1-22: Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan on WGR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comment from presser (haven't listened yet, just saw on Twitter) -- is he referring to Mario

@johnwawrow

Rex: "I've always had a system that relies on .. putting our players in the best position to be successful for all 11, not one."

Edited by YoloinOhio

He is very restricted with how he and the Bills have handled the cap. No amount of magic will fix it unless you think releasing 1/3 of the roster is a good idea.

As long as they don't go crazy with their RFA tenders (and they shouldn't need to), they won't have to gut the roster. Most of the guys that are RFAs will probably take 1-year deals with 10-15% increases without batting an eyelash. They could easily re-sign Powell, Charles, Bryant, and Rambo without cresting $5M in cap attribution.

Mario is an obvious casualty after his dropoff in 2015, and guys like Dixon, Lawson, and Carpenter can save easy money as well.

McKelvin is already willing to take a pay cut, and you could potentially get Urbik to do the same.

The tough decisions will be what to do with Kyle Williams (who could save $5.5M against the cap and isn't a great fit for a 30 front) and the safety position. One of Graham or Aaron Williams needs to have their cap hit reduced, because they're getting too much money for too little production. They seem to be willing to wait on Aaron, so that means that Graham is more likely to get the boot.

He is very restricted with how he and the Bills have handled the cap. No amount of magic will fix it unless you think releasing 1/3 of the roster is a good idea.

How important is it to keep an 8-8 roster intact. Its pretty much the same group that was up and coming in 2014, and 2015. They are either not as good as people thought, or they are underachievers or the coaching simply sucks. I don't see why keeping everyone together changes any of those things.

How important is it to keep an 8-8 roster intact. Its pretty much the same group that was up and coming in 2014, and 2015. They are either not as good as people thought, or they are underachievers or the coaching simply sucks. I don't see why keeping everyone together changes any of those things.

I have always been of the opinion of overrated and flawed roster construction. But, according to Whaley's comments today he is indicating that it is going to be tough to even come up with the funds to just get Glenn and Incognito under contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/22/doug-whaley-our-cap-situation-is-pretty-restrictive-right-now/

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Pretty much a combo of all three.

Interesting comment from presser (haven't listened yet, just saw on Twitter) -- is he referring to Mario

@johnwawrow

Rex: "I've always had a system that relies on .. putting our players in the best position to be successful for all 11, not one."

That is a very interesting quote

CBF

I am not defending the Roby Ryan hiring at all cuz I am in total wait and see mode but.....

it does need to be said.....yes he keeps getting fired....he keeps getting hired to

No one was going to hire Rob Ryan again, other than his brother/Pegulas.

@johnwawrow

Doesn't really matter if he's talking about anyone specific. Fact is he failed in 2015. We can hope that we see improvement in 2016, but that's all it will be...hope.

Rex: Dennis Thurman still defensive coordinator, I’m still calling plays

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/22/rex-dennis-thurman-still-defensive-coordinator-im-still-calling-plays/

Thurman: "I have no idea what he’s talking about. See again, you guys assume I know what’s going on. I have no idea."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/01/248356/

Edited by papazoid

The Bills are in a bit of cap trouble. Right now, they're projected to START above the cap by $3.8 million based on a cap of $150 million. For some, the sky is falling and we are not going to be able to sign anyone. To that I say nonsense. Here's some quick math for you:

M.Williams - Buffalo not taking $19.9m cap hit this year. Get back $12.9m making the cut.

K.Williams - Doubt they take $8m cap hit when they can save $5m.

L.McKelvin - Counts $4.9m if left as is and saves $3.9m if cut. I expect restructure.

D.Carpenter - No way they accept a $2.8m cap figure when they can save $1.7m by cutting.

K.Urbik - Maybe they keep him for $2.6m but save $1.8m by cutting. I don't think he's critical to the line at all.

B.Dixon - Absolute waste on the roster for $1.3m when they can cut and save $1.2m.

J.Wynn - Another waste of space for $1.1m when they can save $1m by cutting.

By my tally, that's $27.5m in claw back before you talk about signing Glenn and Incognito. Even after those guys, they probably have a modest amount of space for free agents. They also have quite a few for the NFL minimums that could go to get more space. Of the guys above, I think they restructure Kyle and Leodis and the others are as good as gone. Just my two cents.

The Bills are in a bit of cap trouble. Right now, they're projected to START above the cap by $3.8 million based on a cap of $150 million. For some, the sky is falling and we are not going to be able to sign anyone. To that I say nonsense. Here's some quick math for you:

M.Williams - Buffalo not taking $19.9m cap hit this year. Get back $12.9m making the cut.

L.McKelvin - Counts $4.9m if left as is and saves $3.9m if cut. I expect restructure.

D.Carpenter - No way they accept a $2.8m cap figure when they can save $1.7m by cutting.

K.Urbik - Maybe they keep him for $2.6m but save $1.8m by cutting. I don't think he's critical to the line at all.

B.Dixon - Absolute waste on the roster for $1.3m when they can cut and save $1.2m.

By my tally, that's $27.5m in claw back before you talk about signing Glenn and Incognito. Even after those guys, they probably have a modest amount of space for free agents. They also have quite a few for the NFL minimums that could go to get more space. Of the guys above, I think they restructure Kyle and Leodis and the others are as good as gone. Just my two cents.

all reasonable

Glenn ($11), Incognito ($7), Kyle ($5), McKelvin ($2), #1 draft pick ($2.5)

there goes the $27.5

all reasonable

Glenn ($11), Incognito ($7), Kyle ($5), McKelvin ($2), #1 draft pick ($2.5)

there goes the $27.5

Don't forget the obvious Clay restructure. They'll be fine; they won't be big players in the FA market outside of their own signings, and they'll need another solid draft.

I think McKelvin and Urbik will be pay cuts rather than restructures or releases. I think Wynn stays unless they plan to re-sign Carrington.

Manny Lawson is another guy that could be let go.

Don't forget the obvious Clay restructure. They'll be fine; they won't be big players in the FA market outside of their own signings, and they'll need another solid draft.

I think they'd rather not restructure Clay if they can manage it...it would be much better for 2017-2019 if they don't.

Clays roster bonus this year is $10m. I didn't even remember that making my list, but certainly they can recap some of that with a restructure. They will have to offer him more guaranteed money as his salary and roster bonus are both guaranteed right now ($11.5m total). Cutting him outright would take his $13.5m cap number up to $19.5m. That point goes to TheBandit for sure.

Edited by Luxy312

The Rex bashig that goes on here is commical and unwarrented. For once and for all time please reminder yourself he didn;t have anywhere near the same personal as Schwarz

1 Spikes , admittedly he was a poor fit in passing situation, there where times he lead a run defense that was excellent. Many on this board lameneted when he left.

2 Searcy and A williams . The 2015 Bills suffered through horrible safety play . Graham and Duke williams seemed to be on the field when ever there was a big play

3 Kyle missed most of the season, you know the Pro Bowl guy.

4 Mario , gave little effort. He went from a Pro Bowl player to a cancer and UNDER ACHIEVER

5 Bradham and Gilmore both missed multiple games

5 Wynn, althought a smaller piece he player very well in 2014

Some will say they added Darby which is true , but Mckelvin actully play well in 2014, not elite but certainly wasn;t and issue

Yes Rex shoots his mouth off, but Rex did not destroy the defense . Circumstances did.

enough ALREADY

In Addition the difference between 8-8 and 10 - 6 was Ej and his horrendous start to the Jacksonville game , and while the Jets played Cleveland the Bills played Cinncy

The Rex bashig that goes on here is commical and unwarrented. For once and for all time please reminder yourself he didn;t have anywhere near the same personal as Schwarz

1 Spikes , admittedly he was a poor fit in passing situation, there where times he lead a run defense that was excellent. Many on this board lameneted when he left.

2 Searcy and A williams . The 2015 Bills suffered through horrible safety play . Graham and Duke williams seemed to be on the field when ever there was a big play

4 Mario , gave little effort. He went from a Pro Bowl player to a cancer and UNDER ACHIEVER

Some will say they added Darby which is true , but Mckelvin actully play well in 2014, not elite but certainly wasn;t and issue

Yes Rex shoots his mouth off, but Rex did not destroy the defense . Circumstances did.

enough ALREADY

In Addition the difference between 8-8 and 10 - 6 was Ej and his horrendous start to the Jacksonville game , and while the Jets played Cleveland the Bills played Cinncy

Finally a voice of reason. Well said.

enough ALREADY

So what you're saying is that the team did worse with better QB play. That's hard to do in the NFL.