Like a phoenix from the ashes....Modkins offered SF OC job.

FireChan

Hope he took good notes learning at Chan's side.

I'm sure that's exactly why he took the job. Obviously, he knew he wouldn't be a fully-empowered OC. But he had the chance to get some familiarity in the role with a guy who's been at times a good OC.

Congrats to Curtis. This should be another great learning experience for him.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I presume Chip will call the plays as Chan did before with Curtis.

It appears that Curtis is a natural fit as OC for people named Chan, Chip . . . maybe later Chin (if Bill Cowher ever gets back into coaching).

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

On #49ers coordinators: Eric Mangini was fired, as @alexmarvez said. They offered OC job to Curtis Modkins, as @AdamSchefter indicated.

Ho leee Sheeeeet!

I thought this was playin' but it's for reals. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/22/curtis-modkins-becomes-offensive-coordinator-in-san-francisco/

I guess Chip wants someone polite to hold the headset cord and do the gruntwork while he's calling the plays?

glorified offensive assistant role. it's Chip's offense. great learning opportunity though. who wouldn't want to learn Chip's offense inside and out? if he has any success there he will have plenty of real OC job offers from other teams wanting to model their offense after Chip's

ps, I'm glad we get to keep Anthony Lynn. i thought for sure he would be the choice

glorified offensive assistant role. it's Chip's offense. great learning opportunity though. who wouldn't want to learn Chip's offense inside and out? if he has any success there he will have plenty of real OC job offers from other teams wanting to model their offense after Chip's

ps, I'm glad we get to keep Anthony Lynn. i thought for sure he would be the choice

Is it possible they are confusing the two?

lynn actually withdrew from consideration earlier today

Gruden once said he wanted to be an assistant coach for Chip, just to learn his system.

Smart move by Modkins.

If Modkins combines the best of Gailey with the best of Kelly, he'll be a good 'real' OC some day.

Gruden was fascinated by the 4 or 5 guys holding up signs on the sidelines, and all but one giving fake signals!

Didn't Gruden say he wanted to be one of those guys?

George Edwards.. when he was here you would have had a hard time finding 1 person who though Edwards knew anything about defense. currently running the vikings kick ass D

Edwards had almost no talent when he was running the D here. I always felt he got a bad rap. Wannstedt was worse with better talent.