Should the Bills tag Glenn?

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Glenn be tagged if no long term deal is reached?

• Yes, exclusive rights tag
    • Yes, non-exclusive tag
    • Yes, transitional tag
    • No, but continue to try to sign him long term
    • No, let him walk

NBD from me. Do think about this though. If the Bills get a true 2-gap NT to play the middle. Dareus can focus on pass rushing. I personally think he's good enough to be a force on the edge. He's a 5 technique DT as it is, so vastly under utilized.

Idk that this thread is the place for this arguement but I keep seeing people saying the same thing. "Getting a true 2 gap NT will free up Dareus"

I just don't think that is true. He will still, on many occasions, be asked to play with two gap responsibility.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk that this thread is the place for this arguement but I keep seeing people saying the same thing. "Getting a true 2 gap NT will free up Dareus"

I just don't think that is true. He will still, on many occasions, be asked to play with two gap responsibility.

Here's why I say that. Disruptive, pass rushing DT's in the NFL make bank. Suh made bank. Dareus got a $100m deal. Guys that are just 2-gap run stuffers at most get $5-6m a year if they're the premier player doing that. That Jets DT Harrison won't likely get a deal around $5m per year. He's never going to be anything but a run stuffer. Dareus is paid like he's meant to do more than be a guy like Harrison or Wilfork. Those guys are just meat in the middle. You're right as well. That discussion probably in a different thread.

Edited by Luxy312

Everyone on this website is always trying to prove themselves the ultimate football intellect by telling everyone how important the offensive line is. Well now we have an elite player at the most important position on the offensive line and some of those very same people appear to be undervaluing him. You pay the guy whatever it takes. Period, end of story. Tag him, pay him now, whatever. As long as he continues to wear a Bills uniform.

Lets see.

We finally have a QB who possibly can carry the team well enough. We have a run oriented OC who lead the league in that Dept. and we are thinking of breaking up that sweet assed left side of center?

Its business of course for BB but anyone who wants to nickel and dime Cordy has not been watching him since he was drafted.

Retain what you develop. Shame he is rated so highly. arrrggghh you people

: )

NBD from me. Do think about this though. If the Bills get a true 2-gap NT to play the middle. Dareus can focus on pass rushing. I personally think he's good enough to be a force on the edge. He's a 5 technique DT as it is, so vastly under utilized.

He was it's true. that 3-4 DE would be fine with a stout standing over center or there abouts

of course he is a big boy and should be asked to do just that

For those in favor of keeping Mario and letting Glenn go, can you explain your reasoning?

Glenn is young and has basically gotten better every year. Mario is in the twilight of his career and seemingly played without any heart last season. You could argue that he detracted from the defense last year with his public whining.

nail on the head.

Mario in his prime vs Glenn no win his prime for the same price it is a no brainier. This just is not the case.

Everyone on this website is always trying to prove themselves the ultimate football intellect by telling everyone how important the offensive line is. Well now we have an elite player at the most important position on the offensive line and some of those very same people appear to be undervaluing him. You pay the guy whatever it takes. Period, end of story. Tag him, pay him now, whatever. As long as he continues to wear a Bills uniform.

I don't think I'd put Glenn at "elite" but if you allow him his down year in 2014 (and I think we all should knowing that he had major invasive surgery just before the season and missed camp) he is solidly a top 10 left tackle who has a lot of his best football ahead of him at 26 and I agree there is no way the Bills should let him walk. I was never in the crowd who thought getting him for $9-10 million was likely. I have always thought we were looking $11.5m a year up. I was in favour of letting Levitre and Byrd walk rather than throwing big money at them.... but left tackle of the 6 most important positions on a football team in my estimation and if you have to pay maybe the 7th or 8th best LT in the league top 3 LT money to keep him then you do it. Another thing that should be factored into that is Glenn has hardly missed any games. He has been durable and probably played in pain in 2014.

The Bills are mad if they let him go.

I honestly dont understand all of the logistics of the tag

If we Franchise Tag Glenn.....dont we actually have to have the cap available RIGHT THEN to tag him?

Because as it stands....we dont?

IIRC the magic date is March 1. On that date, they have to be able to fit everybody under contract within whatever the cap figure turns out to be for the new season.

IIRC the magic date is March 1. On that date, they have to be able to fit everybody under contract within whatever the cap figure turns out to be for the new season.

It's actually the start of the new league year, which is March 9th this year.

Here's a handy guide:

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Important-Dates-for-2016-NFL-Calendar-Year/d5115a2e-9cf6-4b44-b15d-e75e83ffb7b7

It is interesting. Glenn, if tagged would get 13.5 million. If he does get tagged there is no guarantee he signs after this season. Do the Bills gamble and let Glenn walk? It all rests on a lot of moves to get this team in cap room, some moves need to be made soon.

It would make sense to me, intuitively, if they agree to deals in principle with guys like Richie and Glenn before making their roster moves. If they can do so, they'll know exactly what needs to be done prior to March 9th.

I would wager that certain guys (i.e. Kyle Williams, maybe Corey Graham as well) hang in the balance.

Its tricky

I would only want them to use it if they publicly say they are close to an extension

CBF

The tag isn't for teams that are close to signing an extension. The tag is for teams forcing players to stick around. It's a means of control. You use extreme measures, like the tag, when things are NOT going your way. That is why teams can only use the tag a minimal number of times on any one player and only one player at a time.

It is interesting. Glenn, if tagged would get 13.5 million. If he does get tagged there is no guarantee he signs after this season. Do the Bills gamble and let Glenn walk? It all rests on a lot of moves to get this team in cap room, some moves need to be made soon.

This is precisely why as someone else suggested, the transition tag be used.

It would make sense to me, intuitively, if they agree to deals in principle with guys like Richie and Glenn before making their roster moves. If they can do so, they'll know exactly what needs to be done prior to March 9th.

I would wager that certain guys (i.e. Kyle Williams, maybe Corey Graham as well) hang in the balance.

True. Sad, but true. Do Rex and Whaley gut the defense of vets and save $24 million by cutting Mario, McKlovin, Corey and Kyle?

I would hate to see it happen, but it is business and football teams have to evolve.

True. Sad, but true. Do Rex and Whaley gut the defense of vets and save $24 million by cutting Mario, McKlovin, Corey and Kyle?

I would hate to see it happen, but it is business and football teams have to evolve.

I think McKelvin will take a pay cut to stay...Lawson may do the same. Mario is obviously gone, but I think the choice will come down to Graham or Kyle. One probably has to go.

I think McKelvin will take a pay cut to stay...Lawson may do the same. Mario is obviously gone, but I think the choice will come down to Graham or Kyle. One probably has to go.

I think if Lawson stays on less money watch for him playing inside next year. I thought the defense looked a lot more organised the last few weeks of the season once they were forced by injuries to move him inside. If they can't get a FA vet it would not surprise me for him to play more inside next year for his experience even if physically he is a less than ideal fit.

Edited by GunnerBill

I guess it depends on how important you think he is. I think he is very important and think the team dies too. If not, two first round picks for him is interesting.

It allows the market to identify Glenn's value if the two sides can't agree. However you could find yourself in a Charles Clay type of situation.

You do not get any compensation under the transition tag. That would be the non exclusive franchise tag.

Edited by Triple Threat