Out of curiosity...say the Bills go on a Bengals type run

Billsfed

Let's pretend the Bills come out guns a blazin' in 2016...8-0. Then, the unthinkable happens. Just when it looks like they'll finally break the 16 year drought...Tyrod goes down with a season ending injury.

Now if this were to happen, at 8-0...how much confidence would you have in Manuel coming in and leading the Bills to a winning season and more importantly, success in the playoffs?

With Taylor I feel we can be very effective in the playoffs but certainly not dominating. And generally playoff teams kick it up a notch so i'd almost certainly have the old Fitzpatrick "waiting on the mistake to the game" feel to end our run.

For as strange as it sounds and for as unpopular as this may be...I think I'd like EJ a little better in this situation. I think there's no expectations. He'd have Ryan in his ear believing in him which I think is important for EJ. I also think he wouldn't blow the whole deal out of proportion...in the same way a young Brady didn't in his first few years.

For as many that have thrown in the towel on Manuel i'm not there yet, if Taylor plays well and doesn't get hurt it's likely Manuel's ticket out of Buffalo (which would be a good thing because it means we'd have competent quarterback play) but something still tugs at me saying that in the big moment, EJ would be better

Edited by Billsfed

Let's pretend the Bills come out guns a blazin' in 2016...8-0. Then, the unthinkable happens. Just when it looks like they'll finally break the 16 year drought...Tyrod goes down with a season ending injury.

Now if this were to happen, at 8-0...how much confidence would you have in Manuel coming in and leading the Bills to a winning season and more importantly, success in the playoffs?

With Taylor I feel we can be very effective in the playoffs but certainly not dominating. And generally playoff teams kick it up a notch so i'd almost certainly have the old Fitzpatrick "waiting on the mistake to the game" feel to end our run.

For as strange as it sounds and for as unpopular as this may be...I think I'd like EJ a little better in this situation. I think there's no expectations. He'd have Ryan in his ear believing in him which I think is important for EJ. I also think he wouldn't blow the whole deal out of proportion...in the same way a young Brady didn't in his first few years.

For as many that have thrown in the towel on Manuel i'm not there yet, if Taylor plays well and doesn't get hurt it's likely Manuel's ticket out of Buffalo (which would be a good thing because it means we'd have competent quarterback play) but something still tugs at me saying that in the big moment, EJ would be better

If we're good enough to get to 8-0 with TT, we can at worst go 3-5 with EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeJ.

Playoffs is a first round exit guaranteed though.

EJ blew a Jags game out of proportion and melted down. So I don't know why you think he'd be cool and collected like Brady in the postseason.

Edited by FireChan

I'll be surprised if EJ if on the roster for this coming season. The only reason he sticks around would be they can't find anyone they feel better about. I can see them drafting a rookie, and trying to sign a more experienced backup, like another Kyle Orton.

draft yes. Vet. No.I see them draftin. Bills going into preseason with 4 and EJ getting cut

How many teams in the league can honestly say there wouldn't be much of a drop off if their starting qb goes down for the season? Happened to the Cards the year before. The expectation of the backup imo is to play a few games and manage the team to .500. Any more than that is a bonus.

EJ had his chance last year and couldn't cut it. The only part about EJ that impressed me last year was in the Jags game after the meltdown. I never expected him to come back and pay well I'm that game. Blown PI call cost the game.

We have EJ 1 more year because it's cost effective...even if he's the 3.

I can't believe people really think a team with their balls to the bandsaw when it comes to the cap would cut a QB for literally $0 in savings AND then pay his replacement. Let it go guys, its not going to happen this year.

EJ's career was over with the Watt pick 6

poor kid lost his way there. Shades of the same against the Jags. Just lost it.

But this time the team came around for him and he recovered. When Bills played Texans i almost thought Marrone said " feed him to the wolves" i have never seen worse protection

it aint over. it just aint all that and a creme pie for dessert. He is a backup. I bet he could win a couple with Woods Richie and Glenn protecting his arse

Maybe by your 5th post you will get there...

As for Ryan "believing in him", I would bet nothing could be further from the truth. This coaching staff has shown nothing but their disinterest in EJ. They are stuck with him for now.

I'll be surprised if EJ if on the roster for this coming season. The only reason he sticks around would be they can't find anyone they feel better about. I can see them drafting a rookie, and trying to sign a more experienced backup, like another Kyle Orton.

I think he will be there...his cost will be low....they will probably draft a developmental guy. There just aren't a lot of vetran, experienced guys who are likely to be a lot better. Whaley has already kind of said as much...

Maybe by your 5th post you will get there...

As for Ryan "believing in him", I would bet nothing could be further from the truth. This coaching staff has shown nothing but their disinterest in EJ. They are stuck with him for now.

They brought in Josh Johnson and had EJ deactivated in one of the games. At the time Johnson was a recent addition who didn't have a full grasp of the offense. What does that tell you about this staff's commitment to EJ?

They brought in Josh Johnson and had EJ deactivated in one of the games. At the time Johnson was a recent addition who didn't have a full grasp of the offense. What does that tell you about this staff's commitment to EJ?

They have ignored him as much as they could.

They thought Josh Johnson has more experience with the specific plan they were (re)using for game.

Either that or someone reads Buffalo News and takes it seriously.

This was what I thought, but given the tightness of the cap and the fact they are on the hook for EJ's money regardless I think EJ gets one more year as a backup.

I am also convinced the Bills are going to draft a guy. I'm not sure it is going to be the high pick a lot of us want.... but I think they are going to take a late round guy to compete for the backup job.

I can't believe people really think a team with their balls to the bandsaw when it comes to the cap would cut a QB for literally $0 in savings AND then pay his replacement. Let it go guys, its not going to happen this year.

$1.6M guaranteed salary, but his contract has offsets. So if another team were to sign him that pay in 2016 would be deducted from the cap hit. Really, it's a minimal amount when you're talking about upgrading the back up QB position on a team with a smallish starting QB. A better backup last season equates to at least one more win. That's not where you want to start penny pinching.

This was what I thought, but given the tightness of the cap and the fact they are on the hook for EJ's money regardless I think EJ gets one more year as a backup.

I am also convinced the Bills are going to draft a guy. I'm not sure it is going to be the high pick a lot of us want.... but I think they are going to take a late round guy to compete for the backup job.

I expect them to draft a guy for sure

Edited by BarleyNY

They thought Josh Johnson has more experience with the specific plan they were (re)using for game.

Either that or someone reads Buffalo News and takes it seriously.

They de-activated a backup qb for a qb who was newly added to the roster. They brought in an outside qb to replace the backup who has been with the team for a couple of years. The maneuver wasn't so much what Johnson could do for the team as it was what the coaching staff thought one of their own qbs couldn't do for the team. It certainly wasn't an expression of confidence for the qb who was already on the roster..Maybe you think it was but I don't.

You don't have to read a particular newspaper to come to that conclusion; you just need to exercise some common sense.

Edited by JohnC

They de-activated a backup qb for a qb who was newly added to the roster. They brought in an outside qb to replace the backup who has been with the team for a couple of years. The maneuver wasn't so much what Johnson could do for the team as it was what the coaching staff thought one of their own qbs couldn't do for the team. It certainly wasn't an expression of confidence for the qb who was already on the roster..Maybe you think it was but I don't.

You don't have to read a particular newspaper to come to that conclusion; you just need to exercise some common sense.

It wasn't either of those things I don't think. They had a bye week and then came back to two games in 5 days. They made a decision to split the learning for that between their two back ups for a specific purpose. It was actually a pretty clever outside the box thinking type move. Do they do it if they love EJ? No, probably not.... but beyond that it tells us they don't love EJ Manuel I'm not sure it tells us anything. The didn't bring Johnson in to replace Manuel and to say so is crazy talk - given that Manuel was backup for every other game.

I'm not sure this staff is very high, or has ever been very high, on EJ. But the Josh Johnson thing was just clever coaching - it wasn't really about the individual quarterbacks.