Could you be more specific about the 5 minute penalty? Is it 5 minutes game clock time, on the side of the ball you play, can you come back out if a certain thing happens like the other team scores?

If a player can make a big play getting a penalty it will be worth it to the player and the team but it is a little better than current situation; there is no way the NFL would allow playing without a player like in hockey.

That is what I am trying to figure out. I think they mean sit and can't play BUT still play 11 on 11.

???

That is what I am trying to figure out. I think they mean sit and can't play BUT still play 11 on 11.

???

Yes, sorry wasn't specific. Still 11 on 11 but generally that sub player is a sub for a reason.

And even if the other team scores the players sits for the full 5 minutes of clock time.

Tim-

Yes, sorry wasn't specific. Still 11 on 11 but generally that sub player is a sub for a reason.

And even if the other team scores the players sits for the full 5 minutes of clock time.

Tim-

I expected that was your meaning.

I think it's worth chewing on some more honestly !

Maybe for a pass interference greater than 20 yards?

I can only see it for particularly violent penalties: roughing the passer, unnecessary roughness or personal fouls. Can be for holding or interference because whole lines would be sitting in the box.

But I love the idea.

Tim-

so Jerry Hughes pats his teammate on the head, the ref screws up and we lose our best defensive player for 5 minutes, maybe longer. Get real. Sorry, but a dumb idea that would get you laughed out of the room if you brought it up.

The one that I disagree with is when an offense gains a first down and there is an after the play personal foul. They back the team up 15 yards, but, it's 1st & 10. Should be 1st & 25.

Not to cause a ruckus... 1 & 25? Wouldn't that be like taking OJ's name off The Wall of Fame @ TheRalph? That heinous "personal foul episode" was 20 years after the fact.

NO need to get nasty on me YourBeerness, just the facts against my filterless & tacky analogy. :-P

so Jerry Hughes pats his teammate on the head, the ref screws up and we lose our best defensive player for 5 minutes, maybe longer. Get real. Sorry, but a dumb idea that would get you laughed out of the room if you brought it up.

Good point... TheNFL could "push" even more games easily! Edited by ExiledInIllinois