Man has copy of original CBS broadcast of SB 1 - NFL says FU

I believe the tape will enter the public domain in 2034. If I were him, I'd keep it until then, at which time there will actually be a market for the tape not dependent solely on the valuation of the NFL. It's hard to believe that the NFL is so greedy that it won't at least negotiate with the guy to try an obtain an invaluable piece of league history.

What is so special abut 2034?

Is that when the statue of permutations runs out?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the tape will enter the public domain in 2034. If I were him, I'd keep it until then, at which time there will actually be a market for the tape not dependent solely on the valuation of the NFL. It's hard to believe that the NFL is so greedy that it won't at least negotiate with the guy to try an obtain an invaluable piece of league history.

They did. They offered $30,000. He refused. When the NFL released a higher quality (but non broadcast) version of the game, they rescinded the offer.

This is a guy who thinks CBS should pay him $25,000 for his "story".

League is just full or horrible human beings. I wouldn't pizz on any of them if they were on fire, let them call a lawyer for that. The league just can't say "Hey, that's awesome you have the tape that we don't have of something we cherish. How about we buy it from you?" It's like someone calling and saying they have the only copy of your wedding tape and want to sell it to you for a dollar and you say "FU, we don't deal with terrorists." A dollar seems like a reasonable offer for your wedding tape and whatever this guy is asking for seems like a reasonable offer for a corporation that just yesterday signed a $900M, 2-year(?) deal for some Thursday night games.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to impact their power as more people tune it. Personally, didn't watch a single NFL non-Bills game this year except one quarter of the last Panthers game. I haven't watched the Super Bowl in a number of years. Die-hard Bills fan because it's connection to people and what games do for us as a community, ardent detester of the league, many of the players, and wasting 3.5 hours of my life to watch 12 minutes of game action and 3+ hours of commercials and stupid announcers.

I hope the NFL goes backwards. I hope the players sue their nuts off for concussions and health issues and they have to hit the reset button.

That's all for now!

League is just full or horrible human beings. I wouldn't pizz on any of them if they were on fire, let them call a lawyer for that. The league just can't say "Hey, that's awesome you have the tape that we don't have of something we cherish. How about we buy it from you?" It's like someone calling and saying they have the only copy of your wedding tape and want to sell it to you for a dollar and you say "FU, we don't deal with terrorists." A dollar seems like a reasonable offer for your wedding tape and whatever this guy is asking for seems like a reasonable offer for a corporation that just yesterday signed a $900M, 2-year(?) deal for some Thursday night games.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to impact their power as more people tune it. Personally, didn't watch a single NFL non-Bills game this year except one quarter of the last Panthers game. I haven't watched the Super Bowl in a number of years. Die-hard Bills fan because it's connection to people and what games do for us as a community, ardent detester of the league, many of the players, and wasting 3.5 hours of my life to watch 12 minutes of game action and 3+ hours of commercials and stupid announcers.

I hope the NFL goes backwards. I hope the players sue their nuts off for concussions and health issues and they have to hit the reset button.

That's all for now!

The guy decided it was worth a million bucks...why not 100 million bucks since they made 15 billion or something last year? The NFL didn't get where they are by being a charity. Answer this...what would the NFL monetarily have to gain having this video? A 22 minute video on the nfl network doesn't sell a ton of commercials. Did the guy counter after the NFL offered 30k?

The NFL might not be able to recoup its investment, but CBS could, by broadcasting the old tape and selling commercials. CBS would need the NFL's permission to do that, which might require CBS to send funds to the NFL. Maybe if the NFL made money on the deal, instead of spending it, they'd be more willing to let things move ahead.

Amen!

That's all for now!

AMEN!!!

Edited by NorthBuffaloKid

What is so special abut 2034?

Is that when the statue of permutations runs out?

Copyrighted Recordings that predate 1977 enter the public domain 67 years after publication if the Copyright holder maximizes its renewals of the copyright. That is where 2034 comes from.

Copyrighted Recordings that predate 1977 enter the public domain 67 years after publication if the Copyright holder maximizes its renewals of the copyright. That is where 2034 comes from.

It seems like this might be the best play for his guy now.

He clearly overplayed his hand when he demanded $1 million. With the 50th anniversary come and gone, the tape doesn't have much value.

I still don't get why the NFL is horrible for deciding they didn't want to pay $1 million dollars. There's no obligation for them to buy it. They just decided it wasn't worth that much and passed. Am I a bad guy when I decide to drive past McDonalds without stopping to buy something from them?

My google search turned up 95 years. But same thought.

I wonder if he could some mow monetize and sell the future rights to it.

I thought someone said that the NFL never bothered to copyright it at the time. In that case would he be subject to the statue of permutations? Can they copyright something ipso facto just because congress let's them have a monopoly?

My google search turned up 95 years. But same thought.

I wonder if he could some mow monetize and sell the future rights to it.

You might be right. The 67 years might be a renewal period that begins running after an initial term of 28 years, which = 95 years.

I thought someone said that the NFL never bothered to copyright it at the time. In that case would he be subject to the statue of permutations? Can they copyright something ipso facto just because congress let's them have a monopoly?

If they didn't copyright it the film would be in the public domain now and could be sold to anyone by anyone.

I don't understand why people think the NFL should pay him. He gave them an offer and they gave him one.

I still don't get why the NFL is horrible for deciding they didn't want to pay $1 million dollars. There's no obligation for them to buy it. They just decided it wasn't worth that much and passed. Am I a bad guy when I decide to drive past McDonalds without stopping to buy something from them?

Clearly you guys are missing the key point, which is any organization with more money than I think they should have (like the NFL) is evil and bad because they don't just hand out cash as if it was candy at Halloween.

:rolleyes:

Why 2034?

Edit: never mind, I saw I missed the answer.

Edited by Manther

That's all for now!

There is so much to love in this post.

First, they did offer more than a dollar for something this guy did nothing to earn.

Second, the "900M deal" will land (almost completely) in the pockets of the owners and players, not "the NFL".

Third, you don't seem to understand how the money is made and who makes it in the League. "The NFL" is just a front for the owners. It's their professional organization. Their administrative service. Don't like the NFL? Go yell at Terry Pegula.

Fourth, the opportunity for players to "sue the nuts off" has pretty much passed. The massive class action suit is being settled. Given current disclosure, it's hard to see how future suits would succeed.

And so, "ardent detester of the league", you still have your foot stomping. Enjoy your Sunday!

The guy decided it was worth a million bucks...why not 100 million bucks since they made 15 billion or something last year? The NFL didn't get where they are by being a charity. Answer this...what would the NFL monetarily have to gain having this video? A 22 minute video on the nfl network doesn't sell a ton of commercials. Did the guy counter after the NFL offered 30k?

Yet, they get tax exemption like a charity!

Clearly you guys are missing the key point, which is any organization with more money than I think they should have (like the NFL) is evil and bad because they don't just hand out cash as if it was candy at Halloween.

:rolleyes:

yup

Yet, they get tax exemption like a charity!

because they don't make money...the teams do. the nfl acts as a pass through. the teams pay taxes.

Agreed. Especially with the condition of the tape and the dubious nature of its ownership.

To play devil's advocate though if we go looking for another collectible of its rarity and notoriety we might consider T206 Honus Wagner which has sold from the high six digits to 2.8 mil.

And RG III cards are priced at $36,000

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/11-robert-griffin-2012-upper-deck-authentic-spectrum-baylor-logo-patch-auto-rc.html