We have the worst cap situation in the league?

Virgil

Clay was structured so the Dolphins could not match the 1st year salary...the contract was made to be restructured in the 2nd year....Overdorf actually did a great job with that contract

So why does it have more guaranteed $$$ than any Quarterback contract not being paid to someone still on their rookie deal (pre-Bradford)?

The structure of the deal I can live with the guaranteed element I can't.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why does it have more guaranteed $$$ than any Quarterback contract not being paid to someone still on their rookie deal (pre-Bradford)?

The structure of the deal I can live with the guaranteed element I can't.

I don't know.

The Clay doesn't bother me that much. Like the QB position, we haven't had a quality player at that position for a while. So when they had their shot, they took it.

Yeah, the injuries are a concern, but we also saw his playmaker ability as well. Also, in this cap world, 8 mil is like 5 mil only a few years back.

It's a gamble that may or may not pay off, but I'll applaud the effort

That $13M has to cover Richie, the draft and RFAs

Draft picks don't really become a consideration until May at the earliest, and I would assume that the $5.5M to sign them is going to come from Gilmore/Glenn extensions.

Richie, the RFAs, and a key FA or two are the main focus at the moment.

3/8 Bills down to $7.2M cap space after RFA tenders.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

Yeah. Signing Gilmore and Glenn to long term deals would help a great deal in both immediate cap relief and long term talent retention.

Draft picks don't really become a consideration until May at the earliest, and I would assume that the $5.5M to sign them is going to come from Gilmore/Glenn extensions.

Richie, the RFAs, and a key FA or two are the main focus at the moment.

Yes. The Bills' rookie pool is right at $5M, but under the Rule of 51 we will see 6 players fall out of the top 51 when those draftees are signed. Those removed salaries will be about $500k each, so the effective cap space the Bills will need to sign their picks only will be about $2M. $5M-(6*$500k)=$2M. That's good news. Edited by BarleyNY

Yeah. Signing Gilmore and Glenn to long term deals would help a great deal in both immediate cap relief and long term talent retention.

Yes. The Bills' rookie pool is right at $5M, but under the Rule of 51 we will see 6 players fall out of the top 51 when those draftees are signed. Those removed salaries will be about $500k each, so the effective cap space the Bills will need to sign their picks only will be about $2M. $5M-(6*$500k)=$2M. That's good news.

I hear you...in truth, it actually depends on a few things. I'm assuming (based on the 8.3% increase in RFA tenders from 2015), that each draft pick will get an 8.3% bump from last year's draft slot contract. Here were the 1st-year cap hits for the guys drafted where Buffalo is picking this year:

Cam Erving (19) - $1.71M

Mitch Morse (49) - $0.85M

Alex Carter (80) - $0.55M

Jamil Douglas (114) - $0.55M

Karlos Williams (155) - $0.49M

B.J. Dubose (193) - $0.45M

If you add up those numbers, plus 8.3%, it comes out to ~$4.98M. If we assume that the bottom two picks don't displace anyone, then we're looking at $3.98M in cap room to sign rookies. Technically, some of that will be displaced when lower-tier guys drop out of the top-51, but contract structure and guaranteed money has a lot to do with it too.

I hear you...in truth, it actually depends on a few things. I'm assuming (based on the 8.3% increase in RFA tenders from 2015), that each draft pick will get an 8.3% bump from last year's draft slot contract. Here were the 1st-year cap hits for the guys drafted where Buffalo is picking this year:

Cam Erving (19) - $1.71M

Mitch Morse (49) - $0.85M

Alex Carter (80) - $0.55M

Jamil Douglas (114) - $0.55M

Karlos Williams (155) - $0.49M

B.J. Dubose (193) - $0.45M

If you add up those numbers, plus 8.3%, it comes out to ~$4.98M. If we assume that the bottom two picks don't displace anyone, then we're looking at $3.98M in cap room to sign rookies. Technically, some of that will be displaced when lower-tier guys drop out of the top-51, but contract structure and guaranteed money has a lot to do with it too.

http://overthecap.com/draft/

Using your methodology the four pertinent players from 2015 add up to $3.66M. As you noted, the bottom two wouldn't displace anyone. (1.71+.85+.55+.55) Adding 8.3% we get $3.96M. At this time those four would displace players making $525k each. $3.96M-(525k*4)=$3.96M-$2.1M=$1.86M. The Bills draft picks would actually only require $1.86M in effective cap space. That is precisely what I calculated.

Edited by BarleyNY

It was interesting that Littman walked as soon as the sale was done. Overdorf isn't perfect... but for a team that now has a roster that is pretty talented he is doing a decent enough job at managing the cap - Charles Clay apart.

A decent job, even the unbiased pros think that the Bills have totally screwed up their cap situation.

http://overthecap.com/bills-2016-offseason-preview/

http://overthecap.com/draft/

Using your methodology the four pertinent players from 2015 add up to $3.66M. As you noted, the bottom two wouldn't displace anyone. (1.71+.85+.55+.55) Adding 8.3% we get $3.96M. At this time those four would displace players making $525k each. $3.96M-(525k*4)=$3.96M-$2.1M=$1.86M. The Bills draft picks would actually only require $1.86M in effective cap space. That is precisely what I calculated.

Right....I actually wasn't disagreeing with you. I was merely saying that contract structure could potentially change the cap figures this year, and showing the numbers.

A decent job, even the unbiased pros think that the Bills have totally screwed up their cap situation.

http://overthecap.com/bills-2016-offseason-preview/

2 things: (1) I didn't once see in that entire piece any mention of the situation being totally screwed up. In fact, they really didn't mention anyone that the team would be unable to keep. (2) If they somehow do believe that the situation is totally screwed up, then they're talking out of both sides of the mouth, since they're advocating for restructuring Dareus' and Kyle's contracts to push cap hit further down the road.

The bottom line is that the team has limited space this year due to commitments that they made last offseason. The approach was that this would be an offseason to extend key players and keep their own.

Heading into 2017, they'll have close to $60M in cap space, which is decent considering that that amount doesn't include new contracts for Gilmore, Glenn, Richie/FA guard, or Taylor. Seems like when all is said and done, and you add in the draft picks from this year and a key FA or two, they'll be ~$10M under the cap before they part ways with Kyle Williams and Corey Graham (which is likely coming next offseason), which would add another $10M.

Right....I actually wasn't disagreeing with you. I was merely saying that contract structure could potentially change the cap figures this year, and showing the numbers.

That's actually why I used the current rookie pool estimate in my original example. That's the most cap space they can use on rookies so they're bound by that.