We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

not sure how your getting $37 mil

Russel Wilson got 4yr/ $87.6 mil ($22 mil/yr ave). I think TT is getting Osweiller money ($18 mil/yr)

Glenn is not signing a long term deal for less than $14 mil/yr

Gilmore is not signing a long term deal for less than $13 mil/yr

that totals $45 - 49 mil/yr (not $37)

I have each of Glenn and Gilmore's cap numbers at $11.5M based on this:

Gilmore

5-year, $65.5M, $32.5M guaranteed

Base Signing Total Dead

2016 2 6.5 8.5 32.5

2017 5 6.5 11.5 26

2018 6 6.5 12.5 19.5

2019 8 6.5 14.5 13

2020 12 6.5 18.5 6.5

Glenn

5-year, $67.5M, $35M guaranteed

Base Signing Total Dead

2016 3.5 7 10.5 35

2017 4.5 7 11.5 28

2018 5.5 7 12.5 21

2019 6.5 7 13.5 14

2020 12.5 7 19.5 7

And I see no reason why either guy wouldn't sign for that--that's fair market value for certain.

I figured Taylor would be something like this:

Taylor

5-year, $100M, $40M guaranteed

Base Signing Total Dead

2016 8 8 16 40

2017 9 8 17 32

2018 12 8 20 24

2019 14 8 22 16

2020 17 8 25 8

That would be 11.5+11.5+16 = $39M, so I was about $2M low.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they didn't. They put themselves in a situation where they are retaining their own great players by drafting well. Which is where you want to spend your money. This is how it happens when your successful.

Last year they went all sick in FA.

This year it IS about keeping your own AND developing the team through the draft. I think you guys are not so far apart in your thinking honestly

:D

I realize this is a little off the mainstream of the thread

but

What if Paxton Lynch does in fact fall and the bills do in fact select him

We still follow the above plan with Tyrod?

Not what I want but having 2 quality QBs on the roster is never a bad thing

Of course you would! EJM comes off the books next year so a QB had best be on the horizon who can at least Back up TT if not surpass him.

your choice in Lynch might be in question, but that is for you QB experts, not me.

No they didn't. They put themselves in a situation where they are retaining their own great players by drafting well. Which is where you want to spend your money. This is how it happens when your successful.

Really? So spending big on Clay, Harvin and Shady didn't contribute significantly to the current cap crunch? And how exactly have the Bills been "successful"?

@salmaiorana

Whaley doesn’t foresee the need to restructure any more contracts at this time. He does want to get Glenn, Gilmore deals extended

There's really not much left that can be done. They could get a little out of Eric Wood's deal, but he's only signed through 2017 so they'd probably have to extend him to get much relief. I don't know that they really want to do that.

Really? So spending big on Clay, Harvin and Shady didn't contribute significantly to the current cap crunch? And how exactly have the Bills been "successful"?

There's really not much left that can be done. They could get a little out of Eric Wood's deal, but he's only signed through 2017 so they'd probably have to extend him to get much relief. I don't know that they really want to do that.

They just need to extend those 2 and it will free up another $4 or $5M.

They just need to extend those 2 and it will free up another $4 or $5M.

True. My comment was only meant to refer to restructures, but rereading it I see it was misleading. Yes, you're correct about seeing a cap savings of about $4M-$5M if Glenn and Gilmore get long term deals. There's just nowhere left to get immediate cap relief with restructures though.

Edited by BarleyNY

• 2 weeks later...

They also don't have a QB or LT signed for 2017 and they'll need a long term deal for Watkins and Gilmore by that point too.

Saying you've got 50M in space for 2017 is extremely misleading.

Something tells me other people will be addressing these contracts when the time comes.

They also don't have a QB or LT signed for 2017 and they'll need a long term deal for Watkins and Gilmore by that point too.

Saying you've got 50M in space for 2017 is extremely misleading.

Something tells me other people will be addressing these contracts when the time comes.

Bandit has done it a few times. The Bills will have roughly $7M (I think is his number) in cap space after signing Glenn, Gilmore, Taylor, draft picks and restricted FAs. Basically $7M in cap space to go get a couple of guys.

Obviously, if they don't keep all of those guys there is significantly more space but more needs.

Bandit has done it a few times. The Bills will have roughly $7M (I think is his number) in cap space after signing Glenn, Gilmore, Taylor, draft picks and restricted FAs. Basically $7M in cap space to go get a couple of guys.

Obviously, if they don't keep all of those guys there is significantly more space but more needs.

Vet doesnt want to hear that......takes away from his piss in the punch bowl

BillsVet is also wrong on the Watkins point. Sammy's rookie deal runs through 2017 and they still have the team option 5th year for 2018. They don't NEED to give Sammy a big deal until 2019, they may wish to do it for 2018 to lower the hit on the 5th year option as they are trying currently with Gilmore.

The cap space for 2017 is, as Bandit and Kirby and others have described, sufficient to sign Gilmore, Glenn and Tyrod if needs be and still not be as tight as this year is. There are also some pretty easy cuts that free up other bits of money. Cutting Kouandjio, Felton and Easley would save us about $3.3m, cutting Carpenter would save us another $2.4m and that is before the more significant savings that could come from Kyle - $6.8m (which is more than possible depending how he comes back from injury and plays / fits in the scheme this year) and Wood - $4.5m (which is probably less likely).

So if we made those 4 "easier" cuts and did the deals Bandit suggests with Glenn, Gilmore and TT we would have under contract:

Our starting QB

Our top 2 running backs

Our starting LT, LG, C, RG and current starting RT (who may or not be upgraded)

Our #1 WR (though Dez Lewis would be the only other WR under contract)

Our starting TE

Our starting DTs

Our 1 starting DE (there is currently a hole the other side which they will look to the draft to address)

1 current starting LB

Our top 2 corners and our starting nickel

Our two starting safeties

That is not the worst position in the world to be in is it? Given that by then there will be 2 draft classes to supplement it and we would have a little bit of money for a couple of mid-range FAs.

Edited by GunnerBill

Here's the link to my projection for ease of reference:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183724-spotrac-manage-roster-tool-2016-bills-salary-cap/page-10?do=findComment&comment=3908006