Clinton Political Dynasty

That isn't even in the same ballpark as seeing Russia from my house so I know about Russia. And that's probably not in her bottom ten. Besides. I'm not talking about single incredibly stupid gaffes. At all. I'm talking about 24-7 cerebral palsy.

Except Palin never said that. Tina Fey said that. Palin actually made a cogent point about border state governors having some foreign policy knowledge.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Palin never said that. Tina Fey said that. Palin actually made a cogent point about border state governors having some foreign policy knowledge.

Shhhhh.

Don't present the facts on Governor Palin, the narrative is what's important.

"On the campaign trail, one of her duties as a Vice Presidential candidate was to sit down with journalists to demonstrate her expertise in both domestic and foreign policy. During one such interview in September of 2008, ABC’s Charlie Gibson posed this question: “What insight into Russian actions, particularly during the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of this state give you?”

To which she gave an earnest, but widely ridiculed, response: “They’re our next-door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.”

She had no answer when it was first asked.

Later, after she was abused, and more prepared, I think it was the Katie Couric interview, she said something different.

It's amazing to me how many people attribute Tina Fey's parody to Palin herself.

"See it from my house" versus "They're our next door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

No real difference.

"On the campaign trail, one of her duties as a Vice Presidential candidate was to sit down with journalists to demonstrate her expertise in both domestic and foreign policy. During one such interview in September of 2008, ABC’s Charlie Gibson posed this question: “What insight into Russian actions, particularly during the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of this state give you?”

To which she gave an earnest, but widely ridiculed, response: “They’re our next-door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.”

Later, after she was abused, and more prepared, I think it was the Katie Couric interview, she said something different.

"See it from my house" versus "They're our next door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

No real difference.

Substantial difference.

Not when the question raised to her was "What insight into Russian actions, particularly during the last couple weeks, does the proximity of this state give you?

No difference at all really.

Her comments were essentially that she was the Governor of a state which essentially borders Russia, which implies she would be likely to have a greater knowledge of some potions of the Russian state than, say, her counterpart in Florida, who would likely have a greater handle on Cuban affairs. She has a folksy way of speaking, which I don't find particularly endearing; but Tina Fey's parody Ralph Wiggamed a valid response into "My cat's breath smells like cat food," which isn't a reasonable interpretation.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

No real difference.

How about providing Gibson's follow up question & her answer?

No real difference.

No........you continue to be incorrect.

There is a substantial difference.

One is true

and one is false

Why do continue to claim otherwise ?

1988 New York Times article reported that:

To the Russian mainland from St. Lawrence Island, a bleak ice-bound expanse the size of Long Island out in the middle of the Bering Sea, the distance is 37 miles. From high ground there or from the Air Force facility at Tin City atop Cape Prince of Wales, the westernmost edge of mainland North America, on a clear day you can see Siberia with the naked eye.

The generic answer that didn't answer the question about Georgia? That we can't repeat Cold War and we all need to get along like Rodney King?

No, the one where she provided context to her answer of Russia's proximity.

No real difference.

And as our next door neighbors they might be startled when Uncle Joe shoots his double barreled straight up in the air.

That's not what she did. She talked in generics about the cold war.

And didn't answer the question on Georgia.

It was pretty shocking to see a politician not directly answer the question asked of them. I can see why such a unique incident has left such an impression after all these years.