McCoy's nightclub fight and the ongoing investigation

lowghen

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he will get convicted of a felony. If he was, I bet the Pegulas would have no problem cutting him. He's a good RB, for sure, but his performance wasn't vital last year--not as a "franchise RB". No one knows yet if Carlos is that guy.

Labeling Karlos as a guy who can't stay healthy is a stretch given McCoy only played 12 games this season.

I think they'd seriously consider cutting him if he were to be convicted, but cap constraints might ultimately decide it.

And I'd say he was important to the offense last year considering he was the leading rusher on a team that was 4th in the NFL in rushing, especially since Karlos wasn't able to handle the load himself. Whether he can in the future is anyone's guess but it would be foolhardy to go into the season hoping he does.

And the huge difference between Karlos and Shady WRT health is that was Karlos' first year in the NFL whereas Shady had missed just 5 games in 6 seasons prior to last year.

The concussions are bad enough. But when called upon to be the featured back, he stumbled. Again I think he's strictly a complementary RB.

I personally love the kid.....all rookies have work to do in pass protection.....he can turn the corner.....he gets extra yards and runs over people...he can catch.

For a player that made a positional switch....I dont think Karlos has reached his ceiling as a player.

but again....the concussions. Its concerning.

I heard he tried to throw a punch but couldn't connect...

he was originally asked by investigators to be an eyewitness, but they then realized his account of what took place was oddly too slow to match up with the timing provided by everyone else Edited by YoloinOhio

As far as the issue of how badly injured the police are the evidence will determine to what scale they actually are. I don't know for a fact how injured they are, none of us commenting on this board do. You seem to presume that they are being exaggerated. My response is I don't know for sure. However, at this point (opinion) I do believe they meet the standard of aggravated assault.

What is going to determine their level of injuries are the medical reports. The police can make claims but it has to be supported by what the doctors say. On this issue the doctors will be the authoritative voice.If the presumptive defendants' lawyers challenge the medical reports they will do so with their own medical experts.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not the injuries meet the legal definition of aggravated assault in PA. I read GKG post with great interest on that point.

There will be the medical reports, but with the definition of aggravated assault evidently so dicey, there will be significant amounts of interpretation around them (what sort of force necessary to cause that injury, how debilitating is that injury, what is the usual course of recovery from that injury etc etc.

My sense of exaggeration is largely a reaction to the statements of FOP president McNesby who has been quoted as questioning whether the officers will be able to return to work and talking about "broken bones, eye sockets, fractured skulls" and to statements by Fortunato Perri Jr, representing one of the officers who likewise Perri says, "They suffered serious facial fractures and multiple bones in their faces. .... Perri said his client and the other injured officers may have suffered permanent injuries" .

All of the injuries listed in the complaint (#1: fractured ribs, nose, laceration, sprained thumb #2: laceration above eye, evaluation for skull fracture listed ~36 hrs post trauma) typically heal without complications such that a properly-treated patient can return to normal daily activities within a relatively short period of time, say 4 weeks, especially when the patient starts out able to drive himself for treatment.

But we'll see.

This will play out over an extended period of time. If charged with a felony and convicted, he will be cut by the Bills. That is the only thing I believe with some certainty. At this point, we do not even know whether he will be charged, and if charged, with what (felony vs. misdemeanor). McCoy has the funds to mount a vigorous defense and to make restitution to the victims. I do not think a felony conviction will be easy here, but we will see.

This will play out over an extended period of time. If charged with a felony and convicted, he will be cut by the Bills. That is the only thing I believe with some certainty. At this point, we do not even know whether he will be charged, and if charged, with what (felony vs. misdemeanor). McCoy has the funds to mount a vigorous defense and to make restitution to the victims. I do not think a felony conviction will be easy here, but we will see.

Video evidence is quite damning. Victim is on the ground, defenseless, with several guys on him. And then shady shows up and starts throwing haymakers at him.

Aggravated assault can be charged with intent and lesser injuries. The fact these men had to be stopped and pulled off this man on the ground shows intent to injure. The fact the man actually was injured more than bruises and cuts shows the depth of the beating. The intent initially was trying to rob a bottle of wine from these guys who have proof of ownership with a receipt. Just because it happened in a private club (bar), people want to label this a "bar fight". A bar fight is over a disagreement and the impairment leads to over-aggressiveness and a few punches or wrestling. It doesn't lead to an assault of 4 men beating 1 man after an attempt to take ones possessions. This will not be arguable, the intent to steal and injure happened, just the degree of the assault may slightly be in question because the assault was stopped in progress.

what are the chances there is enough to punish for 2016?

i fear that there will and could be initial punishment - four games - for 2016.

the legal matter will likely not be resolved in time for the season.

once a verdict is made i fear goodell trying to issue a further punishment.

Fire up the chair !! Let him fry !

lol seriously. people act like he ben rothlisbergered someone or ray riced a girl or cowboy hardy partied somebody. $hit.

I agree its probably a 4 gamer. Since we are not the Pats we wont get that down to 2 games even if Shady destroyed his fone....and the Bills destroyed their signal tapes.....and deflated their balls....well actually they did deflate the victims balls. they got !@#$ed up lol

Edited by Marty McFly

I don't think this will happen, Boyst. The players union argued successfully against a double-tier penalty in the case of Rice. The league will wait for the legal issues to settle (you are right, likely not before the season) then they will react with their own punishment 1x.

The thing to fear is the new NFL "exempt" list, invented by Goodell to deal with a situation like Greg Hardy or Adrian Peterson where the legal process is ongoing and the league doesn't want to punish yet, but the publicity is such that the NFL doesn't want the players on the field. This is a "double whammy" for the team - they have to afford the player FULL PAY and it counts against the cap, but they have to do without his services for a year.

The good news is that whacking or allegedly whacking wimmins and childs has the tar bubbling and the pitchforks sharp across the league. No one wants to see police officers beaten up but if a careful PR case is made that these were off-duty officers not identified as officers and the injuries were straightforward, I think people are more inclined to shrug about a bar brawl. I don't know if the Bills have the chops to orchestrate such a PR case in a fingerprintless way.

As for McCoy, why should he care? He could potentially get paid $5M guaranteed $$ for sitting on his ass whilst lawyers wrangle next year.

The intent initially was trying to rob a bottle of wine from these guys who have proof of ownership with a receipt.

Source? How do you know this?

I don't think this will happen, Boyst. The players union argued successfully against a double-tier penalty in the case of Rice. The league will wait for the legal issues to settle (you are right, likely not before the season) then they will react with their own punishment 1x.

The thing to fear is the new NFL "exempt" list, invented by Goodell to deal with a situation like Greg Hardy or Adrian Peterson where the legal process is ongoing and the league doesn't want to punish yet, but the publicity is such that the NFL doesn't want the players on the field. This is a "double whammy" for the team - they have to afford the player FULL PAY and it counts against the cap, but they have to do without his services for a year.

The good news is that whacking or allegedly whacking wimmins and childs has the tar bubbling and the pitchforks sharp across the league. No one wants to see police officers beaten up but if a careful PR case is made that these were off-duty officers not identified as officers and the injuries were straightforward, I think people are more inclined to shrug about a bar brawl. I don't know if the Bills have the chops to orchestrate such a PR case in a fingerprintless way.

As for McCoy, why should he care? He could potentially get paid $5M guaranteed $$ for sitting on his ass whilst lawyers wrangle next year.

Source? How do you know this?

double tier is the iffy part.

if the Bills suspend him for a few games or simply delist him for a while on exemption - could Goodell still suspend him like happened to Hardy and a few others I cannot think of right now?

double tier is the iffy part.

if the Bills suspend him for a few games or simply delist him for a while on exemption - could Goodell still suspend him like happened to Hardy and a few others I cannot think of right now?

Can the Bills put him on the "exempt" list? I thought that had to happen from the NFL end.

If the NFL puts him on this newfangled "exempt" list, yeah, Goodell can still suspend him once the legal stuff is sorted. I so do not like the "exempt" thing, I don't know why the owners are tolerating it in its present form, it's like "double whammy - you lose the services of your player, but yeah, you still get to pay him"